Get Gould now

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Those harking back to the past and also SL...there are lots of players, officials, administrators, newspapers, millionaire press barons etc etc who did us wrong.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone involved now who hasn't up and left, coached elsewhere, shot off their mouth, worked for our rivals and opposition etc.

It happened. Why single out Gould when there is a whole host of others who've not been loyal or followed their own agenda.

Lets use whoever we can to benefit our club.
Quite simply put we're singling Gould out because that's what this thread is about. We attempted to change the perception of our club once with the camp quality free sponsorship.

He does have a high profile in the media, but he's not done more than offer unconstructive criticism with an occasional splash of saying he admired the club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Quite simply put we're singling Gould out because that's what this thread is about. We attempted to change the perception of our club once with the camp quality free sponsorship.

He does have a high profile in the media, but he's not done more than offer unconstructive criticism with an occasional splash of saying he admired the club.
I understand your reasoning. However singling Gould out for his agendas is a waste as far as I can see. Plenty of others have done us wrong and even now work for the club. It's all relevant.

I just see more positives than negatives with him working for us and want to see the club successful and popular again. It seems like its a long way off without outside help.

Gus seems the best available.

He probably isn't interested. We're all just offering up our tboughts and ideas. That's a good thing.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did Gould accomplish at Penrith? He said they would win a premiership inside 5 years about 8 years ago. He sacked 4 coaches with no regard to the $ cost to do so. He had a team on the verge of finals last season and got rid of the coach. Needless to say they went out the back door. Also ask Souths about his stint during the superleague days. The bloke is a hot air balloon. He is also a massive politician who rthrives on absolute power. It would be a terrible decision to hire him. Terrible.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand your reasoning. However singling Gould out for his agendas is a waste as far as I can see. Plenty of others have done us wrong and even now work for the club. It's all relevant.

I just see more positives than negatives with him working for us and want to see the club successful and popular again. It seems like its a long way off without outside help.

Gus seems the best available.

He probably isn't interested. We're all just offering up our tboughts and ideas. That's a good thing.
In all honesty there are other high profile people I'd rather see spruiking the club or speaking out against the referees on our behalf. Among them are Steve and Mark Waugh (former cricket stars and avid doggies fans). They'd be seen as being more impartial if they said they saw refereeing bias.

I can see your point about Gould, but I think he's not a well liked person among league supporters. His bread and butter comes predominantly from the media who see any negative press about us as paydirt. So getting him on board would be a costly thing. We'd have to pay through the nose for him to do very little.

In all honesty I think getting the roster right is a bigger priority. Alongside of that getting the best coaching staff at every level is probably just as critical.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Gould.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he might come if we have Crichton CHN and Now DWZ which he suggested he might be coming here and I expect Flanagan or Griffin will be the coach
Or what about Cameron ciraldo as coach ?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What did Gould accomplish at Penrith? He said they would win a premiership inside 5 years about 8 years ago. He sacked 4 coaches with no regard to the $ cost to do so. He had a team on the verge of finals last season and got rid of the coach. Needless to say they went out the back door. Also ask Souths about his stint during the superleague days. The bloke is a hot air balloon. He is also a massive politician who rthrives on absolute power. It would be a terrible decision to hire him. Terrible.
Agree mate. We don't need Gould's battles for power disrupting our club.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Gould gets a bit too much credit for the improvement of the Panthers junior development. All he really did there was recruit some of the better staff going around. A couple of those staff signed were from our club after Greenberg decided that junior development was an unnecessary expense. The Panthers had and will continue to have a huge nursery in an area where league is highly popular. His job in getting their junior development on track wasn't a tough one. Our current board have seemingly made moves to enlarge our nursery areas and I daresay they're looking at getting better staff in key positions to improve our junior development too. So no need to recruit Gould on that basis.

I don't know what he did for their financial management. But it's not an issue for our club, so recruiting him on that basis is not necessary. I'd think the bulk of his current wages are derived from media outlets. If it suited him to get in our corner on that basis he could have already done so. Just because he's said he admired our club on rare occasions doesn't mean he has a soft spot for us. He's said he admired many clubs during his time in commentary.

From my perspective he's a shameless self promoter. He is probably aiming to get a shot at running the NRL when Greenberg gets punted. I don't want him near the club.
When he took over, the joint didn’t even have toilet paper and on the verge of insolvency. They place is now thriving, debt free with its own state of the art training and development centre. Hardly a self promoter.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those harking back to the past and also SL...there are lots of players, officials, administrators, newspapers, millionaire press barons etc etc who did us wrong.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone involved now who hasn't up and left, coached elsewhere, shot off their mouth, worked for our rivals and opposition etc.

It happened. Why single out Gould when there is a whole host of others who've not been loyal or followed their own agenda.

Lets use whoever we can to benefit our club.
Gould was the mouth piece for most of those you mentioned, echoing their hate against us. Also many aspiring RL commentators have tried to imitate him and become the next Gould. He used the media tool to perfection that's why I mentioned the word psychology.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould stepped in, to a top 8 contender, and wisely saw that their team full of young talent, and a key veteran or two was never going to make it and a full rebuild was in need. A 5 year plan if you will.

5 years later, he had the second 5 years planned, and I'm sure if anyone had the patience for his rubbish he'd have outlined years 10 through 15 of the rebuild that would see them continue to achieve almost as much as they did before the game of Gould Fantasy NRL Manager started.

If the Bulldogs chase Gould to play with this club, the upside would be we would have finally hit rock bottom, so I guess that would be progress at least.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s be Honest Phil Gould should simply be sitting back and laughing at the Panthers
Why ? Cause he fucked there salary cap why he was there ?
Your off your head. If gus sends a few players this way then great.
But thats it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Well.... It is an improvement. Kinda.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
We are dead last. Impossible to do worse.
What he did with Penrith was remarkable. Imagine if Football is the only thing for him to concern himself with cause we all know our financials are A-OK.

Literally, nothing to lose.
He'd be an excellent coup, but are Anderson and co. willing to hand over all or most of the reigns to him?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well.... It is an improvement. Kinda.

Your right man Gould is EVEN better than what people are giving him credit for. Thanks for highlighting this dude.
He was firmly against the appointment of Ivan Cleary and had Wayne Bennett in the bag. Was so against Cleary it lead to his split with the club. Furthermore, reinforcing his foresight. Now look where Souths are and now Penrith are against his firm warnings!
Honestly I knew he was good, but not that good! Fucking dopes on here- Turned Penrith from an absolute shit fight to genuine finals contenders when he was at the helm. Even if Gould got us into the position of semi's every year it would be light years ahead of the pathetic heap we are in. Dead last, terrible for and against and not even a chance of beating most clubs reserve grade squads. BRING GOULD NOW, nothing to lose.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
In all honesty there are other high profile people I'd rather see spruiking the club or speaking out against the referees on our behalf. Among them are Steve and Mark Waugh (former cricket stars and avid doggies fans). They'd be seen as being more impartial if they said they saw refereeing bias.

Mark Waugh is an avid supporter... Steve Waugh has stated numerous times his not a big supporter of RL but 'follows' Wests or Wests Tigers these days.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When he took over, the joint didn’t even have toilet paper and on the verge of insolvency. They place is now thriving, debt free with its own state of the art training and development centre. Hardly a self promoter.
The place is hardly thriving, they're only debt free because they sold off millions in valuable assets, they were forced to do a deal with the devil and sold their entire gaming floor to Tabcorp and are in a situation where they don't own any of the assets on their gaming floor and it's questionable if they can actually afford to buy back those assets. Our leagues club generates over 70% of revenue from gaming, imagine having no control of that, having to pay rent and commission on that as well.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mark Waugh is an avid supporter... Steve Waugh has stated numerous times his not a big supporter of RL but 'follows' Wests or Wests Tigers these days.
Steve Waugh is regularly seen at Cronulla home games. Also a massive arrogant tosser.