News Bulldogs' bad run 'testing' frustrated playmaker Foran

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are we the only team in the comp using the umbrella defence.
It was good tactic years ago (if done properly) but the games evolved so should our tactics most teams move up and slide but pay is as stubborn as des and wont change.
Pay's just stupid because its probably the only defensive tactic he knows besides hitting them hard!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I watched some of those tries with disbelief really
The try scorers just jogged across our line without a hand being put on them at the end
Anyway I’m no expert but put it on Pay and playing roster not being up to standard
I'm fucked if I now what is going on with our club.
The team has got worse under Pay but I go back to round 24 of the 2016 season we were equal 4th going into that round, had been playing ugly football most of the season but grinding out wins then the wheels feel off!!
And those wheels have ever been found since.

There were six passengers that season:-

T-Rex kept on missing tackles dropping the ball.
Danny F – dropping the ball like nobody’s business.
Tolman – The cowboys game in Townsville fucked him for the rest of the season.
Eastwood – that’s the season he ran out of puff, maybe he was injured.
2nd rower who went to Penrith
there was one more who I can’t think of, a shit winger I think.

Anyway the team was like carrying these underperformers all season and then collectively it’s like a meeting of the minds and…nah fuck this way too hard.
That has been the mindset of the playing group since then, maybe the club should fly in a team of head doctors from Vienna and work on the boys and coaching staff around the clock to try and fix them.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Classic example of lazy inside defence was when Hunt strolled over beside the posts,Montoya stayed with his man so Hunt didn’t have to pass to the outside and basically walked over the try line.Same thing happens every week but usually our centre,wingers race in trying to stop the try being scored near the posts and end up looking dumb.

Reaction score
That's exactly what i got out of it. He is trying his ass off, he has lost a lot of his pace but you put him in a better side and he would take that team far.

Doesnt help when he runs the ball, looks to his left and his options are

Elliott
Montoya
Okenbur..

Even Terry Lamb would be deflated if that was his outside men..
terry lamb would just run the ball himself and score under the posts

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm fucked if I now what is going on with our club.
The team has got worse under Pay but I go back to round 24 of the 2016 season we were equal 4th going into that round, had been playing ugly football most of the season but grinding out wins then the wheels feel off!!
And those wheels have ever been found since.

There were six passengers that season:-

T-Rex kept on missing tackles dropping the ball.
Danny F – dropping the ball like nobody’s business.
Tolman – The cowboys game in Townsville fucked him for the rest of the season.
Eastwood – that’s the season he ran out of puff, maybe he was injured.
2nd rower who went to Penrith
there was one more who I can’t think of, a shit winger I think.

Anyway the team was like carrying these underperformers all season and then collectively it’s like a meeting of the minds and…nah fuck this way too hard.
That has been the mindset of the playing group since then, maybe the club should fly in a team of head doctors from Vienna and work on the boys and coaching staff around the clock to try and fix them.
I actually go back even further than that. Grand Final vs Storm 2012 is where things went wrong for us. Storm had a clear defensive game plan and we didn't adapt at all. To make things worse we then went into 2013 and did the exact same players and were punished for it greatly. Really don't know how we made the finals that year.

2014 was 100% down to our defensive efforts and a bit of luck at the end. Our attack otherwise was non-existent and making the GF covered up all our deep issues.

2015 was another poor year covered up by a string of wins at the end of the year that eventually led to nothing. Cook and other individual brilliance made us look a lot better than we were.

2016 as you said we were in the right position, but to be fair we weren't ever really a threat to anyone. Another frustrating year, especially at the end there with 4 straight losses.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I actually go back even further than that. Grand Final vs Storm 2012 is where things went wrong for us. Storm had a clear defensive game plan and we didn't adapt at all. To make things worse we then went into 2013 and did the exact same players and were punished for it greatly. Really don't know how we made the finals that year.

2014 was 100% down to our defensive efforts and a bit of luck at the end. Our attack otherwise was non-existent and making the GF covered up all our deep issues.

2015 was another poor year covered up by a string of wins at the end of the year that eventually led to nothing. Cook and other individual brilliance made us look a lot better than we were.

2016 as you said we were in the right position, but to be fair we weren't ever really a threat to anyone. Another frustrating year, especially at the end there with 4 straight losses.
You make a fair point. But Im sure if you said to the Gold Coast, The Warriors, The Tigers, Canberra, The Dragons, Parra, Manly or the The Knights would you be happy with 2 Grand final chances in 5 years? Im pretty sure they would.

I'm glad Des has gone back to his Sea budgies, because his business plan left a friggin mess and unfortunately no premierships to soothe the pain left behind.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are we the only team in the comp using the umbrella defence.
It was good tactic years ago (if done properly) but the games evolved so should our tactics most teams move up and slide but pay is as stubborn as des and wont change.
Were not playing umbrella defence. Very hard to do in today’s 10 meter rule, much easier to execute when it was the 5 meter rule.

We play a compressed defence but we don’t execute it well, and that’s because of coaching I’m afraid. Compressed defence makes it hard for the attacking team to go through you and attackers will look to go around you, but a compressed defence needs to be able to move up and slide across. Reaction and sliding needs to be quick, with the goal of making the attacking team run out of room and heading towards the sideline.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not a bad squad? We have no hooker, no strike centre, no top line fullback, props who struggle to bend the line. I think this squad is reserve grade standard
We have a centre in DWZ