Controversy Corner - Grahame Hughes on Dean Pay and whats going on

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are paying for Mbye, (3 years) Woods (3 years) and Graham ( 1 year) still. At least 250,000 each per year. Morris's wanted to win a Premiership, so they left for less money.
So we are stuffed for at least another season. No way any player will come for Pay. Not now they have seen his lack of ideas and skills.
So Toronto Raptors it is lol

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran takes up $1.3m in 2020. Jackson, Tolman, Hopoate are backended at 900k each for 2020.

That leaves you about $5.5m for 26 players which is an average of about $211k per player.

I think we are all missing the biggest point, and that is, we have Sweet Fark All in 3rd party sponsorships.
There needs to be markers in place for such high salaries, such as the half back needs to perform so many kick returns per season or cross kicks, the centre needs to have scored so many tries and the forward should be making x metre's.. They definitely don't deserve their salaries. I'm so glad I'm no longer contributing to their income

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone saw the Controversy Corner episode this evening.

Grahame Hughes talks about Dean Pay, our Cap situation and how Klemmer wanted to leave for more cash.

Thank Foxtel I.Q for the rewind feature.

Took an age to upload and i aint sure about the quality, but its better than nothing.

After watching and listening to Hughes, it sounds like next year is going to be worse than this year and God knows how that is possible.

I put it out there early this year,we have released almost $7 million in players over the last 18 months,and the only player we are paying for at the moment is $200k to the tigers,it's all an illusion,unless Tolman and Jackson are earning overs

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is more to it. Hughes is more passionate and would be barking back at everyone but he knows deep down they are screwed. The squad won’t change next year but a valid point will be signing a new coach for next year to build his squad and get some signings. How can we sign anyone next year when no 1 knows who the coach will be for 2021.
Media man has seen the books, unlikely especially someone that works with rothfield.?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling players like Tolman, Jacko, Hoppa and Foran are on close to $1 mill a year
If they are they should be giving half back to charity,on current form hoppa worth around400k,

Reactions: JRC

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If they are they should be giving half back to charity,on current form hoppa worth around400k,
They aren’t worth that money though that’s why we are fucked. We have been paying them peanuts for the last few seasons and it’s time for us to cough up the money we owe them.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Napa at 700K was a bad choice by Pay?.. what about 300K for Meaney & 280K for Cogger as per members forum chat..
Add Crichton &sue and u have a 2mill spend,we have released over 7 mill worth of players,and the only player we are paying at other clubs is 200k for mbye which has only this year left,none of this adds up

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are paying for Mbye, (3 years) Woods (3 years) and Graham ( 1 year) still. At least 250,000 each per year. Morris's wanted to win a Premiership, so they left for less money.
So we are stuffed for at least another season. No way any player will come for Pay. Not now they have seen his lack of ideas and skills.
Grahams contract ended last year with us champ. I dont think mbye is 3 years i think its 2 years now. But graham is definitely off the books

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are still paying a million dollars and I wanna see a million dollars worth of football played.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I bet Parra don't class him as a former great.

Pay was named in the Parramatta Team of the Century.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't there three other clubs also pushing hard for a $10m salary cap? It wasn't just Dib. But you are right that he fucked up big time counting his chickens.
The difference between a $9.6m salary cap, what we ended up with, and a $10m salary cap, what Dib wanted, is $400k, which is not not enough to buy one decent player. It's an irrelevancy.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How many times, FFS .................
Graham was off contract in 2018, so it's impossible for us to be paying him this year.
Mbye's 3 year Bulldogs contract was for 2018, 2019 and 2020 so it impossible for us to have to subsidise him for 3 years. It was widely reported to be $175k, who knows whether that's true or not.
Woods is more complex, my understanding is that the subsidy to Cronulla was for 2018 only, which was one of Woods' wishes, he took a pay cut to avoid future years. It was one of the terms Cronulla agreed to to get him immediately as they were desperate.
Mozzies wanted 2 year contracts, we offered 1 year. They are getting paid more for 2 years than we offered for 1 year, that's not "less money".

Go Dogs

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree.

Toovey is switched on and you can tell that he is edging to get back out there.

Around Toovey you throw a support staff/team like Kimmorley, Ennis and the likes

btw who the fuk is our wrestling coach? Our wrestling is getting worse each year
Toovey is a Des clone and I'd rather have my balls scrubbed with a steel brush than have him as coach.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Proves that Hughes talks absolute shit and can't be believed.

Hughes to Rothfield: "You aren't listening, the roster isn't changing they have no money!"

*days later Dogs announce signing Stimson for 3 years*

So we do have money and the roster has changed, proving Hughes doesn't have the foggiest clue what he's talking about.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Proves that Hughes talks absolute shit and can't be believed.

Hughes to Rothfield: "You aren't listening, the roster isn't changing they have no money!"

*days later Dogs announce signing Stimson for 3 years*

So we do have money and the roster has changed, proving Hughes doesn't have the foggiest clue what he's talking about.
I don’t think anyone thinks Hughes means the roster will stay exactly the same! It just can’t be changed in any meaningful way like having money for a marquee player.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm with Toov's, where's the cash? I will never believe in a zillion years we are that fuked now Cap wise after letting those blokes go. I've said it before, I think players are saying no to the club and they don't want anyone to know.
Now ain't that the truth .......OUCH:(