Montoya and Meaney - Why!!

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Peter Sterling keeps saying that Meaney has been really good this year. Someone help me out here, I don't see it. Sure he is safe under the high ball and an acceptable defender, but I don't see him involved in attacking plays on the opposition goaline... no looping around the back, looking for opportunities. Sterling actually said that Meaney at fullback, DWZ at wing was better...
Obviously a lot of people don't watch our games that closely and only notice the good things like his ability to defuse kicks and stuff like that but they don't notice his lack of attacking involvement.
Meaney reminds me of those annoying teenager I play OzTag against that are built like AFL players and have nothing other than straight line speed

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Peter Sterling keeps saying that Meaney has been really good this year. Someone help me out here, I don't see it. Sure he is safe under the high ball and an acceptable defender, but I don't see him involved in attacking plays on the opposition goaline... no looping around the back, looking for opportunities. Sterling actually said that Meaney at fullback, DWZ at wing was better...
He managed to cross the line for a disallowed try last match. I see your point about him not chiming in on backline plays. But support running has been an issue for our whole team. Singling Meaney out for it isn't fair on him. We'll see how DWZ performs at the back. It looked nice seeing him back up JMK last week. But our main attacking play this year has been to spread the ball wide or to throw the ball to a forward near the line in hopes of them muscling their way over.

I've been hoping to see Meaney chime in more. But the team has seemingly not grown in confidence as the year goes on. Aside from the occasional splash of confident play when we're behind it's been hard to single out more than a couple of players that have stood out. Smith has finished plays well. Foran has been creative in patches. JMK has been improving gradually. Cogger has on occasion scored some tries through deceptive show and go plays. Okunbor monstered smaller players before he was injured. Napa scored some tries early in the year by just barging through the middle. Lewis had a couple of decent games before his confidence dropped.

If we had several players threatening in attack each game those defending against us might not be doing so as confidently. Part of the problem has been that when we do throw caution to the wind early on it often leads to errors and we go into our shell until the scoreline is against us. The points we do score usually come in a flurry. But the issue with an inexperienced roster is that pressure can make them compound errors by making a flurry of errors in quick succession too.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ex bulldogs always take the piss out of us when they play against us. Have been for years. Look at mason braith ogre with roosters barba ennis Hughes reni with sharks shit even Charlie Tonga did with the roosters. We are shit. Morris will run riot on on dog shit back line

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Don't forget about the best front rower of all time in Fred briggs
Also rivalled for greatness by Ben Csilowski the guy who:
1. generally had negative post contact metres and
2. Had an abscess on his head for about 4 months then finally sought assistance from a doctor who discovered somone's tooth stuck in Ben's head.

It's a true story. Crazy but true.

Last edited:

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
In answer to your question, Tim Winitana and Heka Nanai 2008 may be worse than these two.
I thought the same but I reckon this pairing is much worse. At least the prior scored tries occasionally

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Dean Pay has the inside information that the NRL will adopt a draft system in place next year where last place gets first pick & much, much more.

We're Tanking Baby!!!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not everyone will agree with the selections. Thats their opinion and they are entitled to it. But it doesnt mean they are right.
The majority of "experts" on here have probably never ever played the game. Learning from Friday Night Footy is not a good place to learn.
Players like Holland, Lichaa, Montoya, Tolman, Napa, Elliott, Smith, Meaney, Crichton, have all been criticised.
But just who do you replace them with. Theres buggar all. Harper, Too'maga, Kalache, Taulau, and others are promising players.
But they are just not up to first grade standard.
The level of intensity in first grade is miles above the reggies. These guys are not the answer.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bottom of every bottle !!!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, keep Meaney at FB, DWZ at centre, Monti at Wing. DWZ is a better FB, but Meaney at wing is bad while Monti at centre is diabolical.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also rivalled for greatness by Ben Csilowski the guy who:
1. generally had negative post contact metres and
2. Had an abscess on his head for about 4 months then finally sought assistance from a doctor who discovered somone's tooth stuck in Ben's head.

It's a true story. Crazy but true.
Fualalo is the new scissor!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh it's pretty hard to understand why he plays Montoya and Meaney when we have Tom Trbojevic and Tedesco in reserves.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In answer to your question, Tim Winitana and Heka Nanai 2008 may be worse than these two.
I still remember Nanai & Winitana pulling a game out of their backside and tearing the saints apart in our first game against the Saints at ANZ in 2008..

Similar to that MotM game Roberts had against Broncos..

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's because he is being overcalled by Tolman when we are near the tryline, lol.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I still remember Nanai & Winitana pulling a game out of their backside and tearing the saints apart in our first game against the Saints at ANZ in 2008..

Similar to that MotM game Roberts had against Broncos..
They still sucked lol. Give these two a few weeks maybe they will suck less.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They still sucked lol. Give these two a few weeks maybe they will suck less.
Just saying.. i really think Meaney should be in reserves to help with his development..