No Source Ponga

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With all of this speculation about Ponga looking for a release or upgrade and at least testing the market in 2021, what sort of offers do you think he'll get from Rugby and other clubs and how much should we offer?

I've gone on about the value of signing Latrell for $1 million a year on a long term deal but Ponga is a way more complete player.

I think he's worth $1.3 million based on some of the other wages going around. That's more than double his current salary. Make it happen on a 5 year deal!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
With all of this speculation about Pinga looking for a release or upgrade and at least testing the market in 2021, what sort of offers do you think he'll get from Rugby and other clubs and how much should we offer?

I've gone on about the value of signing Latrell for $1 million a year on a long term deal but Ponga is a way more complete player.

I think he's worth $1.3 million based on some of the other wages going around. That's more than double his current salary. Make it happen on a 5 year deal!
If rugby want him and Australia and New Zealand national sides are fighting over him, his earning potential will dwarf any potential money Rugby League can offer..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If rugby want him and Australia and New Zealand national sides are fighting over him, his earning potential will dwarf any potential money Rugby League can offer..
Because of payments made by the ARU or NZ Rugby on top of his deal? What would that amount to?

I think he'll go to the All Blacks. But if he has any interest in staying in League, we have to offer more than any other club.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because of payments made by the ARU or NZ Rugby on top of his deal? What would that amount to?

I think he'll go to the All Blacks. But if he has any interest in staying in League, we have to offer more than any other club.
yeah the national team contract plus endorsements is where they really earn the money in rugby union..

I agree the guy is a freak and I would throw as much money at him as possible .. but it will never be enough..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yeah the national team contract plus endorsements is where they really earn the money in rugby union..

I agree the guy is a freak and I would throw as much money at him as possible .. but it will never be enough..
You're probably right. What sort of figure would that be though based on other All Blacks star salaries? Over $1.5 million? 2 million?

What's the most Ponga could get in the NRL for rep games? 90k for Origin and 60k for tests? You'd think any club could have 500k in TPA's for Ponga alone.

But as you say, it's all probably inevitable he goes back to Rugby.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're probably right. What sort of figure would that be though based on other All Blacks star salaries? Over $1.5 million? 2 million?

What's the most Ponga could get in the NRL for rep games? 90k for Origin and 60k for tests? You'd think any club could have 500k in TPA's for Ponga alone.

But as you say, it's all probably inevitable he goes back to Rugby.
im not exactly sure what the max earning potential would be in Rugby Union, all I know League cant compete with it what ever it may be, and more importantly he grew up playing Union...

he will be a world beater in Union, he will make a mess of their defensive lines ..

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read an article yesterday whereby they were talking to his father.
His dad said that they were not looking to make any decisions prematurely with regards to his contract.
He said they werent looking for a mid contract upgrade and would wait to negotiate until the new contract.
He said it could go either way with the value of the contract as his form around that time would determine the price and that's how it should be (According to him).
He said that if Kalyn's form declined and reduced his price, then so be it and that is what his fair market value is at that point in time.

Interesting enough, how much of it you believe is up to you.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im not exactly sure what the max earning potential would be in Rugby Union, all I know League cant compete with it what ever it may be, and more importantly he grew up playing Union...

he will be a world beater in Union, he will make a mess of their defensive lines ..
Not in Aus though.. who plays rugby in Australia? Seriously... only those poofters who live in north Sydney

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not in Aus though.. who plays rugby in Australia? Seriously... only those poofters who live in north Sydney
yeah but those snobs in the north shore have all the corporate dollars..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We should certainly go hard ,i reckon hell do one 4-5 year contract in league then go to rugby

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Yeah but it's union... It's so shit!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmmm… the All Blacks don’t actually pay that well. Ponga could expect around the AUD $1m mark with the Super Rugby & All Black contract maybe a bit more.
If he really wanted big bucks he could play Rugby in Europe and get a AUD $1.9m base salary, perhaps.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My guess is Ponga will definitely play for the All Blacks at some stage ... can't wait for that to happen.. Screw the Knights and Qld.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Wallabies are trying to get him, dont know how much success they'll have considering he wants to play for another country.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt bother with Ponga.

Remember when he was at the Cowboys his father was after ridiculous cash and he ended up getting it. (at that time)

2 years into a 4 year deal and his father is whingeing again.

Than they throw around he wants to play for the All Blacks, go to union, ends up playing SOO and so on.

I wouldnt bother because it seems that there will be constant money dramas with this kid and his father.

I also do see him leaving League to go play Union

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldnt bother with Ponga.

Remember when he was at the Cowboys his father was after ridiculous cash and he ended up getting it. (at that time)

2 years into a 4 year deal and his father is whingeing again.

Than they throw around he wants to play for the All Blacks, go to union, ends up playing SOO and so on.

I wouldnt bother because it seems that there will be constant money dramas with this kid and his father.

I also do see him leaving League to go play Union
The **** is a mercenary who will not see out one league contract.

I believe his heart lays with Union and i think he should go there ASAP.

Would like to see him in a All Blacks jersey