The next 12 months

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sense a decent A team will go up against them (maybe Turvey or Coorey will get some interest)... or who knows, maybe Gould will show interest amongst others.

I think whoever is contesting will buy time and wait until the Pay situation/end of season occurs. If nothing changes from now and theres a dream team assembled (Turvey, Price, Coorey, Gould, ???) the Anderson lead board could be sunk.

Chris needs to step back, because he's pushing others away in this scenario and it won't end well and could cost the entire board their spots.
There stacked the current
He will go eventually needs to man up and resign but won’t they already have a replacement lined up
I like the way the board working behind the scenes come the off season we should be very active

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Congratulations the most misinformed post of the year. At least get a fact or truth in. The Leagues Club was being poorly administered under the previous regime.
Dr George publicly backed Dib & the old board & when they were so convincingly voted out, he did the honourable thing fell on his sword & resigned. The Leagues Club is once again flourishing ultimately to benefit the Football Club.
How was the leagues club being "poorly administered" when Peponis was Chairman.
Please give some examples.

Abu Dhabi Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
lol @ Peponis.

No more Greeks or Lebs to be running in any board committee's or levels.

I'm an Arab, and trust me, when it comes to self-interest these are the cream of the crops.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How was the leagues club being "poorly administered" when Peponis was Chairman.
Please give some examples.
You have a very short memory or choose to read & hear what you want to.
The Charter of the Leagues is to fund the Football Club subsidising it by at least $8m per year!

Prior to last years football club elections, Peponis & Dib altered the constitution of the leagues club by APPOINTING 2 extra directors to the board in Maurice Iemma, a rabid Dragons supporter & investment banker George Kanaan effectively increasing the board seats from 7to 9, essentially giving the Peponis/Dib faction majority vote.
The ramifications of this:” the Bulldogs will no longer have control of the financial future of the Club.
In summary, the objective was to undermine the Anderson ticket in effect dividing & creating a chasm within the boards.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Charter of the Leagues is to fund the Football Club subsidising it by at least $8m per year!

Prior to last years football club elections, Peponis & Dib altered the constitution of the leagues club by APPOINTING 2 extra directors to the board in Maurice Iemma, a rabid Dragons supporter & investment banker George Kanaan effectively increasing the board seats from 7to 9, essentially giving the Peponis/Dib faction majority vote.
The ramifications of this:” the Bulldogs will no longer have control of the financial future of the Club.
In summary, the objective was to undermine the Anderson ticket in effect dividing & creating a chasm within the boards.
Whether that was the agenda or not is irrelevant, because it was never going to work any way.

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
lol @ Peponis.

No more Greeks or Lebs to be running in any board committee's or levels.

I'm an Arab, and trust me, when it comes to self-interest these are the cream of the crops.
Is it the cream of the crop or is it the ashta of the knafeh..

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Ok so you seem to have a misunderstanding of, or don’t know the difference between “poor administration” which is what you claimed was the problem at the Leagues club and “political intrigue” which is what you describe.

There was no poor administration of the Leagues club at all under Peponis, financial performance was good and there were zero issues with corporate governance and/or corporate compliance. This is almost self-evident given Peponis’ position as deputy chairman of ClubsNSW.

You are aware of the Best Practice Guideline – OPERATIONS – by Clubs NSW which will have to be implemented by all registered clubs in NSW right? Yes Peponis appointed the independent directors well before the required deadline however I very much doubt that Iemma and Kanaan would have been Peponis’ puppets which you seem to suggest. Do you have any information that we don’t in this regard?

To me it seems your problem is that Peponis didn’t roll over a meekly and accept the new board. I don’t know, maybe he should have but he had been chairman of the football then the Leagues club for a long time and letting go isn’t always easy.

As it stands now we have a former club captain, a premiership captain and Australian Captain who had an uninterrupted involvement with the club from the start of his playing days in 1974 effectively run out of town.

Finally this “the Bulldogs will no longer have control of the financial future of the Club” Canterbury is unique among the NRL clubs were the football club controls the league club. The financial statements are presented and audited as a consolidated entity. There was never any possibility that the leagues would not continue to financially support the football club.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I'm supportive of the current board. When you look at who we have released and we still on cap limit shows how fucked the previous board were. The previous board put all the faith and clubs future in hasler and ride him to glory. While absolutely doing sweet f/a when that plan wasn't looking the goods in 2015. So benefit of doubt to current board. Next year or Nov 1 when we can start the 2021 roster build. I will add This though, tpa's are a must in today game to get to the top and stay there. We need to get 2 big names with loaded tpa's to move quick and stack talent. Talent in big names but 18 , 19 year old talent that may not be ready in 2021 but 2023 . Can't make the win now mistake des n dib made

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so you seem to have a misunderstanding of, or don’t know the difference between “poor administration” which is what you claimed was the problem at the Leagues club and “political intrigue” which is what you describe.

