News ‘We’ve got Nick’: Dogs coach casts doubt over star signing’s position

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/0770c403447cb6c45143cb547fec7536

The bottom-placed Bulldogs have significantly boosted their playing stocks with the shock signing of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, but coach Dean Pay now faces a conundrum over who will wear the No. 1 jersey for the club.
DWZ joined Canterbury on an 18-month deal after being granted a release from Penrith, unhappy he wasn’t a consistent starter in the fullback role for the Panthers.

But Watene-Zelezniak now faces a tough task to beat out current fullback Nick Meaney for his preferred jersey, with the youngster a shining light in a difficult season for the Dogs.

DWZ lands at the Bulldogs

Meaney was arguably Canterbury’s best in their 36-12 defeat to the Dragons on Sunday, running for 142 metres and making a very strong case to retain his role.

The fullback also leads the club with 27 tackle breaks this season, and is their first-choice kicker with a 75 per cent conversion rate for the year.

Dean Pay refused to reveal his plan on where to play DWZ when the Dogs face the Roosters next Sunday, as they seek to turn around a horror run of four losses from their last five NRL games.

“I spoke to (Dallin) about how we’ve got Nick here. He understood that,” Pay said.

“I said, ‘When you start here, it’ll be the best man for the job and that’s how we’ll determine where you play’.

“We’ll make that decision during the week. I’ve got something in my head but it could change during the week.”

Canterbury boss Andrew Hill said “The coach (Dean Pay) and Dallin have had lots of conversations about where he’ll play.”

“Dallin has wonderful ability to play a number of positions. Fullback and centre are his preferred spots.”

But NRL great Peter Sterling doesn’t agree that those positions are best-suited to DWZ’s abilities.

“Nick Meaney wouldn’t be overly [happy] — he’s been really good for them this year,” Sterling said on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show.

“I don’t think Dallin is a fullback anyway. I think he’s a winger, to be honest.”

For now at least, it seems the No. 1 jersey is Meaney’s to lose.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its a bit left field but maybe try Meaney on the bench in a Papenhuyzen type role?

It will toughen him up a bit and he can just follow the ball.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DWZ straight to fullback please! He has speed an power bringing the mall back. Will get us those much needed metres, AND can break a tackle or two.. it has to be him in the no1 next game..!!

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
although Meaney has been solid at the back, he still hasn't scored a try yet. we really need to lift the 12 pts per game average. DWZ is a stronger runner of the ball and gives more X-factor. put him there and let meaney bide his time on the wing.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
“I said, ‘When you start here, it’ll be the best man for the job and that’s how we’ll determine where you play’.
I can just see the conversation going something like this

Pay: "so, dallin here's the game plan, I need you to get the ball and just do everything yourself, hit it up, play the ball, and score every try because you're tough, just like me"
Dwz: "ahhh OK, where will I play"?
Pay: " don't worry about that, just go out there and be you, your spot will sort itself out"

Welcome dwz, our new prop

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
“I’ve got something in my head but it could change during the week”

That’s a scary scenario right there...

You need a plan and stick to it, stop fucking round with these bullshit changes week in/week out.

DWZ fullback or centre, if at centre, drop Montoya, if DWZ at fullback, drop or move Meaney.

I doubt he’s going to see too much at training in a few sessions for things to change too dramatically anyway ffs.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney has been good and safe under the high ball. But he offers SFA in attack. Doesn’t get involved. Doesn’t follow the play in support. Needs to do more in attack.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
“I’ve got something in my head but it could change during the week”

That’s a scary scenario right there...

You need a plan and stick to it, stop fucking round with these bullshit changes week in/week out.

DWZ fullback or centre, if at centre, drop Montoya, if DWZ at fullback, drop or move Meaney.

I doubt he’s going to see too much at training in a few sessions for things to change too dramatically anyway ffs.
Pay doesn't have a plan he has a few thoughts and hopes for the best.

If he had a plan he would have confidence in it and not sway from it and have us playing a style that he believes in 100% and is committed to.

You watch DWZ play every position in the back line over the next few weeks.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The ideal scenario is that DWZ makes centre his spot, Meaney improves at fullback ,Okunbor comes back and nails down the wing and we recruit another centre to replace Hoppa.... unfortunately I don't see the ideal scenario happening for us lol

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney has been good and safe under the high ball. But he offers SFA in attack. Doesn’t get involved. Doesn’t follow the play in support. Needs to do more in attack.
I'm no professional footy player but played a lot of fullback throughout my years of playing and honestly it's not a hard concept to follow the play in support, float out the back of the pack waiting to run onto an offload when it appears. My coaches would tell me to stick with the big boys when they were hitting it up. Back when I was playing I would try and emulate The General's style of footy on the field.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no professional footy player but played a lot of fullback throughout my years of playing and honestly it's not a hard concept to follow the play in support, float out the back of the pack waiting to run onto an offload when it appears. Back when I was playing I would try and emulate The General's style of footy on the field.
Yeah you’d think it’s a simple thing. Just follow the ball.

Could he also be contributing to our backs getting caught out? Not counting players and causing players to get caught out? Case in point the 2nd try yesterday? Or are players not listening to him?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ideal scenario is that DWZ makes centre his spot, Meaney improves at fullback ,Okunbor comes back and nails down the wing and we recruit another centre to replace Hoppa.... unfortunately I don't see the ideal scenario happening for us lol
DWZ's lack of ball playing is a worry for mine so I'd much rather see him at centre in the long term. No doubt Pay will over complicate it and still manage to get Montoya in there somewhere.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah you’d think it’s a simple thing. Just follow the ball.

Could he also be contributing to our backs getting caught out? Not counting players and causing players to get caught out? Case in point the 2nd try yesterday? Or are players not listening to him?
Not sure exactly what it is. Could be a lack of communicating or players just not listening to each other.

In attack or defense as a fullback I was always told to follow the ball and watch for the kicks to set myself up. Simple game plan really it wasn't rocket science.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm no professional footy player but played a lot of fullback throughout my years of playing and honestly it's not a hard concept to follow the play in support, float out the back of the pack waiting to run onto an offload when it appears. My coaches would tell me to stick with the big boys when they were hitting it up. Back when I was playing I would try and emulate The General's style of footy on the field.
What’s frustrating is the fans see it so why aren’t the coaches coaching this into him. Are they giving him other directions ?
I actually thought Meaney played well yesterday considering how shit we were. He ran it harder then usual. How bad was Montoya though.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
27 line breaks by Nick meaney this year? Struggle to remember past a mere hand full.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

You looking for a contract?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I agree 100% with Sterlo that DWZ is a winger. Meaneys attack will come, I'm more concerned with his defensive efforts like the attempt on Pearson yesterday