News ‘We’ve got Nick’: Dogs coach casts doubt over star signing’s position

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds ideal... Even better Pay gives Harper a shot, kids a natural, we sell Hoppa to the highest bidder and utilise that mullah to get a real hooker!
Just need to wait for Hoppa to have a good game before offering him out. It has to happen eventually

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My opinion is fullbacks show their tryscoring ability young.. Ponga, Slater, RTS, Tedesco, Barba, Tom Turbo, Brett stewart, Minichiello, etc all showed their try scoring and line breaking ability from early on..

Its other parts of the game that can develop with time and experience, Defence, passing , organising..

I really think Meaney needs time in lower grades to prove himself.. if he does well there then hes earnt his FG spot.. He hasnt dominated reserves yet hes thrown into FG and expected to do something hes never shown he can do - attack break the line and score trys..

At the moment hes had 16 games in FG this year & last year and struggled in attack..

Catching kicks and kick returns arent enough for FG level fullback..

Pay took a gamble, nothing wrong with that, but time to do the right thing and accept he isnt up to FG yet..

Our last 2 experienced coaches like Folksey Des never or rarely brang up players before they were ready for FG..

Folkes eased them in and you hate Des (he made mistakes) but he brang up Klemmer and Finucane and Jackson etc at the right time in their development, he gave Brad Abbey a couple of games at Fullback and decided he wasnt up 2it which was correct..

Pay has been overly patient for FG level rugby league..

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I agree that the most obvious position was to replace Montoya at Centre. But not sure between Chricton or Monty for Wing. But Hopefullly Okenbor will come onto the wing in a few weeks and it won't matter.

if Meaney starts to show further development in his attack maybe that's how it'll stay. otherwise Dallin to fullback and Harper into the centres.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just need to wait for Hoppa to have a good game before offering him out. It has to happen eventually
Best way to send someone out is to throw them in reggies with the for sale tag... Hoppa would look like good value in reggies.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
We get the captain and fullback of the Kiwis and we make him play centre because our fullback is better than him? Wtf how do you justify that? Our great attacking fullback who has had numerous games to prove himself still has less tries than the great plodder Tolman,the I’m good for half a game Napa and I play every 3rd week Sue. Dean Pay must have got advice off his unicorn.....

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Meaneys not a firstgrader atm. Needs to bulk up

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m happy with dwz at centre, hopefully it stiffens up that leafy defence, because it’s pathetic
I think we’re better as a team with him there and Meaney at fullback
Rather than Montoya at centre n Meaney out of team
Not saying Meaney a better fullback but his a less weakness than Montoya at centre

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney is a mediocre fullback who is overhyped here. He offers next to nothing in attack. DWZ should be our fullback for this season on.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m happy with dwz at centre, hopefully it stiffens up that leafy defence, because it’s pathetic
I think we’re better as a team with him there and Meaney at fullback
Rather than Montoya at centre n Meaney out of team
Not saying Meaney a better fullback but his a less weakness than Montoya at centre
I think it’s a good thing too. Meaney knows he will have to perform as we have a replacement but we have also shown faith in him and given him a chance to keep his spot. The ball is in Meaney’s court.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney is the least of our issues

But Elliott FFS