News Secret hand injury has Maroons firebrand Dylan Napa in doubt for State of Origin II

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Queensland firebrand Dylan Napa is battling a secret hand injury which threatens to rule him out of Origin II.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Maroons enforcer is in doubt to take his place in Sunday’s game after aggravating his hand during Canterbury’s loss to the Roosters last Sunday. Napa has played on with the injury in recent weeks but re-injured his hand in the opening exchanges of his match against his old club last Sunday at the SCG.

Scans revealed Napa has a small break in one of his wrist bones.

The Maroons plan to give him every chance to prove his fitness.

Napa grimaced immediately when he was tackled by Roosters trio Cooper Cronk, Nat Butcher and Angus Crichton after just six minutes. He favoured his right hand when he was tackled by Crichton again and Roosters lock Isaac Liu 10 minutes later. The 26-year-old continued to be hampered by the injury but finished the game with 23 tackles and 10 runs from a 49-minute stint.

Napa suffered a hand injury against the Bulldogs. Credit: Fox Sports
While Napa has managed to play on with the injury in recent weeks there were fresh concerns about the seriousness of the latest setback.

Napa was in Perth Tuesday with the rest of the Maroons squad. The Queensland forward pack has already been ravaged by injury with Jai Arrow and Joe Ofahengaue sidelined through injury. Napa has been prompted to the starting side having started Origin I off the interchange bench.

The Maroons have uncapped Melbourne prop Christian Welch as part of their extended squad.

Maroons coach Kevin Walters gave little away about Napa’s injury concerns when he fronted the media this week where he heaped praise on his prop.

Can Napa take the field in Perth? Picture by Phil Hillyard.
“I just feel the time is right for Dylan Napa to make his mark at this level,” Walters said. “It’s really disappointing to lose Jai because his workrate and attitude typifies everything about this Queensland team, but by starting Dylan, I’m giving him this opportunity to show us what he’s got.

“I’ll back Dylan. He has played some good games for Queensland.

“He’s got nothing to prove except to his teammates and the state of Queensland that he is an Origin player.”

The Maroons made two changes to their Origin I winning side with Tim Glasby and Jarrod Wallace brought onto their bench.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...i/news-story/f2df096ea8445db2b17c88d77311e32e

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will play lol, gotta get that coin :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He should be ruled out of the game, would have a couple of weeks to rest it.
It's obviously not an injury that requires surgical intervention at the moment, but a couple of weeks rest and restricted movement would have been a good idea.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't stand this origin bullshit! It should be played end of the year.
We don't have a chance of doing jack shit this year but that's beside the point.
Happened to us few years ago with Jmoz too

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Broken wrist according to channel 9.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He said he is playing.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Hmm might explain his less than stellar form since returning from the ankle injury.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/18/napa-in-doubt-for-origin-ii-with-broken-wrist/

Bulldogs should be requesting he is pulled from the side. If he does more damage WE are the ones that cop it, not international nor rep sides.
Hopefully will allow us to get cap compensation for a mid season signing if he requires time on the sidelines after SOO2.
NRL will probably block it though and say he sustained the injury against the Jewsters

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh well his season will end next week. Someone forgot to remind him that his club pays his salary