News Maroons utility Moses Mbye goes into anaphylactic shock in hotel

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maroons star Moses Mbye has had a horrifying brush with death after a hotel-room collapse that has rocked the Queensland team ahead of Origin II tomorrow night.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Queensland team doctor Matt Hislop has saved Mbye’s life after the utility went into anaphylactic shock on Friday morning in a terrifying ordeal that has stunned the close-knit Maroons team.

Without the quick thinking of one of Australia’s leading sports medicos, Mbye has been told he would be dead.

The near-fatality represents one of the most distressing incidents in State of Origin’s 39-year history.

Anaphylaxis is a potentially life-threatening, severe allergic reaction, usually to foods or insects, that can cause death within 15 minutes.

Incredibly, Mbye has told Queensland coach Kevin Walters he will play in Origin II – just 48 hours after fearing he would die.

Queensland hierarchy have confirmed to The Sunday Mail that they have filed a Critical Incident Report with senior management at their team hotel.

Dr Matt Hislop (far left) saved Moses Mbye’s life. Picture: Adam Head
Mbye’s mysterious collapse occurred around 10.30am on Friday morning during Queensland’s day off.

Hislop found Mbye slumped on the floor unconscious outside his hotel-room door after the 25-year-old father-of-three made an emergency call to him, only to pass out within seconds.

Carrying a first-aid kit, Hislop immediately used an EpiPen, an anti-allergy injection device containing a man-made version of adrenaline to revive the stricken Mbye.

The Queensland rookie understands he had only a few minutes left to live after his airways closed over when Hislop arrived on the scene to treat him.

Hislop was staying on the same floor as Mbye and raced to his aid, giving him an injection of epinephrine to his upper leg to save his life.

Despite his near death experience, Moses Mbye trained today and is adament he will play Sunday night. Picture: Adam Head
Queensland players have been made aware of Mbye’s collapse, while the Wests Tigers skipper has relayed the news to his wife.

Mbye has told Queensland’s medical team he has no allergies and has never before suffered anaphylactic shock from any allergy-related incidents.

The Noosa Pirates junior will undergo tests after Origin II when he returns home to Sydney as Queensland doctors attempt to explain his sudden collapse.

Despite feeling weak for most of Friday, Mbye trained with his Queensland teammates at Saturday’s captain’s run and is adamant he will play his second Origin game before a sellout crowd of 60,000 at Perth’s Optus Stadium.

Speaking at his captain’s run press conference, Queensland coach Kevin Walters backed Mbye to play a key interchange role as the Maroons’ super-sub after his seven-minute debut in Origin I.

“We have a lot of confidence in what Moses can bring,” he said.

“Moses had just a little window of opportunity in Game One, we know he is a terrific player at club level, he showed that he could handle the step up in class albeit for short period of time.

“But he will be ready to go when we need him.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...l/news-story/d82e4bf001308e540b83f4ef20a7d8da

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my mrs and they had to give her 2 adrenaline injections to get her breathing again. 4 days in hospital and they never found out what it was that caused it.

Makes you wonder what is getting put in our food food and fk knows where else. I know a lot of normal healthy people this has happened to recently.

WolfmanAmadeus

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the boys in camp must've shown him all the negativite commentary towards Mbye on the Kennel. Near killed him.

Poor bloke

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye 'feeling sweet now and ready to play' after scare
Sat 22 Jun 2019, 04:02 PM
Queensland utility Moses Mbye has made a full recovery and is “ready to play” after receiving medical assistance on Friday morning while in camp with the Queensland Maroons.

“Moses developed a serious allergic reaction and he was worried enough to call me straight away,” Maroons doctor Matt Hislop said.

“By the time I was able to see him, he was beginning to show signs of the reaction with a skin rash and swelling. I started treatment immediately and he responded quickly.”

Moses Mbye during today's captain's run. Photo: NRL Images
Moses did not require any further medical assistance after being treated by the team doctor; and was able to stay with the team while being closely monitored.

“His vital signs were observed for a number of hours after the event,” Hislop said.

“He stabilised and made a complete recovery. We’ve got a well-stocked medical kit to deal with all sorts of emergencies.

“Moses is medically stable, and there is no risk with him playing or training, but he will need to have further tests done when he returns to Sydney.”

Moses said he had made a full recovery and was in good spirits after completing the team’s final field session at Optus Stadium today.

“It was something that came on unexpectedly. I have never experienced anything like that before,” Moses said.

“It was obviously a reaction to something. I started feeling a bit itchy and lightheaded – I phoned the doc and he managed it professionally. We had all our supplies here ready to go and we got on top of it early.

“I’m feeling sweet now and ready to play.”

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/06/22/mbye-feeling-sweet-now-and-ready-to-play-after-scare/

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Different story on fox sports. Not so dramatic . He called the doctor , doc turned up seem he was selling and red and jabbed him. Monitored him and all good. QLD are always sick and sorry in camp.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye 'feeling sweet now and ready to play' after scare
Sat 22 Jun 2019, 04:02 PM
Queensland utility Moses Mbye has made a full recovery and is “ready to play” after receiving medical assistance on Friday morning while in camp with the Queensland Maroons.

“Moses developed a serious allergic reaction and he was worried enough to call me straight away,” Maroons doctor Matt Hislop said.

“By the time I was able to see him, he was beginning to show signs of the reaction with a skin rash and swelling. I started treatment immediately and he responded quickly.”

Moses Mbye during today's captain's run. Photo: NRL Images
Moses did not require any further medical assistance after being treated by the team doctor; and was able to stay with the team while being closely monitored.

“His vital signs were observed for a number of hours after the event,” Hislop said.

“He stabilised and made a complete recovery. We’ve got a well-stocked medical kit to deal with all sorts of emergencies.

“Moses is medically stable, and there is no risk with him playing or training, but he will need to have further tests done when he returns to Sydney.”

Moses said he had made a full recovery and was in good spirits after completing the team’s final field session at Optus Stadium today.

“It was something that came on unexpectedly. I have never experienced anything like that before,” Moses said.

“It was obviously a reaction to something. I started feeling a bit itchy and lightheaded – I phoned the doc and he managed it professionally. We had all our supplies here ready to go and we got on top of it early.

“I’m feeling sweet now and ready to play.”

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2019/06/22/mbye-feeling-sweet-now-and-ready-to-play-after-scare/
Talk about a beat up for a headline that’s the offical statement from QLD. He wasn’t even close to dying and didn’t even collapse!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS the media tart would love this!!

Good he is ok, but when I heard the headline I knew instantly which Queensland player it was.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d say he just realised he got picked for the moroons....
In shock like everyone else

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not a fan of him at all though not remotely funny and won’t make jokes at him. Glad he’s ok, his a father and husband and human. Hope they figure the cause and he’s healthy.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He is one of us. (QLD'er)

You now have to say, OMG: he nearly died, lucky for us he is OK.
Nah he should never have been picked kas waste of a bench spot but hopefully he only gets six or seven minutes like the last game

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
"anaphylactic shock" eh

I dont believe it.

Surely a grown adult would know what they are and aren't allergic to... and have eaten those breakfast items (or what is in them) before.