The good news thread (aka "restores my faith in humanity" thread)

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have a lot of negative (but mostly not too serious) threads like Grind my Gears etc, and I figured the world needs more love.

So, I want to kick off a thread where people can post articles or news that is good. I can be a personal experience, or a news article.

My inspiration came from this story in Traveller... i hate saying "as a parent", but I do admit it has changed my focus on what's important...

Anyway, lets see how it goes... (I know its a first world problem but still)...

United Airlines pilot pays for stranded student's flight to Portland
David Oliver

A United Airlines pilot stepped up to help a stranded university student by paying for her flight back to school after her plane was diverted.

The heartwarming story was told in a video posted to United's YouTube page Friday, just in time for Father's Day in the US. The video notes the stranded traveller, identified only as Kiana, is from Hawaii, and her own father was about 5000 kilometres away.

Kiana Coffin, 19, was travelling back to school at Pacific University in Oregon when bad weather caused her flight (on another airline) to divert to Seattle.

"The airline had basically stuck her in a hotel room overnight and had forgotten about her," Kiana's father, Dave Coffin, said in a video. "At one point, I was about to go book a flight and go get her myself and by the grace of God, (the pilot, Robert Fonte) came into our lives and helped us out."

Fonte, a Houston-based first pilot, first saw Kiana with a TSA agent and thought she might be in trouble. She broke down in tears after he asked if she was doing OK. When he learned about her predicament, he thought about his own daughter who's around the same age. He then went to the ticket counter to see what could be done.

United doesn't fly from Seattle to Portland, but that didn't phase Robert: "I told the lobby agent you know what? Just put it on my card," he said in the video. "We're gonna get Kiana where she needed to be."

"From dad to dad, there are no words that could express my gratitude towards Robert for what he has done," Dave said. The two dads are now texting buddies and think of each other as friends.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But in all seriousness, I recently heard about a guy who was constantly mistreated but he always focused on helping humanity. The world tried to break him but he refused to break. When he was young people would beat him up just 'cause he wanted to play sports with the other kids in his neighborhood. His own mother blamed him for his problems and she sent him to the other side of the country. His own mother abandoned him in his time of need. She sent him to live with his uncle, aunt and cousin. And they didn't treat him much better. They were rich snobs. They laughed at him when he tried to make friends at school. His cousin would do weird dances just took mock him. He was constantly treated like an outcast but he persevered. He fought through the hate and oppression. But it was still dark times ahead. He was constantly treated as the guy who's father ran out on him. Who's mother abandoned him. The guy with no money. It wasn't until he met his friend Jeff that things started to turn around. Jeff was a like minded soul. He helped this young man rise up and gain confidence in himself. Together they made music. Together they forced all of Bel Air to see young Will as the Prince he was.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
None of these good people posts are in Australia.
If the Royal bushfire or SES ring up always buy into their raffles.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
OR... she stole them from him, he's taking them back off her, and hence she is crying because the police are on the way to arrest her. Look at the direction they are facing, he hasn't taken them off :grinning:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
OR... she stole them from him, he's taking them back off her, and hence she is crying because the police are on the way to arrest her. Look at the direction they are facing, he hasn't taken them off :grinning:
Or he turned them around and he's placing them there for her to wear :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Or he turned them around and he's placing them there for her to wear :grinning:
Or he's more concerned with the bike that appears to be coming out of his arse!

Worth noting that gang beggars normally don't wear shoes as if gives them away. Same with the beggar kids over in the favelas over there.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Or he's more concerned with the bike that appears to be coming out of his arse!

Worth noting that gang beggars normally don't wear shoes as if gives them away. Same with the beggar kids over in the favelas over there.
You just reminded me... I saw a 'Buddhist Monk' in Martin Place a few years ago when I was in my of my previous jobs. He has closed, comfortable walking shoes on along with the rob. He was selling some shit, I'm not sure what. Anyway I knew immediately as he accepted money from one an unsuspecting lady he was a con artist.

Buddhist Monks accept donations, but they NEVER ASK for donations.

Buddhist Monks NEVER wear closed shoes, only sandles and the sort.

