Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just curious why we are in this mess from back ending contracts? Three years missing finals probably next year too.

People say he did it to Manly too, but they didn't miss finals three years running. They've actually had TWO shit years since he left them and one year where injury made them miss the finals.

So why is it we just crumble and say "we have to wait to 2021 before we will be good"
I think it comes down to the players Manly had left compared to us. They still had a rep standard fullback, half and lock. It’s alot easier to build a team around that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Following the sacking of Kevin we did get the best coach available and he only did Ok by backending player contracts ie. having a Roster worth a few million more than the cap, in other words borrowing against future years cap.
NOW THAT'S WHY WE ARE IN THE MESS WE ARE IN RIGHT NOW.
By the way i do agree that pay was resigned in haste with the hope of attracting players , just like Des was given 2 more years for the same reason then sacked in the same year.
Sorry piggy meant to reply to Squash the berries.
This is what I can not understand with the so called need for back ended contracts.

Des signed in November 2011.

2012 Signings

Gains: James Graham (St Helens), Luke MacDougall (rugby union)

Losses: Andrew Ryan, Michael Hodgson (both retired), Jamal Idris (Gold Coast), Ben Roberts (Parramatta), Chris Armit (Penrith)

Des Hasler Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles – Head Coach

Noel Cleal Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles – Recruitment Manager

James Graham ESL – St. Helens

James Gavet – Vulcans NSW Cup

Luke MacDougall – Saracens

Sione Kite – Melbourne Storm

Re-signed

David Stagg till 2012

Jake Foster till 2013

Corey Payne till 2013

Josh Morris till 2014

Michael Ennis till 2014

Ben Barba till 2015

Steve Turner till 2012

Bryson Goodwin till 2012

Tim Browne till 2013

Joel Romelo till 2012

Michael Lett till 2012

Transfers/leaving

Jarrad Hickey – Mid-Season – Wakefield Trinity Wildcats ESL

Jamal Idris – Gold Coast Titans

Ben Roberts – Parramatta Eels

Michael Hodgson – Retired

Gary Warburton- Celtic Crusaders, ESL

Andrew Ryan – Retired

Chris Armit – Penrith Panthers

Brad Morrin – Retired

Junior Tia-Kilifi – Penrith Panthers

Mickey Paea – Hull Kingston Rover

2013 Signings
Gains: Krisnan Inu (mid-season, Warriors), Sam Perrett (mid-season, Roosters), Drury Low (Raiders), Tony Williams, Junior Palau (Sea Eagles)

Losses: David Stagg (Broncos), Jake Foster (Raiders), James Gavet (Tigers), Bryson Goodwin (Rabbitohs), Luke MacDougall, Corey Payne (retired), Tupou Sopoaga, Jonathan Wright (Cronulla Sharks)

2014 Gains: Damien Cook (Dragons), Reni Maitua (Eels), Pat O'Hanlon (Eels), Chase Stanley (Dragons), Tyrone Phillips (Rabbitohs), Kayne Brennan (Dragons).
Losses: Ben Barba (Broncos), Danny Galea (Widnes), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Kris Keating (Hull FC), Martin Taupau (Wests Tigers)

Gains
Michael Lichaa (Sharks)
Curtis Rona (Cowboys)
Brett Morris (Dragons)
Jarrod McInally (Easts Tigers)
Jacob Loko (Eels)
Antonio Kaufusi (Huddersfield, ESL)
Matt Frawley (Raiders)
Losses
Michael Ennis (Sharks)
Mitch Brown (Sharks)
Reni Maitua (Featherstone Rovers)
Krisnan Inu (French rugby)
Lachlan Burr (Titans)
John Sila (Tigers)
Dale Finucane (Storm)
Drury Low (Released)
Tom Murphy (Q Cup)
Pat Templeman (Q Cup)

Ins: Zac Woolford (Raiders), Josh Cleeland (Sharks), Rhyse Martin (Townsville Blackhawks), Brenko Lee (Raiders), Tom Carr (Dragons), Francis Tualau (Storm), Richard Kennar (Storm)

Outs: Dane Chisholm (mid-season, Bradford), Lindon McGrady (mid-season, Wentworthville), Pat O'Hanlon (retired), Sam Perrett (retirement), Curtis Rona (rugby union, Western Force), Tim Browne (Panthers), Tony Williams (Sharks), Richard Coorey (released), Makahesi Makatoa (Raiders), Jarrod McInally (Queensland Intrust Super Cup), Graham Clark (released), Jake Kamire (released), Reubenn Rennie (released), Lamar Liolevave (released), Brad Keighran (released, mid-season).

