Opinion Theory on Adam Elliott's constant selection.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like many it's got me wondering how this bloke gets picked every week despite being bog average... and it got me thinking.

We know Pay was at Mad Monday.

I'm wondering if perhaps Pay was involved in egging Adam on, and hence feels partially responsible for the whole thing.

Hence picking Adam all the time.

Thoughts?
Common Mr I
Haven't you ever asked...Why is Adam nicknamed Herb ?
Isn't it obvious ?
He must be supplying the Bega weed to Deno and the the team :tearsofjoy:
Can't you tell by the way they play :fearscream:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
An excerpt onto pay's thinking and reasoning as to why elliot is always first picked

"you know like if we had 17 Adam elliots, this team would be top of the table he's already top of my table due to his true bulldog dna, and all of that madness i promised I'd bring to the club he brings in spades through his lack of aggression, shitty efforts on d, painfully slow hit ups and awful ball handling, but he handles my balls and shaft like a pro, and he serenades me every night, so like he's the future of everything I hold dear, ya know"

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Malla, post: 3559522,
I think Elliot must be great at training, does all the right things, is the first one there and last one to leave etc... but just doesnt produce on the field. Could be why Pay keeps picking him.[/QUOTE]

We've got a guy in my workplace that's bog average at his job, but he's always in early for his shift, happy to stay late, puts the hand up for overtime and on call. The bosses love him because even that they know that at best his skills are average the job will get done (just) and he's reliable.
I see a similar thing with Elliot, must be a hardworker despite being a very fucking average player.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Malla, post: 3559522,
I think Elliot must be great at training, does all the right things, is the first one there and last one to leave etc... but just doesnt produce on the field. Could be why Pay keeps picking him.
We've got a guy in my workplace that's bog average at his job, but he's always in early for his shift, happy to stay late, puts the hand up for overtime and on call. The bosses love him because even that they know that at best his skills are average the job will get done (just) and he's reliable.
I see a similar thing with Elliot, must be a hardworker despite being a very fucking average player.[/QUOTE]And that's enough.

But seriously I think it's because he is the main one who just hangs off every word Dean says so Pay supports him in return....Deam can't see it as part of the team's shortfall and no way, with the mistakes, to win a game. And Pay can't see it's just another example of his poor coaching. He is prepared to let the team fail by making handling errors, penalties etc to keep Adam in every game. Others have been hooked during a game for less errors.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not just being selected to play first grade he's in the leadership group and a "senior player".

He's played 65 games of first grade and most have been mediocre performances filled with handling errors, penalties and missed tackles.

Other clubs leadership groups are filled with rep players with 200 games experience and we have this clown that is more famous for getting his dick out on Mad Monday then anything he's done on a footy field!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In all honesty this is what I believe
Elliott is a very good trainer who leads by example
A very passionate player who tries to do more than he is capable of on the field that often results in a miss tackles or loss of ball
In my opinion if or when get the right players around him he will florist and all the kennelers will sing his songs

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Pay's just a dumb **** at the moment honestly.
At the moment lol????? :D

That’s rather optimistic.!! How many games you watched this year? He was dumb from the get go, and that Moment you speak of started before 2019. He’s got no idea full stop!!

Your giving him a little more credit than I that’s for sure..!!

:tongueclosed:

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly think it is all about attitude of the field - mainly at training where Elliott is said to be a very likable fella & always gives 100%.
The same goes for Rhys Martin but in reverse, his attitude & personality probably clashes with the Coach.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's not just being selected to play first grade he's in the leadership group and a "senior player".

He's played 65 games of first grade and most have been mediocre performances filled with handling errors, penalties and missed tackles.