They were back here more recently last year.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...a/news-story/331f8a906d7dd58ccc4f379449674be7

Wahesh

Reaction score
Here we go:

Six ways to tell whether a monk is real or fake

1. In general, monks from real temples do not solicit money on the streets (though a Mahayana monk may solicit donations to cover the costs of his travel).

2. Anyone holding a monk’s bowl to solicit money on the streets is fake, as the bowl is only for food in Buddhism.

3. Anyone who hustles on the street selling amulets and other fortunetelling products such as paper medallions or bead bracelets is fake.

4. Buddhist rules forbid monks from engaging in geomancy, face or palm reading, or any activities related to feng shui.

5. Real monks do not act aggressively, and would happily offer blessings without asking for anything in return.

6. Genuine monks will be willing to answer questions about which temple they belong to and Buddhism in general (such as about the Five Precepts), and recite Buddhist incantations.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Here we go:

1. In general, monks from real temples do not solicit money on the streets (though a Mahayana monk may solicit donations to cover the costs of his travel).

2. Anyone holding a monk’s bowl to solicit money on the streets is fake, as the bowl is only for food in Buddhism.

3. Anyone who hustles on the street selling amulets and other fortunetelling products such as paper medallions or bead bracelets is fake.

4. Buddhist rules forbid monks from engaging in geomancy, face or palm reading, or any activities related to feng shui.

5. Real monks do not act aggressively, and would happily offer blessings without asking for anything in return.

6. Genuine monks will be willing to answer questions about which temple they belong to and Buddhism in general (such as about the Five Precepts), and recite Buddhist incantations.
Just to add..

7. Real monks are air benders.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Here we go:

The dead give away
8. Ask if they have change for a $50.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You just reminded me... I saw a 'Buddhist Monk' in Martin Place a few years ago when I was in my of my previous jobs. He has closed, comfortable walking shoes on along with the rob. He was selling some shit, I'm not sure what. Anyway I knew immediately as he accepted money from one an unsuspecting lady he was a con artist.

Buddhist Monks accept donations, but they NEVER ASK for donations.

Buddhist Monks NEVER wear closed shoes, only sandles and the sort.

They were back here more recently last year.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...a/news-story/331f8a906d7dd58ccc4f379449674be7
They are a problem in Thailand, a place in which impersonating a monk carries a gaol term and probably a severe beating.

They hang around touristy areas. But the business owners will also chase them away.

Now, back to the good news stuff....

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's more one for the feels (and a father's love).

Derek Redmond at Barcelona 1992:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But in all seriousness, I recently heard about a guy who was constantly mistreated but he always focused on helping humanity. The world tried to break him but he refused to break. When he was young people would beat him up just 'cause he wanted to play sports with the other kids in his neighborhood. His own mother blamed him for his problems and she sent him to the other side of the country. His own mother abandoned him in his time of need. She sent him to live with his uncle, aunt and cousin. And they didn't treat him much better. They were rich snobs. They laughed at him when he tried to make friends at school. His cousin would do weird dances just took mock him. He was constantly treated like an outcast but he persevered. He fought through the hate and oppression. But it was still dark times ahead. He was constantly treated as the guy who's father ran out on him. Who's mother abandoned him. The guy with no money. It wasn't until he met his friend Jeff that things started to turn around. Jeff was a like minded soul. He helped this young man rise up and gain confidence in himself. Together they made music. Together they forced all of Bel Air to see young Will as the Prince he was.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Donald trump is a great thing for mankind. Otherwise the only thing the free world will care about is who is offended the most and who gets the death penalty for not using specific pronouns for the mentally ill.
I mean AOC shows how lucky we are to not have her in office she’s just compared to ice holding zones to concentration camps, alas the head of the holocaust memorial museum came out condemning AOCs use of comparison whence not knowing the actual history or what contentration camps are.
In her live stream she clapped her hands in the air not finding words to find if people weren’t bothered by concentration camps on the boarder lol. I mean how is this female in a seat of power and still there?
Anyways apparently climate change according to leading iq lefties is the new Nazis lolllllll. This shit cannot be happening.