News SCG set to host NRL grand final after ANZ renovation

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
ANZ Stadium will undergo a facelift after next year's State of Origin series, handing the Sydney Cricket Ground the rights to at least the 2020 NRL grand final during construction.

The NRL told club chief executives and chairs at a meeting in Sydney on Wednesday that ANZ Stadium would be out of action after next year's Origin series opener at the Olympic venue.

It will leave the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs searching for a new home for the second half of the season, but also the NRL for its major events.

It's likely the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs will play the majority of their home games in the first half of the year and are expected to take most of their remaining games to Bankwest Stadium.

ANZ Stadium, which will be transformed into a 70-75,000 seat rectangular facility, will be out of action until the start of the 2023 NRL season.

The Sydney Cricket Ground will host grand final day in 2020 with the NRL in discussion with the NSW Government about locking in the next two grand finals after that.

The new stadium at Moore Park is expected in early 2022 and could be in line to host the grand final that year.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/12/scg/

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The GF info won’t bother us haha but looks like BankWest will be our home soon!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thread shouldn't be in the "Bulldogs Discussion" forum, we won't be apart of a grand final any time soon.

Reactions: DT

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread shouldn't be in the "Bulldogs Discussion" forum, we won't be apart of a grand final any time soon.
it impacts our home games, so it is bulldogs news.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
GF at the SCG because it's the perfect Rugby League ground....Just move the **** to Suncorp ffs.
Screw Queensland.... we have to endure another four years of coalition government thanks to those jerks :p

They should take it rural. Play it on a cow paddock in Coonabarabran

Last edited:
Reactions: DT

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
GF at the SCG because it's the perfect Rugby League ground....Just move the **** to Suncorp ffs.
SCG is up there with the Showground for shittest venue I have watched NRL at. They will charge a absolute truckload for tickets too because of the reduced capacity.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its a good ground but it only holds 52k, the GF usually gets 80k+.
Yh but like I said it's a Rugby League stadium, the SCG is not. The only reason it's staying in NSW is money.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
MEMBERS UPDATE ON ANZ
STADIUM RE-DEVELOPMENT

Dear Members,

I thought it important to give you an update on the plans for the re-development of ANZ Stadium moving forward to let you know where the Bulldogs are positioned.

Government has announced that the re-development of ANZ Stadium will now commence after the State of Origin match in Sydney next year.

This date will be confirmed in due course. Once the re-development has commenced it is anticipated that the work will be completed by February 2023.

What, therefore, does this mean for you as Bulldogs Members?

Because of the commencement date the Bulldogs will continue to play their home matches at ANZ Stadium up until the re-development date.

The club will decide where to play our additional home matches in the coming months, once we have official dates for work beginning at ANZ Stadium.

There will be a number of options to consider and we will look at each of those.

One option will be to play matches at Bankwest Stadium. You as Members will get a chance to experience that ground when we take on the Penrith Panthers on Saturday 3rd August at 5-30 pm. I urge everyone to come along that day to try out this new State-of-the-art Stadium and get an idea of the spectator experience there.

We will also look at other stadium options that are presented to us.

As promised you will be the first to know as soon as we have more news on our schedule of matches for next season.

Thanks for your continued support.

Andrew Hill – Chief Executive

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is correct to say that we won’t be playing out of ANZ for 2 1/2 years
I’ll be interested to see if we play all games at Parramatta or split them with Belmore

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So is correct to say that we won’t be playing out of ANZ for 2 1/2 years
I’ll be interested to see if we play all games at Parramatta or split them with Belmore
I think the majority will be at BankWest with a handful at Belmore.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a disaster. The SCG is horrible to watch footy at, but having the GF there is insane. They should have moved it to Suncorp for sure. I don't mind the GF staying in Sydney long term but only if there's an adequate Rugby League venue, which the SCG is not.

Considering the NRL's never ending hard on for Brisbane, I'm amazed the GF isn't being played there in 2020.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully once we move to Bankwest, we never move back. Even once the renovation of Homebush is complete, it won't match Bankwest which is perfect for club games.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think many people will be worried about getting to Parramatta
My only concern is seeing our team back on top and playing excellent footy

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully once we move to Bankwest, we never move back. Even once the renovation of Homebush is complete, it won't match Bankwest which is perfect for club games.
We have been at ANZ for so long now people are just used to a shit atmosphere and being miles from the field. 2021 could be a massive year if we get the recruiting right and get BankWest packed out when the bandwagoners return.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have been at ANZ for so long now people are just used to a shit atmosphere and being miles from the field. 2021 could be a massive year if we get the recruiting right and get BankWest packed out when the bandwagoners return.
For sure. If we have the roster we hope to have by then, we'd nearly sell out every game. Despite the team struggling for years now and playing at soulless ANZ, our crowds are still solid, such is the level of support the club has and how loyal our fans are.

If we ever become a legitimate premiership force again at a boutique ground like Bankwest, then we could make the ground our own home like the Oasis project was supposed to be.

Last edited: