Montoya and Meaney - Why!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just saying.. i really think Meaney should be in reserves to help with his development..
I don't agree, some players need time in CC to eliminate their errors, Meaney no longer has many (next to zero) errors in his game. What he definitely needs developing are his NRL level game awareness and physicality which he isn't going to get in CC. Time at NRL level playing on the wing may well be just what he needs.

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't agree, some players need time in CC to eliminate their errors, Meaney no longer has many (next to zero) errors in his game. What he definitely needs developing are his NRL level game awareness and physicality which he isn't going to get in CC. Time at NRL level playing on the wing may well be just what he needs.

Go Dogs
He will have a better go developing his attacking game playing fullback in reserves than playing wing in NRL.. thats what I reckon

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I really don't know why we signed some of the players we have. It's almost like the club panicked and signed them.

Instead of Meaney we could have had Tesi Niu (now signed with Broncos)

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
He has few errors because he does SFA. Never in position to further the attack and defends behind the line.Has no idea how to be a ball player.Definately needs time in CC to improve these attributes if he wants to be a FG fullback. As for playing on the wing he’ll no,must be kissing some serious arse to remain in firsts and we all know who’s

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the dogs didn’t sign Blake from the panthers? Off to the eels I hear. This guy was a machine not long ago.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why the dogs didn’t sign Blake from the panthers? Off to the eels I hear. This guy was a machine not long ago.
His average at best, 8m glad we didn’t sign him
I’d rather wait a year and look for a better prospect

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Because in his entire career he's failed to complete a full season. Normally plays half a season and spends the rest on the sidelines injured.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was on a 4 year deal on big bucks so it might have come down to who was willing to pick up most of the tab before Penrith released him? I agree he’s a good player and would be nice to have but not worth breaking the bank for.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You beat me to it Dingo. I was about to post the exact same thing! We also had stars like Charlie Leano, Gary Warburton, Aaron Groom, Daniel Holdsworth and Nick Kouparitsas in that team.
How did we go from such a good side in 04 to a shit side and wooden spoon four years later?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He will have a better go developing his attacking game playing fullback in reserves than playing wing in NRL.. thats what I reckon
He's had plenty of time in CC both at Newcastle and with us and it has served him well. But the fact is there's a huge step in intensity from CC to NRL and he is one that will benefit from the step up in experience. Whereas many of the others have too many errors in their games and need to eradicate them before they earn regular runs in NRL.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He has few errors because he does SFA. Never in position to further the attack and defends behind the line.Has no idea how to be a ball player.Definately needs time in CC to improve these attributes if he wants to be a FG fullback. As for playing on the wing he’ll no,must be kissing some serious arse to remain in firsts and we all know who’s
Despite plenty of time in CC if he hasn't learnt (as you claim) those things then he isn't going to now. Playing with DWZ might just be the learning experience that he needs. Let's face it, he's no worse than the alternatives right now. Until Hightower is ready to return there's not much competition.

Go Dogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How did we go from such a good side in 04 to a shit side and wooden spoon four years later?
For starters we got rid of Thurston to keep Anasta! We also got rid of Asotasi, Price fucked of, Sonny-Bill got greedy, Reni lost it for a while, and basically there were too many big egos. Also the salary cap, like any team that puts a great roster together.

The Roosters, Melbourne and the Broncos have had the best formula for staying competitive. Buy 2 or 3 great Marquee players and either sign them long term or replace them with like for like. They also have the best recruitment year after year.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For starters we got rid of Thurston to keep Anasta! We also got rid of Asotasi, Price fucked of, Sonny-Bill got greedy, Reni lost it for a while, and basically there were too many big egos. Also the salary cap, like any team that puts a great roster together.

The Roosters, Melbourne and the Broncos have had the best formula for staying competitive. Buy 2 or 3 great Marquee players and either sign them long term or replace them with like for like. They also have the best recruitment year after year.
Lol u mean rort cap or have 1 mil n over in tpa’s

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For starters we got rid of Thurston to keep Anasta!
I thought we couldn't keep both Thurston, who wanted to play half back, and Shifty (robbed of the Daily M in 2002, I'm still pissed about that).

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the cap dramas from 2002 finally caught up with us. 2005 was also a horror season as we finished 12th after winning the comp!

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Despite plenty of time in CC if he hasn't learnt (as you claim) those things then he isn't going to now. Playing with DWZ might just be the learning experience that he needs. Let's face it, he's no worse than the alternatives right now. Until Hightower is ready to return there's not much competition.

Go Dogs
Wow you have some real man love for Meaney, he will only learn from trying to do what he fails at,can’t do that watching someone else.Off to CC or beyond.He is only there as Pay brought him and doesn’t want to look any more pathetic as a coach as he does now.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Also rivalled for greatness by Ben Csilowski the guy who:
1. generally had negative post contact metres and
2. Had an abscess on his head for about 4 months then finally sought assistance from a doctor who discovered somone's tooth stuck in Ben's head.

It's a true story. Crazy but true.
Immediately after his Dogs stint Ben was actually signed as a marquee man by QCup outfit Wynnum Manly and was appointed Club Captain. He finished the season in Wynnum's reserve grade team. True story

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow you have some real man love for Meaney, he will only learn from trying to do what he fails at,can’t do that watching someone else.Off to CC or beyond.He is only there as Pay brought him and doesn’t want to look any more pathetic as a coach as he does now.
Please can you actually read what I post, how the hell did you get “man love” out of “he’s no worse than the alternatives”. That’s some serious misinterpretation.

Go Dogs