Other clubs leadership groups are filled with rep players with 200 games experience and we have this clown that is more famous for getting his dick out on Mad Monday then anything he's done on a footy field!
Can't argue with that. I guess there wasn't much else available to join the group tbh? Says a lot about our situation on many levels.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not like Elliott is the only one who makes errors and concedes penalties. So many fans on here tend to pick one scapegoat and blast them continually. Elliott seems like that player right now. It actually makes me hope he leaves egg on the faces of his naysayers. I'm not saying I'm leading his cheer squad. But the amount of criticism directed at him is over the top considering the whole team is out there contributing to the losses. He's probably not even on a huge salary. I don't see our marquee forwards (Jackson and Napa) doing a lot more to break games open. Those two should be leading from the front. It's been a hard season to watch as a fan. But he's not responsible for every poor result. He's spoken about like he's lacing the water bottles with sedatives.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not like Elliott is the only one who makes errors and concedes penalties. So many fans on here tend to pick one scapegoat and blast them continually. Elliott seems like that player right now. It actually makes me hope he leaves egg on the faces of his naysayers. I'm not saying I'm leading his cheer squad. But the amount of criticism directed at him is over the top considering the whole team is out there contributing to the losses. He's probably not even on a huge salary. I don't see our marquee forwards (Jackson and Napa) doing a lot more to break games open. Those two should be leading from the front. It's been a hard season to watch as a fan. But he's not responsible for every poor result. He's spoken about like he's lacing the water bottles with sedatives.
I believe the targeted hate is a result of the favoritism that Pay clearly shows towards him, when better plays have been dropped for far lesser things.. Also most people have probably been on the wrong end of favoritism at some stage of their life, whether it be in sport, the work place or family relationships.. this probably adds to the hatred.. that's me just psychoanalyzing things LOL..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What some fail to recognise is that players get demoted for reasons other than their personal game form. The coaching staff and the players' leadership group both have the power to institute disciplinary actions against a player for any number of breaches of their codes of conduct. These are not often made public, so it's ever so easy for us to unknowingly question why a player was demoted when their playing form seems to not warrant it. Those questioning why X player gets picked over Y player should look beyond the simplistic "he's playing better" reasoning and consider that it may well be due to disciplinary actions. Not necessarily by the coaching staff, either.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I believe the targeted hate is a result of the favoritism that Pay clearly shows towards him, when better plays have been dropped for far lesser things.. Also most people have probably been on the wrong end of favoritism at some stage of their life, whether it be in sport, the work place or family relationships.. this probably adds to the hatred.. that's me just psychoanalyzing things LOL..
Fans just want all our players to get a fair go and the best team put on the field. No politics, or coach favourites. Just get the best out of the roster.

We are loosing badly and have better players dropped. It's as simple as that.

I think the hate speak is over the top at times but most of our players who haven't performed have had their share of bagging.

Montoya, Foran, Cogger, Tolman. This week its Elliott. Next week it will be ????

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay isn't the first coach that has rated Elliott. He's definitely got an error or two in his game. But he's not a player that is noticeably absent when the game is gone. He keeps trying throughout which some tend not to. Perhaps he gets selected in the hope that his attitude will rub off on others.

A couple of weeks ago CHN was blasted by the team for taking a back seat. So perhaps he was dropped for showing a defeatist attitude. Unless you are around the team a lot it's difficult to know what reasoning has caused his demotion. It's up to him to demand selection. Whether it's by just looking like he buys into the coaches ideas or putting in the extra work at training I don't know. But if it's an attitude thing he has the responsibility to change it. Plenty of talented players have failed because they don't have any work ethic.

I really don't know what happens behind the scenes with the team. So I can't really comment about why both Pay and Hasler favoured Elliott. But I guess that they're rewarding the effort he puts in. He's definitely not as poor as a lot of people make out. He's not a game breaker, but we have precious few of them in our roster. And if those few are willing to give up when things look bad I'll take a less talented player that doesn't give up any time.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CHN, Ogden and Toomanga
CHN and Ogden are always considered and are in the selection discussion. T'oomaga is out injured apparently. If the kennelers want people dropped because of poor performances, Jackson must be near the top of the list.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elliott simply lacks the strength, speed and skill to be in first grade. 65 games is more then enough to show this... we have all seen other clubs blood young backrowers this year with oodles more to offer

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it’s because he has a decent crack last year and the coaching staff are hoping he gets back to that?

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elliot loves the club to bits.. the players like him also... wont bag him out ever..

Like its been said selection is up to Pay..