RUMOUR: Latrell Mitchell Consolidated Thread

Abu Dhabi Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
This is the real question. If Manly already have the T bros, DCE, Taupau and Co why arent they winning the comp as they are ticking all the right boxes according to some.

Where is the bulldog DNA coming from? Who is going to get the most out of the players?
I specifically said to have a crack at the premiership. There is alot more that goes to winning a comp behind the scenes. Manly were coached by Barrett, and its quite obvious he couldnt get the best out of them, as you can see Hasler has this season.

What is DNA these days?

Were Thurston, Coote & Granville Cowboys Juniors?

Were Maloney, Ennis, Barba Cronulla Juniors?

Were Tedesco, Keary and Cronk Roosters Juniors?

Smith, Cronk & Slater were brought over to Storm and they "built" the Storm "DNA"

In regards to the coach, Pay definitely hasnt got it as a 1st grade coach. He would be an ideal juniors coach

Abu Dhabi Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
But they also had Michael Jennings in his prime at centre.

But they also had Taumalolo at lock and O'Neil at centre.

But they also had Bird at centre and the killer wide playing 2nd row of Lewis and Graham.

They had Mitchell and Manu as centres.

And they have only won one premiership since, proof that even they need a decent centre/wide playing 2nd row to complete the puzzle.

Mitchell if recruited serves 2 purposes, firstly he is recognised as the best centre going around, which means he also will attract other players who want to play with him. It would also demonstrate that we are serious with our recruiting, which in itself will also attract higher calibre players who want the chance to win a premiership.

I don't think anyone will argue that decent spine is required, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that a decent centre / wide running back row is also a prerequisite.

We shouldn't overlook the fact that decent spine players aren't exactly common, let alone come along at the same time in a matched set (ie; 1 x hooker, 1 x 1/2, 1 x 5/8 and 1 x fullback). So it's not like we can pass on Mitchell and rely on the vague hope that 4 decent spine players will suddenly become available.

Go Dogs
I dont know how to quote like you have, but to keep it short and simple -

1. Players you mentioned - how much were they on and what % of the cap did they take?

2. "Decent" outside back is not one that is on a million dollars.

3. Decent spine players are definitely hard to come across, and when they are not available, it does not mean you go spending dumb money on players, because you have it in the kitty.

4. Lets spend $1m on Mitchell and when a player in the spine comes up, we cant bring them across due to money being tied up uselessly for a centre. We are where we are, because of the mismanagement of our cap.

Top tiered clubs like the Roosters, Storm, Souths & just recently Cronulla do not make these rookie mistakes

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I was all for this "Dogs DNA" thing that was so fondly sold upon us recently and some of us remember it BUT I now know that that's shite from a bygone era and no longer exists. For it to exist it requires things that no longer lives within the sport. Things like loyalty and pride. The reality is money and a generation that couldn't give two shites about well.......anything other then money is who plays the sport. SO new policy should be, buy a premiership because that's how it's done now and any admin staff at the dogs who thinks otherwise should be shown the curb. We need ruthless people who will not take shite and know how to succeed and will do it without resting.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would start with the hooker - Jayden Brailey. It is obvious from Jayden himself who is looking to leave at the end of the year for an opportunity as a starting hooker. He is no Smith or Cook, but he is very capable.

Turbo brothers - Very unlikely they will leave Manly, BUT i would throw an unbelievable offer and make sure every Tom, Dick n Harry in Australia is aware of the offer Canterbury has thrown there way. $2.2m for both brothers. $1.3m-$1.4m for Tom and 800k-900k for Jake, and offer one of the boys the Captaincy.

Halves - This is an extremely difficult one as there is not much on offer at all. We are fucked
We can have the Australian team but without a proper coach we have nothing
Once we get a real proper coach we can attract quality players
I will go on record...The volcano will erupt !!! on many fronts

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is dean pay getting sacked anytime soon?

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not build a squad around a centre and a million dollar one at that.

It was obvious to see last night in the Origin what a good and experienced halve does and brings to a team - James Maloney

All previous NRL premiership winners had a complete spine

18' - Tedesco, Keary, Cronk, Friend
17' - Slater, Munster, Cronk, Smith
16' - Barba, Maloney, Townsend, Ennis
15' - Coote, Morgan, Thurston, Granville

And so on, and so on and so on.

Interesting Facts;

2013 - Roosters recruited Maloney to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

2015 - Cowboys recruited Jake Granville to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

2016 - Cronulla recruited James Maloney to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

2018 - Roosters recruited James Tedesco and Cooper Cronk to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

If people cannot see and realise you are no hope without a complete spine to have a crack at the premiership, than these people just cannot be helped!

Bellamy got rid of Inglis because he knew his spine was more important than a centre.

Latrell definitely is a good player, but he aint worth the contract Canterbury is "supposedly" throwing at him.

We are NOWHERE NEAR close at having a crack at the 8, let alone 4 with Meaney, Cogger, Lewis, Foran, Lichaa and JMK.
Great post dude. I believe we are half way there. With 1. Dwz 6. Foran thats half of a good spine. Our priority should and has been for a long time to sign a gun halfback and hooker. Its imperative to sign a gun halfback and hooker to finish off our spine. Only question is who? Who are the gun 7 and 9s that we are a realist chance of signing? Honestly cant think of any. Remember we are trying to win comp. Who are the 7 and 9s that can help dwz and foran?

