Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
GET
GRIFFIN
IN
NOW

He's acting as a coaching consultant for the Warratahs part time at the moment.

Give the bloke the gig and bring in Holbrook to replace all the other bellends except Georgallis.

Griffin = Head Coach (already has form with Panthers players).
Holbrook = Asst Coach
Georgallis = Skills, Attack, Defence and Asst Coach.

Problem solved.

Do it, and lets start winning games.
Why the hard on for Griffin? He is a really average coach and never looked like winning a comp at 2 clubs with unlimited resources and junior talent. He’s hardly innovative and his people skills are horrendous. The fact he didn’t even get a mention last year during all the coach movement says it all.

Holbrook isn’t coming back to be a assistant coach again.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think Dogtime was being sarcastic.
If I'd known it was Glendoggies I probably should have let that go thru to the keeper ....any chance to have a vent I'll take it lol.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greenberg in March 2019 "We've considered Shane's response and determined the decision to cancel his registration stands. If he applies to be registered with the NRL sometime in the future, it will be considered. But no one should expect to see Mr Flanagan back in an official capacity in the game for some time."

Absolutely zero chance that you'll see Flanagan in the NRL again for easily a few years.

Besides Flanagan isn't even a decent coach when you take away the cap breaches and drug cheating eras. No better than Henry or Brennan.
Bellamy isn’t a good coach cause of cap cheats?? Haha please

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellamy proved his coaching credentials in the wake of the Storm salary cap scandal in 2010... every pundit proclaimed it the end of the Storm, at least in Melbourne... they could not even do what we did in 2002 and re-negotiate lesser salaries for their players

but what has happened since? they have played every finals campaign since playing for points again and won 2 premierships... bravo

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellamy proved his coaching credentials in the wake of the Storm salary cap scandal in 2010... every pundit proclaimed it the end of the Storm, at least in Melbourne... they could not even do what we did in 2002 and re-negotiate lesser salaries for their players

but what has happened since? they have played every finals campaign since playing for points again and won 2 premierships... bravo
And Flanagan got banned, came back rebuilt the sharks and won a premiership and never missed out on the 8 after that... if you think other clubs aren’t cheating the cap then you all got rocks in your head

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Flanagan got banned, came back rebuilt the sharks and won a premiership and never missed out on the 8 after that... if you think other clubs aren’t cheating the cap then you all got rocks in your head
in truth, I am very suspicious of the Sharks GF win in 2016... I find it hard to believe that the league found that there had been breaches dating back to 2013 but so easily cleared the 2016 Sharks team... smelled a little bit too much like the NRL not wanting to take Cronulla's maiden premiership win away from them

I stand by my earlier comment though... Bellamy as a coach is elite

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
in truth, I am very suspicious of the Sharks GF win in 2016... I find it hard to believe that the league found that there had been breaches dating back to 2013 but so easily cleared the 2016 Sharks team... smelled a little bit too much like the NRL not wanting to take Cronulla's maiden premiership win away from them

I stand by my earlier comment though... Bellamy as a coach is elite
You’re not suspicious that nrl didn’t know about melbournes cap cheating cause they wanted league to grow in Melbourne

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’re not suspicious that nrl didn’t know about melbournes cap cheating cause they wanted league to grow in Melbourne
the Raiders breached the cap in 1990 and were allowed to keep their premiership win... we breached the cap in 2002 and although we lost our points, were allowed to keep the players we wanted to keep... the Storm had 2 GF wins erased as a well as a couple minor premierships, were forced to sell players, played 2010 for no points, and did not relent to pressure from the media in particular to have them back playing for points (eg. Gus Gould said that the solution to the Storm in 2010 was easy - just have them sit $700,000 worth of talent in the stands and have them play for points again --> problem was that no forensic accounting investigation had been concluded and the Storm in fact kept being found to be more and more over the cap)

the NRL could have shut up about the Storm until long after the cheating had taken place... but they didn't... in fact, they punished them harder than previous examples if systematic cheating

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Raiders breached the cap in 1990 and were allowed to keep their premiership win... we breached the cap in 2002 and although we lost our points, were allowed to keep the players we wanted to keep... the Storm had 2 GF wins erased as a well as a couple minor premierships, were forced to sell players, played 2010 for no points, and did not relent to pressure from the media in particular to have them back playing for points (eg. Gus Gould said that the solution to the Storm in 2010 was easy - just have them sit $700,000 worth of talent in the stands and have them play for points again --> problem was that no forensic accounting investigation had been concluded and the Storm in fact kept being found to be more and more over the cap)

the NRL could have shut up about the Storm until long after the cheating had taken place... but they didn't... in fact, they punished them harder than previous examples if systematic cheating
Mate you’re wrong completely wrong... Storm had a whistle blower, nrl hand was forced

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate you’re wrong completely wrong... Storm had a whistle blower, nrl hand was forced
there was a whistle blower with us, too, in 2002... in fact, I have a good idea who it was

the NRL was still the body handling the investigation and could have managed it more in favour of the Storm penalty-wise if they wanted to

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why the hard on for Griffin? He is a really average coach and never looked like winning a comp at 2 clubs with unlimited resources and junior talent. He’s hardly innovative and his people skills are horrendous. The fact he didn’t even get a mention last year during all the coach movement says it all.

Holbrook isn’t coming back to be a assistant coach again.
Who else is available.

