Opal Tower Crumbling

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fuaaaarkkk...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nts-unlivable-months-cracks-began-appear.html

In the four months since the mass-evacuation, Icon has spent more than $10 million reimbursing residents for accommodation and living expenses since December 31, according to an Icon spokeswoman.

The news comes nearly two months after footage captured by a whistelblower three years ago and obtained by A Current Affair, captured the bungled building work inside the tower, which has been dubbed as 'patch up job' by an insider.

In the video an abundance of negligence's were recorded, including one concrete slab between the tenth and eleventh floor which is riddled with cracks. The severe cracks were patched up with filler, while the supporting pillars also appear to be crumbling. But rather than use the filler as a temporary fix, it's believed the area wasn't cut out and replaced but rather the filler held the cracks together while a further 20 storey's were built on top.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Fuaaaarkkk...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...nts-unlivable-months-cracks-began-appear.html

In the four months since the mass-evacuation, Icon has spent more than $10 million reimbursing residents for accommodation and living expenses since December 31, according to an Icon spokeswoman.

The news comes nearly two months after footage captured by a whistelblower three years ago and obtained by A Current Affair, captured the bungled building work inside the tower, which has been dubbed as 'patch up job' by an insider.

In the video an abundance of negligence's were recorded, including one concrete slab between the tenth and eleventh floor which is riddled with cracks. The severe cracks were patched up with filler, while the supporting pillars also appear to be crumbling. But rather than use the filler as a temporary fix, it's believed the area wasn't cut out and replaced but rather the filler held the cracks together while a further 20 storey's were built on top.
Is it too much trouble for them to find a wrecking ball?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Is it too much trouble for them to find a wrecking ball?
Probably cost them too much... cheaper to patch it up and have the owners cop a massive hit on an unsellable investment. Nobody will touch them in the future when they come up for sale.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Probably cost them too much... cheaper to patch it up and have the owners cop a massive hit on an unsellable investment. Nobody will touch them in the future when they come up for sale.
Well that's the thing... they NEED to make an example out of this company so no one does it again, and by that, I mean they should buy every apartment back from the owner paying them back every cent (and if applicable, interest). If they took shortcuts to make a quick profit risking the lives and safety of others, they need to be made to pay for it. This could've resulted in a catastrophe - and there's nothing to say that it still can happen in the future.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well that's the thing... they NEED to make an example out of this company so no one does it again, and by that, I mean they should buy every apartment back from the owner paying them back every cent (and if applicable, interest). If they took shortcuts to make a quick profit risking the lives and safety of others, they need to be made to pay for it. This could've resulted in a catastrophe - and there's nothing to say that it still can happen in the future.
100% agree with you..

I can see a class action eventually happening on this one.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Very easy.
Just ban Lebs from building anything and this won't happen.

Before anyone pulls the race card on me, two of my friends both Lebs, said the same thing!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually Chinese built /developed are the ones to really worry about.
If you want something thats built to last?
Just employ old school Italians,Yugoslavs and Polaks.

My grandfather built a home in Earlwood 50 years ago and my mum says the house is still in good shape for its age!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I might buy one if its $800

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you want something thats built to last?
Just employ old school Italians,Yugoslavs and Polaks.

My grandfather built a home in Earlwood 50 years ago and my mum says the house is still in good shape for its age!
It's not the builders, it's the materials.

Have a look around Sydney CBD at the majority of buildings that have held their age well... All sandstone. But it's too bloody expensive to build with, hence cheaper options sought.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm surprised that we're just seeing this kind of thing now. The building regulations pre John Howard's time as pm were good. He deregulated the building industry among other things. He basically also put an end to journalistic integrity so has escaped media criticism for many years.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm surprised that we're just seeing this kind of thing now. The building regulations pre John Howard's time as pm were good. He deregulated the building industry among other things. He basically also put an end to journalistic integrity so has escaped media criticism for many years.
Nothing to do with that. It's with cheap build materials from overseas, and cheap 457 labour from overseas being used in construction industry.

Faulty support beam being blamed in this case.

Theres no attention to detail or care put into most builders these days (except those that charge a premium).

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing to do with that. It's with cheap build materials from overseas, and cheap 457 labour from overseas being used in construction industry.

Theres no attention to detail or care put into most builders these days (except those that charge a premium).
It has plenty to do with regulation. Private regulators = bribed.

It’s a combination of: greedy *****, dodgy *****, and flop *****. The building industry is full of these. There’s money to be made and some people don’t like to think about others.

Then they say they are “under pressure trying to keep up with consumer demand”... A stupid statement in itself

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Once upon a time the building regulations would have meant that the Opal towers builders wouldn't have been game to use dodgy materials. Simple as that. The guy that was killed in the scaffolding collapse and other such incidents could potentially have been avoided if the laws governing safety hadn't been relaxed.

The regulation of the building industry was done as a result of learning from past mistakes. So while Howard wasn't directly responsible for the dodgy work practices at these sites, he set the wheels in motion for the cost cutting measures.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mascot tower as well. I think it's safe to say not to live in a unit. Why would you anyway.

I don't want to hear the guy in the next apartment fart in the night or take a dump in his toilet. Or smell the shit they cook in the kitchen

Plus the units are all cracking to pieces. It's a bad way to live, like a hostel

Buy a house.

Wahesh

Reaction score
The mascot tower as well. I think it's safe to say not to live in a unit. Why would you anyway.

I don't want to hear the guy in the next apartment fart in the night or take a dump in his toilet. Or smell the shit they cook in the kitchen

Plus the units are all cracking to pieces. It's a bad way to live, like a hostel

Buy a house.
Don't buy a project home either. They're cheaper for a reason.