There was no poor administration of the Leagues club at all under Peponis, financial performance was good and there were zero issues with corporate governance and/or corporate compliance. This is almost self-evident given Peponis’ position as deputy chairman of ClubsNSW.

You are aware of the Best Practice Guideline – OPERATIONS – by Clubs NSW which will have to be implemented by all registered clubs in NSW right? Yes Peponis appointed the independent directors well before the required deadline however I very much doubt that Iemma and Kanaan would have been Peponis’ puppets which you seem to suggest. Do you have any information that we don’t in this regard?

To me it seems your problem is that Peponis didn’t roll over a meekly and accept the new board. I don’t know, maybe he should have but he had been chairman of the football then the Leagues club for a long time and letting go isn’t always easy.

As it stands now we have a former club captain, a premiership captain and Australian Captain who had an uninterrupted involvement with the club from the start of his playing days in 1974 effectively run out of town.

Finally this “the Bulldogs will no longer have control of the financial future of the Club” Canterbury is unique among the NRL clubs were the football club controls the league club. The financial statements are presented and audited as a consolidated entity. There was never any possibility that the leagues would not continue to financially support the football club.
Administration is the range of activities connected with organising & supervising the way that an organisation functions
The facts:-
Best practices guidelines are just that GUIDELINES,
If the Leagues Club was being so well run , then why did so many long term employees & I mean 10 +years of service leave at an alarming rate from 2013-2018?
Revenue trends had been heading south. It’s no coincidence that as a result of these factors the leagues club appointed a new CEO (the best in land)at the start of this year & reverse both the loyal staff turnover as well as improving revenue.
This in anybody’s language is not Best Practice Guidelines Clubs NSW but poor administration.
If not to have majority vote,why would the good doctor amend the constitution & appoint 2 additional directors to board ?
For all the good service the good doctor has given to the club does not go unrecognised or acknowledged. The fact that he publicly endorsed the Dib ticket & publicly criticised the Anderson ticket was not only a poor political move it was plain dumb! He by his own actions had made his position untenable. That’s the leagues club.
The Football Club:-
It’s well known that Dib & Hasler did all the player negotiations & Castle was a mere paper tiger. It was this administration that brought us to our current roster/salary cap imbroglio.
When Dib/Hasler on Klemmer’s recommendation signed Woods on a reported +$750kDib had gambled on the salary cap increasing- he was wrong. This led to a cascade of events and player upheaval. The player chosen to be moved on was front rower Club Captain James Graham.
In the midst of this Eastwood was in his last year of his contract on staggering $800k.
Mbye was also on heavily backended contract rumoured to be $750k
Currently at the club still on the backended deals are
Tolman, Elliott, Jackson & Hopoate & are taking up approximately a quarter of our salary cap,(at least $2.4m) clearly arithmetic was not a forte of either Dib or Hasler.
Since the Anderson ticket have taken over, they have made some unpopular & tough decisions & moved on Woods & Mbye;rather than paying them a combined $1.3m the club is subsidising just $350k total.
Again in anybody’s language or interpretation the previous board had demonstrated poor administration.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
at an organisation functions
The facts:-
Best practices guidelines are just that GUIDELINES,
Guidelines that are going to be enforced on all registered clubs, independent directors will have to be appointed at some stage.

If the Leagues Club was being so well run , then why did so many long term employees & I mean 10 +years of service leave at an alarming rate from 2013-2018?
I have no idea, who are the staff you talking about? A rather "how long is a piece of string" question.

Revenue trends had been heading south. It’s no coincidence that as a result of these factors the leagues club appointed a new CEO (the best in land)at the start of this year & reverse both the loyal staff turnover as well as improving revenue.
This in anybody’s language is not Best Practice Guidelines Clubs NSW but poor administration.
Consolidated annual report for FYE 31/10/2018. Revenue was up 5%, EBIDTA was up 23.3%, Net profit from operating activities was up 9.5%.
The only negative movement was in the current ratio which reduced from 0.60% to 0.41% because of additional borrowing.
Overall there was no “negative trends” in the financial performance of the club in recent years and let me remind you Peponis was chairman of the Football club 2002 to 2010 and then Chairman/President of the Leagues club 2010 to 2018. Over that long period the financial performance of group has gone from strength to strength!! As is stands as at 31/10/2018 the club had a net asset position of $180 million.

If not to have majority vote,why would the good doctor amend the constitution & appoint 2 additional directors to board ?
I don't know, but you don't know either. Also as I said all registered clubs in NSW will have to appoint 2 independent directors at some time, leading by example?