From a quick look:
Jamie Shepherd - Ex Cronulla 2014 - 2W 8L
Andrew Webster - Ex Tigers 2017 - 0W 2L
Craig Hodges - Ex Titans 2017 - 0W 2L
Brian Smith - 65 years old and last coached in 2017.
Jason Taylor - Last coached in 2017. Lost 2 dressing rooms.
Geoff Toovey - Last coached in 2015.
Trent Barrett - 29W 45L 39.2% WP.
Matthew Elliott - Last coached in 2014. 121W 148L 44.5%WP
David Kidwell - Last coached in 2017. 5W 8L
John Lang - 68 years old and last coached 2011.
Andrew McFadden - Last coached in 2016. 29W 38L 43.3% WP
Peter Sharp - Last coached in 2014. 50W 81L 37.6% WP
Justin Holbrook - chasing a contract extension and happy in UK at St Helens.
Neil Henry - hasn't coached since 2017. 109W 144L 42.9% WP
John Cartwright - hasn't coached since 2014. 88W 108L 44.9% WP

Anthony Griffin - Last coached in 2018. 100W 81L 54.9% WP
Shane Flanagan - Last coached in 2018. 108W 88L 54.5% WP

Dean Pay - 11W 27L 28.9% WP

Griffins Career
2011 - Broncos finish 3rd, knocked out in prelim finals.
2012 - Broncos finish 8th, knocked out in quali finals.
2013 - Broncos finish 12th.
2014 - Broncos finish 8th, knocked out in quali finals.
2015 - Sat out this season, shafted for Bennett.
2016 - Panthers finish 6th, knocked out in semi finals.
2017 - Panthers finish 7th, knocked out in semi finals.
2018 - Panthers finish 5th, knocked out in semi finals.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who else is available.

From a quick look:
Jamie Shepherd - Ex Cronulla 2014 - 2W 8L
Andrew Webster - Ex Tigers 2017 - 0W 2L
Craig Hodges - Ex Titans 2017 - 0W 2L
Brian Smith - 65 years old and last coached in 2017.
Jason Taylor - Last coached in 2017. Lost 2 dressing rooms.
Geoff Toovey - Last coached in 2015.
Trent Barrett - 29W 45L 39.2% WP.
Matthew Elliott - Last coached in 2014. 121W 148L 44.5%WP
David Kidwell - Last coached in 2017. 5W 8L
John Lang - 68 years old and last coached 2011.
Andrew McFadden - Last coached in 2016. 29W 38L 43.3% WP
Peter Sharp - Last coached in 2014. 50W 81L 37.6% WP
Justin Holbrook - chasing a contract extension and happy in UK at St Helens.
Neil Henry - hasn't coached since 2017. 109W 144L 42.9% WP
John Cartwright - hasn't coached since 2014. 88W 108L 44.9% WP

Anthony Griffin - Last coached in 2018. 100W 81L 54.9% WP
Shane Flanagan - Last coached in 2018. 108W 88L 54.5% WP

Dean Pay - 11W 27L 28.9% WP

Griffins Career
2011 - Broncos finish 3rd, knocked out in prelim finals.
2012 - Broncos finish 8th, knocked out in quali finals.
2013 - Broncos finish 12th.
2014 - Broncos finish 8th, knocked out in quali finals.
2015 - Sat out this season, shafted for Bennett.
2016 - Panthers finish 6th, knocked out in semi finals.
2017 - Panthers finish 7th, knocked out in semi finals.
2018 - Panthers finish 5th, knocked out in semi finals.
Griffin is the second coming of Brian Smith but at least Smith made grand finals. Flanagan is a mile ahead of any other candidate then I’d go for Holbrook or O’Brien. Griffin would prolong the pain not fix it.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was a whistle blower with us, too, in 2002... in fact, I have a good idea who it was

the NRL was still the body handling the investigation and could have managed it more in favour of the Storm penalty-wise if they wanted to
Media pressure mate

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Griffin is the second coming of Brian Smith but at least Smith made grand finals. Flanagan is a mile ahead of any other candidate then I’d go for Holbrook or O’Brien. Griffin would prolong the pain not fix it.
Fair call.

But Flanagan is unlikely to see the NRL for I reckon at least another 5 years. Bringing him back makes the NRL look completely soft, and Greenberg / Beattie won't allow that. Would be like letting Jack De Belin and Hayne back.

Holbrook has already stated he is started talks with St Helens for 2020 and is happy over in the UK.

Adam O'Brien is unlikely to leave Roosters, having just landed their this year and been looked after with a nice house in Clovelly.

There aren't as many good options out there as it seems.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair call.

But Flanagan is unlikely to see the NRL for I reckon at least another 5 years. Bringing him back makes the NRL look completely soft, and Greenberg / Beattie won't allow that. Would be like letting Jack De Belin and Hayne back.

Holbrook has already stated he is started talks with St Helens for 2020 and is happy over in the UK.

Adam O'Brien is unlikely to leave Roosters, having just landed their this year and been looked after with a nice house in Clovelly.

There aren't as many good options out there as it seems.
Flanagan will be registered after 1 year out 2 years max. There’s no way it will be 5 years.

I’m sure a offer to Holbrook would change his mind he has a young family and Liverpool is a shit hole.

As for O’Brien he wouldn’t want to be a assistant for ever he’s already done his apprenticeship at the Storm.

If we wanted any of them we could make it happen. It just depends if we want them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Flanagan will be registered after 1 year out 2 years max. There’s no way it will be 5 years.

I’m sure a offer to Holbrook would change his mind he has a young family and Liverpool is a shit hole.

As for O’Brien he wouldn’t want to be a assistant for ever he’s already done his apprenticeship at the Storm.

If we wanted any of them we could make it happen. It just depends if we want them.
Depends if any of them know the board :D

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Pay is still around in a couple if weeks I reckon he sees out the season. If that happens I hope the board do the right thing and we have a complete clean out for 2020 coaching staff wise.