During the 2017 season the first reporting of our alleged
severe salary cap trouble and the departing players were :

Josh Reynolds (Wests Tigers)
Sam Kasiano (Melbourne Storm)
Michael Lichaa (Released)
Tyrone Phillips (Released)
Craig Garvey (Released)

2018 the shopping of players excellerated.

Go through the Gains (no super stars) and the corresponding Losses (which are close to like for like) for the past 5 years.

Explain why we even needed back ended contracts...the roster has never warranted it.

By comparison to at least 7?, probably more, other top teams' rosters, we have not had the spine or x factor players to even get close to getting value for money from our salary cap *shakes head at what the hells gone wrong*

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are better football brains out there then Pay. No experienced coaches as such but definitely more brains. I would have to think Walters would jump ship from Qld for a Permanent NRL gig. Btw I wouldn’t suggest him as my first pick but one example.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should look at players signed by the old board for back ended contracts, not saying that all these could be on back-ended contracts.
Jackson, Tolman, Foran, Hoppa, R Smith, RFM, Fualalo, Elliot.

Dexter35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Source is hot and fiery.

The contract extension is based on performance clauses for this year. If the club decided to terminate Pay's contract at the end of this year in line with the performance clauses, the club would not have to pay him out (2020 salary)

They are chasing after a new coach. I do not know which coach though.

As i have been made aware of Pay's contract clause only last week, my theory is that the club is after a coach who needs permission to come back in. Now whether he is allowed back, and whether it is in 2020 or 2021, that will decide Pay's future.

Pay was re-signed for only 1 year to stop the vultures (media) from hammering the club after only a few weeks and derailing our season (not that the derailing mattered now). Though, as mentioned there are performance clauses and i think they will not be met.
@G_Dog_Rota wheres Buzz at?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ signing may be a hint to us getting Griffin...

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean pay can get fucked for playing chn in reserves and leaving elliot and Smith in first grade fuck off ****

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
“We will never sign a decent player while Pay’s the coach”, who is this DWZ guy? How come his contract aligns with Pay’s? He is obviously happy to play under Pay for 18 months. Does he want to know who the coach will be before he extends?

Go Dogs

WolfmanAmadeus

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
“We will never sign a decent player while Pay’s the coach”, who is this DWZ guy? How come his contract aligns with Pay’s? He is obviously happy to play under Pay for 18 months. Does he want to know who the coach will be before he extends?

Go Dogs
Pay will be gone in 3 weeks. ;)

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dean,

Can we please keep CHN in reserves and continue with Elliott , Fatalolo and the other potatoes??

The problem isnt even our shit squad anymore. This fraud is killing the club

ibby

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need to make a lot of noise he has to go

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proudly brought to you by -

*bRinGiNg bAcK ThE mADneSs*

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was happy to give dean Pay the benefit of the doubt for so long, but enough is enough. Idiotic selections aside, we are absolutely atrocious, both in attack and defence, and have shown NIL improvement since last year. There is no way after all these drubbings, that the players have any confidence in him. Everybody is just going through the motions, and its sad to see. Dean needs to fall on his own sword, and resign.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he has lost the dressing room then he will get turfed but otherwise they will persist. No coach would want a roster like the one we have so I dont really expect Pay to be moved on until they have a coach with credentials organized for the 2021 season.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today did it for me. Pay should resign. The team is going backwards. Pay said he would put the bite and fight back into the dogs. He has failed to deliver. By his own measure he is found wanting. Like Jason Taylor and Jim Dymock, Pay’s level of competence finishes as an assistance. Doesn’t,t hav

Status
Not open for further replies.