Opinion What a coach ... i love Dean Pay

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why are people bagging Meaney ? The guy has been one of our more consistent performers. Hasn’t been outstanding , but has been reliable and solid. I would rather us be pointing the finger at our guys who are on the big coin that are not performing. Jackson and Tolman are not worth what we are paying them anymore. Great servants but ,lacking impact and sucking up a lot of cap space.
Moving him yesterday onto the wing did nothing for his confidence. He is one of our better players if only we had a better team. Dean Pay has got to go sooner rather than later, and I was hoping that he would have some success as a coach, he has nothing. I have followed the Bulldogs (Berries) for 60 years and this is the worst a team has gone in that time, they are awful.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest I don’t rate him. He needs put on a lot of muscle and that will probably slow him down a bit...yes he does have safe hands but his game needs to improve by at least 50% or he is just another Joe average

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theres one thing you can't teach a player to do... and that's to put his body on the line.

If you don't put your body on the line you'll always be a powderpuff who gets manhandled by stronger players.

If Nick truly is 90kgs, most players would bench that easily. After seeing Nelson Asofa-Solomona absolutely man handle Kayln Ponga the other night, if this happened to Nick on the wing he'd be in Row Z.
I have seen Meaney put his body on the line plenty of times in defence. Even the best fullbacks look like fools sometimes when they have a bigger body running at pace.

Ponga and Meaney would get man handled in the exact same way I'm not sure what your point is with that?

Meaney needs to work on his ball running and when to chime into the backline.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have seen Meaney put his body on the line plenty of times in defence. Even the best fullbacks look like fools sometimes when they have a bigger body running at pace.

Ponga and Meaney would get man handled in the exact same way I'm not sure what your point is with that?

Meaney needs to work on his ball running and when to chime into the backline.
exactly correct, putting his body on the line this year hasn't been his problem at all .. its his lack of involvement in attack that has been the big issue.. what pay did by moving him to the wing was kill his confidence even more … just such a dumb move ..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FCUK DEAN PAY!! SACK DEAN PAY!! FCUK THE BOARD FOR PROLONGING DEAN PAY!!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Imagine how much confidence Meaney would have lost after that game. He would have been better in Canterbury Cup.
Toupo was one problem. Having to do the tackling for Hopoate was the other.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
exactly correct, putting his body on the line this year hasn't been his problem at all .. its his lack of involvement in attack that has been the big issue.. what pay did by moving him to the wing was kill his confidence even more … just such a dumb move ..
True and that has been my issue with him also. But he did get in good position and running at speed when Hoppa found him with a couple of cut out passes, which looked really good to me.
He did get ragged dolled running the ball out a couple of times however.
So you think it's fullback or Canterbury cup?

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
True and that has been my issue with him also. But he did look get in good position and running at speed when Hoppa found him with a couple of cut out passes, which looked really good to me.
He did get ragged dolled running the ball out a couple of times however.
So you think it's fullback or Canterbury cup?
Absolutely .. unless he wants to put on 15kgs .. he has to go back to reserves as a fb

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
I feel like the point was missed
Meaney might make a good winger in time, but to be put up against Latrell and Daniel on the cusp of origin selection was a weak ass move by the coach
The poor kid took a knife to a gun fight and was told they were unarmed
What weak minded human would do that to someone
I believe right there is the stupidity we are seeing from the coaching selections this year
I don't believe we have that bad a squad... I mean we were always going to struggle ... but hair brain selections like this and so many omissions this year have made what was going to be a struggle turn in to Armageddon.
Well done Dean Pay !
Quality coaching right there
Meaney is 90kg and 181cm ... but ability in that position over his opposition, he may as well be 3ft 2 and 30kg

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney might make a good winger in time, but to be put up against Latrell and Daniel on the cusp of origin selection was a weak ass move by the coach
I believe right there is the stupidity we are seeing from the coaching selections this year
I don't believe we have that bad a squad... I mean we were always going to struggle ... but hair brain selections like this and so many omissions this year have made what was going to be a struggle turn in to Armageddon.
Well done Dean Pay !
Meaney is 90kg and 181cm ... but ability in that position over his opposition, he may as well be 3ft 2 and 30kg
DWZ was always signed to play fullback...
Dean Pay thought he was clever by saying in the media during the week he was unsure where he was gonna play DWZ... what a load of crap...
Then, to try and make himself look like he was telling us the truth, he kept Meaney in the team and played him on the wing.... what a brain dead decision...

