How Phil Gould helped deliver Watene-Zelezniak to the Bulldogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok and if he leaves because he doesn't get a shot, someone picks him up and plays him and he becomes a great NRL centre will you then admit your process is rubbish?
He will have created the situation himself, we aren't forcing him to make mistakes in CC, a lot of stupid ones at that. Under, according to some on TK, the best coach ever. The fact is we can't keep everyone, that's what the salary cap is designed to do, make clubs choose who to keep and who to let go. Some decisions will be right (which we will conveniently forget about) and undoubtedly some will be wrong (which we will be reminded about forever). The way I see it he is getting "a shot" in CC, if he can't prove he is worth promoting then he won't get promoted. Keeping in mind that he has already been promoted once this year, from a Development Player to one of the 30 Squad, which involves a pay rise, so it's not like he is being ignored.

Go Dogs

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will have created the situation himself, we aren't forcing him to make mistakes in CC, a lot of stupid ones at that. Under, according to some on TK, the best coach ever. The fact is we can't keep everyone, that's what the salary cap is designed to do, make clubs choose who to keep and who to let go. Some decisions will be right (which we will conveniently forget about) and undoubtedly some will be wrong (which we will be reminded about forever). The way I see it he is getting "a shot" in CC, if he can't prove he is worth promoting then he won't get promoted. Keeping in mind that he has already been promoted once this year, from a Development Player to one of the 30 Squad, which involves a pay rise, so it's not like he is being ignored.

Go Dogs
"The fact is we cant keep everyone"?? Fark me even the supporters are starting to sound like Pay. What a stupid approach to a 21 yr old captain of the reserve grade team who is currently playing good footy bar a few mistakes. The FACT he is off contract and shows potential means you check to see if this kid is worth re-signing or you don't bother wasting money on him, wasting a spot in your top 30 next season and don't give a stuff if he looks elsewhere.

We aren't exactly top 8 contenders, we should be using this ridiculously crap season to get our shit in order next yr. That means bringing in kids like Harper and RT and dropping drop kicks like Elliot and relieving injured blokes like Jacko of his duties.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"The fact is we cant keep everyone"?? Fark me even the supporters are starting to sound like Pay. What a stupid approach to a 21 yr old captain of the reserve grade team who is currently playing good footy bar a few mistakes. The FACT he is off contract and shows potential means you check to see if this kid is worth re-signing or you don't bother wasting money on him, wasting a spot in your top 30 next season and don't give a stuff if he looks elsewhere.

We aren't exactly top 8 contenders, we should be using this ridiculously crap season to get our shit in order next yr. That means bringing in kids like Harper and RT and dropping drop kicks like Elliot and relieving injured blokes like Jacko of his duties.
Don't waste your time.

We can see that that approach makes sense. They upgraded Harper to Top 30 to warn off other clubs snifing around.

Nothing to lose by testing him and RT in FG...might just refresh the team as it did last year with Lewis, R Smith and Martin.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There are far too many elementary coaching and man management mistakes happening around the team to allow any success or comraderie to pull ourselves out of this...without intervention.

Looks like the Club is going to let the cards fall as they may at this stage and see if Pay can start to prepare a cohesive team.

We'll all have to wait and see, watch our tapes from the 80's and 90's and pray that 2021 comes around quick.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why you think that has to be in 1st grade, all of that can be accomplished in CC. We have a 30 player squad which covers CC and NRL and obviously not all of those 30 are NRL players now or ever, but we still need them. It's not like we absolutely have to decide if he's a $105k player or a $700k player this week, or next week or even next month.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't give a stuff if he goes elsewhere, what the question at hand is is do you really think we can keep everyone?

Harper is a centre, so unless you are suggesting he play back row, what the hell has Elliot and Jackson got to do with him? The fact is he is competing with Hopoate and DWZ for his position and right now he isn't playing well enough to even think about him replacing them.

Go Dogs

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't understand why you think that has to be in 1st grade, all of that can be accomplished in CC. We have a 30 player squad which covers CC and NRL and obviously not all of those 30 are NRL players now or ever, but we still need them. It's not like we absolutely have to decide if he's a $105k player or a $700k player this week, or next week or even next month.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't give a stuff if he goes elsewhere, what the question at hand is is do you really think we can keep everyone?

Harper is a centre, so unless you are suggesting he play back row, what the hell has Elliot and Jackson got to do with him? The fact is he is competing with Hopoate and DWZ for his position and right now he isn't playing well enough to even think about him replacing them.

Go Dogs
Players rise to the occasion and Harper could be a solution to our centre issues. My point is why re-sign him if his not a solution when that money and spot in the 30 could be used more wisely. You do make a good point as to if he was to shine then we lose money on his upgrade but we lose it anyway if he turns out a fraud....

In regards to the players mentioned it was more so said as a generalised term... But dropping those players doesn't mean the squad cant be shifted. Easy to give RT a run and play CHN and Martin as our edge rowers.

In regards to Harper, I would drop Meaney who needs to learn his trade in reggies, put DWZ at the back, shift Monty to the wing and play Harper in centre.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah clearly there's no spot in FG now or in the future for Harper or Katoa etc when Montoya, Meaney and Hopoate are in FG and playing so, so well. I mean, why would you make changes and blood some new youngsters when you're going to win the spoon? What a stupid idea! How dare you suggest such a thing!

You gain much more by playing dead weight guys who have had their chance and done nothing with it 80 minutes every week while our other youngsters rot in reserves and their development is stifled.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dropping Meaney for Harper

Now i have heard it all

There has been enough dropping and promoting and its done sweet fuck all.

The only "dropping" left for this season, is to drop Dean Pay off to Kingsford Smith Airport with a one way ticket to Neverland.

The shopping has started and its time to go into a frenzy before the financial year is up

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dropping Meaney for Harper

Now i have heard it all

There has been enough dropping and promoting and its done sweet fuck all.

The only "dropping" left for this season, is to drop Dean Pay off to Kingsford Smith Airport with a one way ticket to Neverland.

The shopping has started and its time to go into a frenzy before the financial year is up
Whose a better FB, DWZ or Meaney? Whose a better centre, Meaney or Harper? Case closed.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Phillip Gould would be a massive scoop for our club.

He did wonders at Penrith with bringing in Sponsors just by being a known respected public figure, but the most impressive aspect was the junior clinics/academy he built out there along with the halves academy.

He mentioned on 100% footy with the lack of quality halves coming through the NRL, and that every club should have a halves academy.

They have one at the Panthers and have already brought through Cleary and Jerome Luai.

Bring him in!

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, Meaney at centre, against Mitchell or Manu, very funny.

Go Dogs
It would be like a snuff film. Meaney is a FB or worst case a winger. I would hate to see him on the wing though against a Vunavalu, Tupou, Oates or Sivo/Ferguson. FB or ISP I reckon. I honestly don’t mind the kid as FB just needs to get more involved in second phase play.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We should just use this season Get all tote players we can for next year, finish this year off good like we did last year and avoid the spoon and have a strong year next year hopefully

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love him or hate him, Gus has always admired our club
I am not sure what it is but Gus has a soft spot for our club. Has always spoke highly of the dogs hopefully he will be a help in attracting more quality players for us its is a great start if he does. Gould is respected by a lot of players