Dave Taylor retires from Rugby League

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Seeing as I can't find an active thread on him...

upload_2019-6-21_7-44-45.png

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Also had an illustrious career at the Toronto Wolfpack, where he played a total of zero games.

He's from Central QLD, so I guess he's back where he started.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All the talent and size in the world wasted to be honest. He'll look back on his career in big regret.

He should've stuck with Bennett all those years back, and things could've been different.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ah...he did ok, 200 plus games in the NRL is nothing to sneeze at
He could've been in the elite though. Had he have played with Taumalolo-like consistency and stayed out of the drama, he could've been anything.

He'll now be forgotten.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He could've been in the elite though. Had he have played with Taumalolo-like consistency and stayed out of the drama, he could've been anything.

He'll now be forgotten.
Maybe, I think he always carried too much weight. Good impact player and I did see him play some very good games.

Last edited:

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see merit in both your opinions.
Dave did have a career that many would dream to have - 207 NRL games, State of Origin representative and played for Australia (once or twice, sure).
That said, he probably didnt live up to his full potential for a consistent tenure - At his best, he was a wrecking ball and a fantastic player.

As many have said, he carried a bit too much weight and at times his effort has been questioned but a bit like Tony Williams, had the potential to be a long term destructive player.
I hope for him that he can look back and be proud rather than have regret as I could be wrong but I dont think he was a dickhead or a bad dude.
Congratulations on a great career Dave.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was a great player on his day, that much is true..!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He should of tried NFL as a blocker.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
200 games? Thought it was more like 20.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He never lived up to the potential he showed early on. He started out looking like he'd be dominant for a long time then seemingly lost the desire to stay among the elite level players. Much like Kasiano and Williams. 200 plus NRL games is still a big deal. But he's not the sort of player that will be talked about in awed tones in the future. If he didn't have size on his side I daresay his career wouldn't have been a memorable one in the NRL.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

He'll now be forgotten.
Tbh I had already forgotten him until I saw he retired. I thought he retired a while ago.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bloke was a giant, there’s some big blokes playing nrl
But he was big, big hands, big legs, big arms
Giant, with some serious skills and speed
Could of been anything under the right coach and right attitude

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
All the natural gifts of size and skill but had no desire to push himself to be consistent at the top level,bloke could have been anything he just didn’t want it enough

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I remember he played a game at halfback, can’t remember what club but he absolutely killed it.

I doubt we will see another player like him in our lifetime. Halfback in a giants body with zero motivation.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember he played a game at halfback, can’t remember what club but he absolutely killed it.

I doubt we will see another player like him in our lifetime. Halfback in a giants body with zero motivation.
We had two in the same generation.
T-rex played in the halves for us too! haha.
For a big man, he had OK ball skills too, but also lacked motivation.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taylor certainly had talent and skills for a big man. Shame his last few years didnt allow him to go out of the game on a higher note.