For all the good service the good doctor has given to the club does not go unrecognised or acknowledged. The fact that he publicly endorsed the Dib ticket & publicly criticised the Anderson ticket was not only a poor political move it was plain dumb! He by his own actions had made his position untenable. That’s the leagues club.
So not even a backhanded compliment for the bloke, just sheer contempt? It’s interesting that you can hold strong views and opinions on who runs the football club and leagues club but you don’t want Peponis to, or I should clarify, one that you don’t agree with.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The Football Club:-
Currently at the club still on the backended deals are
Tolman, Elliott, Jackson & Hopoate & are taking up approximately a quarter of our salary cap,(at least $2.4m) clearly arithmetic was not a forte of either Dib or Hasler.
How do you know this? Also how accurate is your $2.4 million figure.
Tolam is on $496K, lets say Jackson is on $800k, Hopoate max is $450k, so you're saying Elliott is on $654K?? That can't be right.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How do you know this? Also how accurate is your $2.4 million figure.
Tolam is on $496K, lets say Jackson is on $800k, Hopoate max is $450k, so you're saying Elliott is on $654K?? That can't be right.
Isn't Hopoate's contract a bit back ended, not hugely like some, his contract average might be $450k but this year could be $650k. Jackson is also on Captain's bonus, that's another $50k or so. Toleman is also loaded, base might be $496k but with loading could be $550k. That leaves Elliot on maybe as low as $350k (the NRL average is $340k).

Go Dogs

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't Hopoate's contract a bit back ended, not hugely like some, his contract average might be $450k but this year could be $650k. Jackson is also on Captain's bonus, that's another $50k or so. Toleman is also loaded, base might be $496k but with loading could be $550k. That leaves Elliot on maybe as low as $350k (the NRL average is $340k).

Go Dogs
Only contract details I know is Tolman whos contract is $450 cash and $46 salary sacrifice not back ended. The others I don't know, but if Elliott is on $350K I feel sick!! He is as valuable as a bucket of dog vomit, if Elliott is on that much money I'll catch a flight to Sydney and burn the fucking joint down myself.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Hopoate’s contract this season in $650-$700k, last year Elliott was on $170k last season he’s on $450k, this season, Jackson this season is on $800-$850k, Tolman this season is on $500-600k.
They’re all heavily backended, get worse next season & is the reason they are the first picked week in week out

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopoate’s contract this season in $650-$700k, last year Elliott was on $170k last season he’s on $450k, this season, Jackson this season is on $800-$850k, Tolman this season is on $500-600k.
They’re all heavily backended, get worse next season & is the reason they are the first picked week in week out
I feel physically ill

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel physically ill
and the thing that really kills me, is that you still have some around here that still want to praise Dib and Hasler .. unfknbelievable

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
and the thing that really kills me, is that you still have some around here that still want to praise Dib and Hasler .. unfknbelievable
For sure, but I find it worse that people pile ALL the crap onto Pay when anyone would struggle with the sticking pile of shit he has been dealt. Many wouldn’t (and weren’t) be brave enough to even give it a go.

Go Dogs

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
For sure, but I find it worse that people pile ALL the crap onto Pay when anyone would struggle with the sticking pile of shit he has been dealt. Many wouldn’t (and weren’t) be brave enough to even give it a go.

Go Dogs
I have no doubt Pay inherited a difficult situation and grace should be given .. but there is far too much stacking up against him ..how does a team start of competitive and then slowly get worse as the season progresses to the point now they get lapped every game.. that's on the coach.. there enough talent in this team to have far better showings

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no doubt Pay inherited a difficult situation and grace should be given .. but there is far too much stacking up against him ..how does a team start of competitive and then slowly get worse as the season progresses to the point now they get lapped every game.. that's on the coach.. there enough talent in this team to have far better showings
No there is not a lot of talent in this roster- we have below average to average NRL level talent. The real problem is we have have plodders on elite/rep level contracts. At this stage, Besides Reimis Smith, Jackson, Foran, Napa, & Ogden & DWZ no other player would make the top 20 at another NRL club. That is the conundrum for Pay, he only has possibly 6 quality players, the rest he can replace with any from Canterbury Cup & nothing would change. In essence he has a very strong Canterbury Cup roster.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No there is not a lot of talent in this roster- we have below average to average NRL level talent. The real problem is we have have plodders on elite/rep level contracts. At this stage, Besides Reimis Smith, Jackson, Foran, Napa, & Ogden & DWZ no other player would make the top 20 at another NRL club. That is the conundrum for Pay, he only has possibly 6 quality players, the rest he can replace with any from Canterbury Cup & nothing would change. In essence he has a very strong Canterbury Cup roster.
That's your opinion, but I don't agree.. and proof is like I said, at the start of the year the playing group were putting in and pushing fancier opponents right to the end... Now we are facing depleted rosters (e.g roosters raiders and dragons) and getting flogged ... It's obvious the greater portion of the playing group have given up on him ...