Definitely Brandon Smith. Surely his getting shitty waiting for cam smith to retire. Make an offer he cant refuse. As for a halfback. I cant think of one. If not Brandon Smith then surly theres at least one gun hooker from the esl we can sign that wants to the nrl. i.e Josh Hodgson.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Great post dude. I believe we are half way there. With 1. Dwz 6. Foran thats half of a good spine. Our priority should and has been for a long time to sign a gun halfback and hooker. Its imperative to sign a gun halfback and hooker to finish off our spine. Only question is who? Who are the gun 7 and 9s that we are a realist chance of signing? Honestly cant think of any. Remember we are trying to win comp. Who are the 7 and 9s that can help dwz and foran?

Definitely Brandon Smith. Surely his getting shitty waiting for cam smith to retire. Make an offer he cant refuse. As for a halfback. I cant think of one. If not Brandon Smith then surly theres at least one gun hooker from the esl we can sign that wants to the nrl. i.e Josh Hodgson.
DWZ stop gap fullback and is really a winger, Foran isn't getting younger and already showed he's broken and good for half a season. It'd be nice if we did have half of a good spine, but we don't even have that.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
it be nice if the club said they are releasing lichaa, and have signed a decent hooker, im dreading the club issue statement saying we are proud to announce lichaa is with us for another 12 months

Abu Dhabi Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Without a doubt!

I have been told that Pay will not be here next year in accordance with his performance clauses which were put in place when he was given a 1 year extension.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Is it possible that your concept of "building a club around a player" is different then others? I see Mitchell right now as a player that convinces other players that we are not such a bad place to some and play for. Signed not just to play for us but to be a magnet, a beacon to attract other players. Hence it would not be wrong to term his as someone to build a team around. Whether he is captain material or not is irrelevant, although it is not yet written in stone that he could never be a team captain, there are plenty of examples of players that no one thought would make good captains but they do.
That's what I think the club are trying to do. Drag a big name player to the club that other players will want to play alongside.

However far more important to a player would be knowing who the coach will be, or if by 2021 the club will have a new rookie coach in place.

The problem we face by making huge long term offers like this is you attract a player to the club for the wrong reasons (money) rather than wanting to play for pride in the jersey.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's what I think the club are trying to do. Drag a big name player to the club that other players will want to play alongside.

However far more important to a player would be knowing who the coach will be, or if by 2021 the club will have a new rookie coach in place.

The problem we face by making huge long term offers like this is you attract a player to the club for the wrong reasons (money) rather than wanting to play for pride in the jersey.
The cold hard facts of league these days is players want the cash there is no longer playing for the pride in the jersey.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do not build a squad around a centre and a million dollar one at that.

It was obvious to see last night in the Origin what a good and experienced halve does and brings to a team - James Maloney

All previous NRL premiership winners had a complete spine

18' - Tedesco, Keary, Cronk, Friend
17' - Slater, Munster, Cronk, Smith
16' - Barba, Maloney, Townsend, Ennis
15' - Coote, Morgan, Thurston, Granville

And so on, and so on and so on.

Interesting Facts;

2013 - Roosters recruited Maloney to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

2015 - Cowboys recruited Jake Granville to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

2016 - Cronulla recruited James Maloney to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

2018 - Roosters recruited James Tedesco and Cooper Cronk to complete their spine and they took out the premiership the same year

If people cannot see and realise you are no hope without a complete spine to have a crack at the premiership, than these people just cannot be helped!

Bellamy got rid of Inglis because he knew his spine was more important than a centre.

Latrell definitely is a good player, but he aint worth the contract Canterbury is "supposedly" throwing at him.

We are NOWHERE NEAR close at having a crack at the 8, let alone 4 with Meaney, Cogger, Lewis, Foran, Lichaa and JMK.
Fair enough post. I agree. Perhaps Latrell is shining at the roosters because as you said they have a complete spine. Maybe he will look average at the dogs with our current spine

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really? Take away their TPA’s and see how much pride in the jersey they have.
coming to the bulldogs would be committing career suicide, who woud want to sign up for 2 or 3 years of battling to win a few games a year, i dont know why players wont come to the club i would only be guessing, but i can see why they wouldn't want to be here, we have salary cap issues, poor coach, poor on field performances, board room drama, throwing big dollare at any player or players wont work, if we dont have the coach capable of getting the top results we need to be successful

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
coming to the bulldogs would be committing career suicide, who woud want to sign up for 2 or 3 years of battling to win a few games a year, i dont know why players wont come to the club i would only be guessing, but i can see why they wouldn't want to be here, we have salary cap issues, poor coach, poor on field performances, board room drama, throwing big dollare at any player or players wont work, if we dont have the coach capable of getting the top results we need to be successful
money will attract at least 99% of nrl players, we have to over pay at the start to get rid of that reputation..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
By "Pay cut" your obviously meaning "paper bags"?
Really? Take away their TPA’s and see how much pride in the jersey they have.
You know what they say.. "when you think your company has enough cleaners and receptionists .... hire another one". It's just such a small world that said receptionists/cleaners happen to be related to players.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Without a doubt!

I have been told that Pay will not be here next year in accordance with his performance clauses which were put in place when he was given a 1 year extension.
Mate for a self confessed newbie you're an astute poster. Keep it up...agree with you just wonder who your alt is!