OR maybe,

Dean Pay really has NFI what he is doing and really had NFI where to play DWZ right before kick off... if that's the case, then he shouldn't be coaching first grade NRL at all...

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
meany shouldnt be targeted here... his size and weight is not totally in his control... he cant all of a sudden transform into a Ferguson... based on the current roster, he gets into the squad... and thats fair... however if we acquire better talent, bigger, stronger, smarter, then yes of course the kid goes back... but for now, you seriously cannot bag him.

A

Alexander the Great

Imagine being 5ft8 weighing in at 60kgs wringing wet and being asked to play on the wing against Daniel Tupu and Latrell Mitchell...
A dream come true for a young half / fullback changing clubs to forge a career

Also how good would it be to be an up and coming hooker to be told your playing half back ... albeit he did himself proud.
Imagine that
Do you think the players play spin the bottle for their positions at training
Best line mate

Lets play spin the bottle for our spot this week

A

Alexander the Great

Meany is quick and agile.i would throw him into the 9 spot with JMK. What else have we got to lose this year

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meany needs to be mentored by Billy Slater. The kid has speed but he never goes full throttle. He would kill it if every run he did was at full pace. His positional play at FB is very very good given his rooky status and he is pretty safe under a bomb. He cant play wing though as he is too small for the hit ups.

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
meany shouldnt be targeted here... his size and weight is not totally in his control... he cant all of a sudden transform into a Ferguson... based on the current roster, he gets into the squad... and thats fair... however if we acquire better talent, bigger, stronger, smarter, then yes of course the kid goes back... but for now, you seriously cannot bag him.
If he was given a shot on the wing V .... let's say, the tigers.
Then he may have had a chance to shine
This is not picking on him.
He's a talent.
But ffs... he was hung out to dry by Pay on the weekend

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
Meany needs to be mentored by Billy Slater. The kid has speed but he never goes full throttle. He would kill it if every run he did was at full pace. His positional play at FB is very very good given his rooky status and he is pretty safe under a bomb. He cant play wing though as he is too small for the hit ups.
He needs to learn not to go missing in attack and be used better finding holes in the defensive line ... his support play needs to exist ....
Billy Slater was No1 for both as well as his positional play and safe hands
Meaney is a talent but needs to find that next level

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney doesn't have confidence.

There are three things about Meaney I drew attention to when he first signed at the club (and was told "Oh you have to give him a chance Mr I .. don't write him off so fast"):
1. Defence - He cannot tackle and just tries to bump off attackers. Does not put body on line.
2. Attack - Doesn't inject himself in attack enough, sniff for offloads, or during support play.
3. Confidence - He's not a confident player.

The good parts about him was his speed and his handling (very safe under the high ball).

14 rounds in and it's starting to show. He's exactly the same as he was at the Knights, and it's easy to see why Knights were happy to release him and Flogger at the same time.
You're being very hard on a bloke, who gives 100% every week,the coach is the one with no idea,and I agree with you there,but the old saying if the forwards,aren't dominating,the backs got no chance,the first 2 forwards I would bench would be Tolman,and Jackson,both great club men,but Tolman especially,a hindrance to any progress

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well done Dean Pay !
Mate honestly the kid is in first grade. If he can’t cut then get back in the Reggie’s....he was on the wing marked up on some legit first grade players but that’s how it is, that’s the reality of this game and if the coach needs you to play another position then so be it. It was a learning experience for him which can only make him better as he can see where he needs to grow as a player....it’s not fucking play school

In saying that I’m not the biggest Pay fan either but Meaney has been safe at the back without offering anything in offense. DWZ is the better fucllback imo

Last edited:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only did he shatter poor meany's confidence, what about remis Smith.
Poor bloke gets taken from the right wing to left centre.
To many flaws now on dean pay.
Trials are where we try things not against the premiers.
Even though our season is gone every game should be treated with respect.