Get Gould now

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I still find it amazing that Gould was only 30 when he coached us to a premiership in 1988. Would be great to see him back in any capacity in my opinion.
If Gould didn't have Warren Ryans influence then the dogs wouldn't of won 1988.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gould gets a bit too much credit for the improvement of the Panthers junior development. All he really did there was recruit some of the better staff going around. A couple of those staff signed were from our club after Greenberg decided that junior development was an unnecessary expense. The Panthers had and will continue to have a huge nursery in an area where league is highly popular. His job in getting their junior development on track wasn't a tough one. Our current board have seemingly made moves to enlarge our nursery areas and I daresay they're looking at getting better staff in key positions to improve our junior development too. So no need to recruit Gould on that basis.

I don't know what he did for their financial management. But it's not an issue for our club, so recruiting him on that basis is not necessary. I'd think the bulk of his current wages are derived from media outlets. If it suited him to get in our corner on that basis he could have already done so. Just because he's said he admired our club on rare occasions doesn't mean he has a soft spot for us. He's said he admired many clubs during his time in commentary.

From my perspective he's a shameless self promoter. He is probably aiming to get a shot at running the NRL when Greenberg gets punted. I don't want him near the club.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gould's role would be ... head of football?

Look, without doubt we're playing like absolute dogshit. Disgustingly bad. We all know that.

However, instead of shaking the whole club up by bringing in someone who would impact on our board in a negative way imo why don't we just get in a half fucking decent coach?

I think too many people are overcomplicating our situation. We're getting / have got money to spend on new players, so we'll attract some decent ones. But ONLY if our coach is decent. Stop dancing around the issue here by suggesting to trim the bushes, or plant a few tree. The weeds will still be there if you don't rip them out! Get rid of Pay and then let's see where we go.

Bringing in Gould will only bring more problems. Sorry. And to those who say we can't be any worse. Of course we can. Off the field we're not "absolute dogshit. Disgustingly bad." .... yet!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t see the Anderson’s letting gould in too much ego there

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The vast majority of improvements that Gould oversaw at Penrith we have already done, for example we are very financially stable, have established a solid junior feeder program, exorcised the dead wood in the management and built a world standard centre of excellence for training and recovery.

Gould’s process improvement don’t yield instant results on the field, they are a 5 to 10 year building of the support network that underpins the team that takes the field. If we are looking for someone to fix things this year, next year or the year after, that’s not what he does.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Let’s be Honest Phil Gould should simply be sitting back and laughing at the Panthers

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he might come if we have Crichton CHN and Now DWZ which he suggested he might be coming here and I expect Flanagan or Griffin will be the coach

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The benefits not mentioned by having Gould squarely in our corner is enhanced HQ influence, media recognition and 3rd party endorsements.

This club, along with success on the field, needs a turnaround in perception and likeability.

Our standing has taken a massive hit and we need to turn our fortunes around in ALL areas.

Like him or not, Gus Gould is the most influential person in the NRL bar none.

Chances are the positive publicity and the vibe of having him in our corner would herald a return to our Entertainers glory days, if we can get this good team together and there is no better recruiter also.

We need the club to get out of the negative DT etc news hysteria and it would see an increase in crowds and introduce new fans and kids following the Bulldogs.

I see nothing but positive outcomes IF everyone involved in the club supported him.

Just my opinion but the club needs a big positive shakeup and there is no big personality like Politis, Crowe, Bellamy to get us back up there. Gould would do that for us.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould gets a bit too much credit for the improvement of the Panthers junior development. All he really did there was recruit some of the better staff going around. A couple of those staff signed were from our club after Greenberg decided that junior development was an unnecessary expense. The Panthers had and will continue to have a huge nursery in an area where league is highly popular. His job in getting their junior development on track wasn't a tough one. Our current board have seemingly made moves to enlarge our nursery areas and I daresay they're looking at getting better staff in key positions to improve our junior development too. So no need to recruit Gould on that basis.

I don't know what he did for their financial management. But it's not an issue for our club, so recruiting him on that basis is not necessary. I'd think the bulk of his current wages are derived from media outlets. If it suited him to get in our corner on that basis he could have already done so. Just because he's said he admired our club on rare occasions doesn't mean he has a soft spot for us. He's said he admired many clubs during his time in commentary.

From my perspective he's a shameless self promoter. He is probably aiming to get a shot at running the NRL when Greenberg gets punted. I don't want him near the club.
He is certainly GOOD at promoting himself, and uses psychology better than anyone I currently know. Like you I don't want him anywhere near the club, he did our club a lot of harm post the SL war. He has kept his hate going long after not sure if he has let go or will ever let go.
Having a good memory is a great asset, ( if you don't remembered anything you haven't learned anything), far to many in society have short memory.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Those harking back to the past and also SL...there are lots of players, officials, administrators, newspapers, millionaire press barons etc etc who did us wrong.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone involved now who hasn't up and left, coached elsewhere, shot off their mouth, worked for our rivals and opposition etc.

It happened. Why single out Gould when there is a whole host of others who've not been loyal or followed their own agenda.

Lets use whoever we can to benefit our club.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gould is a know it all with alot of connections eg got packer to invest out at penrith

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Third party Manager nothing more.

My fear is that Pay stays with Gould as head of coaching role.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould had years at penrith.
What did they do? Well one season they sacked the head coach 2 weeks out from semis, when they were 4th.
No thanks gus is done. The penrith club was full of individuals. No one on the same page.
Yep but thats what we need at our club. Fucking crazy fans.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Has Phil Gould approached the club to offer his services? If not totally academic.