Other News Source Bulldogs to try lure Brisbane hooker Jake Turpin to Belmore

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
http://theland-downunder.com/2019/06/14/bulldogs-to-try-lure-brisbane-hooker-jake-turpin-to-belmore/

Canterbury have confirmed they’ll attempt to lure highly promising hooker Jake Turpin from Red Hill to Belmore, but Brisbane say they’re up for the fight to retain the young gun.

The Broncos are facing a battle to retain Jake Turpin with the Bulldogs launching a poaching bid to bring Brisbane’s man-of-the-moment to Belmore.

Turpin will run out as Brisbane’s No.1 hooker against the Eels on Saturday night at Bankwest Stadium and just 20km from Parramatta’s home ground, the Bulldogs are hatching plans to lure the in-form hooker away from Red Hill.

We can reveal Canterbury are among four NRL rivals leading the charge to poach Turpin, who has become Brisbane’s find of the season.

The off-contract 22-year-old has produced such a stunning form burst this season he has gone from being outside Brisbane’s top 30 full-time squad to unseating Andrew McCullough as the Broncos’ pre-eminent hooker.

Now several NRL suitors, led by the Bulldogs, have arrived with big-money offers for a hooker who was earning around $70,000 last year.

The Broncos regard Turpin highly and will fight hard to keep him, but they will have to up the ante, with the Bulldogs on Friday night confirming their interest in the former Storm rake.

“We are interested in Jake, he certainly fits into what we are about,” said Canterbury director Chris Anderson.

Turpin has been exceptional since his promotion to the NRL.
The Bulldogs are so keen on Turpin they discussed trying to bring him to Belmore before June 30 this year, but the Broncos are not interested in releasing the tough-as-nails hooker.

“I don’t know if we can fit anyone into our squad before June 30, but we think Jake would be a good fit for the Bulldogs down the track,” Anderson said.

“I like what he’s about, he’s a good tough kid.

“He came through the Storm system … I don’t know why they would let him go.

“He has been outstanding for the Broncos and we think he could offer us something at hooker.”

The Wests Tigers are another club linked to Turpin, who has played six NRL games and four this season, impressing over the past month with his slick service and stinging front-on defence.

It is understood the Broncos have tabled a one-year deal for Turpin, but the Bulldogs are considering a two or three-year deal to get their man.

With McCullough turning 30 in January, Turpin represents the future for the Broncos and coach Anthony Seibold pledged to do everything possible to retain his durable dummy-half.

“Jake has been great for us, I certainly don’t want to lose him,” Seibold said.

“It doesn’t surprise me how tough he’s played or how competitive he’s been because that’s always been his nature.

“He’s taken the (Broncos) No.9 jersey with both hands and he’s kept it this week.

“I’m really confident in what he can do but I’m really happy and proud of how he’s developed into a player.”

Seibold confirmed Turpin wasn’t even in Brisbane’s full-time squad in pre-season.

“He was a development player, so we had to put him in our top 30,” he said.

“It’s a really good story and it probably shows a lot of players playing in the Intrust Super Cup that it’s never too late.

“We had to put him into our top 30 when a spot became available with Kodi Nikorima leaving (to the Warriors) and I think he’s done a really good job.”

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
lol what a full of shit of an article.

4 clubs chasing him and they only mention the dogs because we have a "war chest" for 2021.

We are going to be linked to every single player in the NRL

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Missed the boat big time on him! He’s been in Queensland Cup for the last year. If the club has just discovered he exists after playing a bit of NRL it’s piss poor. These types of players should be targeted well before they get close to NRL. They are so much cheaper and easier to lure away from their current club if you get them early.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd like him, will also recommend a better barber if he comes down.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Does anyone think he's up for 80mins for a whole season ? dont know a great deal about him, only recent nrl games. Is Harry Grant a better option ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we sign a decent 9 it would instill some confidence that the club is headed in the right direction.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Missed the boat big time on him! He’s been in Queensland Cup for the last year. If the club has just discovered he exists after playing a bit of NRL it’s piss poor. These types of players should be targeted well before they get close to NRL. They are so much cheaper and easier to lure away from their current club if you get them early.
To be fair though, Wayne Bennett had been up there for a while and didn’t recognise him and not sure if Seibold put together this years top 30 but if he did, he didn’t have him in the Top 30 either?

Some players just seem to come out of nowhere.

I know many Dragons supporters who still blow up they lost Cook when he was playing fullback for them...

Who knows if he’s been on our radar and who knows if CA isn’t trying to bait clubs also?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be fair though, Wayne Bennett had been up there for a while and didn’t recognise him and not sure if Seibold put together this years top 30 but if he did, he didn’t have him in the Top 30 either?

Some players just seem to come out of nowhere.

I know many Dragons supporters who still blow up they lost Cook when he was playing fullback for them...
Yeah I agree and they aren’t going to get them all. I’m just talking about this specific case with Turpin it’s going to be so much harder to get him to the club now then it would have been even 6 months earlier. I just hope we are targeting these type of players before they hit NRL now.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Broncos have shown their cards, but promoting him to the run on side ahead of Andrew McCullough

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does anyone think he's up for 80mins for a whole season ? dont know a great deal about him, only recent nrl games. Is Harry Grant a better option ?
They are both shit, your club can find better players.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Waiting for someone to post our line up with him as the number 9
Going off this week its

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. W. Blake
4. Lomax
5. R.Smith
6. L. Mitchell
7. J. O'Sullivan
8. Napa
9. Turpin
10. Welch
11. Stimson
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. To'omaga
16. RFM
17. Good County Kid

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
How does a rando site like that get quotes from Anderson like that when we haven't heard a peep from him since takeover?

Dubious

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going off this week its

1. Meaney
2. DWZ
3. W. Blake
4. Lomax
5. R.Smith
6. L. Mitchell
7. J. O'Sullivan
8. Napa
9. Turpin
10. Welch
11. Stimson
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. To'omaga
16. RFM
17. Good County Kid
Now waiting for someone to correct your squad with their changes and so on and so on hahaha

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smells of an agent trying to bump up his next contract offer from the Broncos. Hope we're smart enough not to get drawn into the whole circus ...

Though, the wishful side of me wants to believe it's possible!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually googled Belmore to Bankwest Stadium, and yep, its about 20km.

Which got me thinking why we are going to play there.

SCG is closer FFS.