canterbury bulldogs board

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah that is correct every single one of the companies listed there sponsor the club.
So back to post earlier by Trafford 10 which Turbo stuffed up :grinning: ..."tpa's are dead"....where are our tpa's :grinning:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a real stench around our club, for a long time now I believed that it started as a result of the SL war ( for those us with a memory) Bullfrog had a massive falling out with Quale from the Rotters, some how Packer got involved on the Rotters board, sure he left later but Politis played his cards well Gyngel joined the Rooters board and Ch9 became our enemy.
Our club voted for the rabbits to be re admitted in the comp and as a result News LTD, also became our enemy.
Only an idiot would ignore the fact that your enemy will always hate you and will never do you any favors.
Some of the trash in our society have decided to brand us as a Muslim club, and have found plenty of ammunition with the recent terrorists scare.
SUMMARY: All the above are facts which are hurting our club from the outside.
The recent elections has exposed the ill feeling between the two groups wanting control of the club, rumors of dirty tricks were rife, true or not it may be possible that these dirty tricks might still be in play, causing the current board to make panic decisions just like the old board did.
SUMMARY: We may not know if this is true or not, until close to the next scheduled elections.
We don't know if Pay was only appointed because no other coach wanted the job, but I believe that it would be easier to sign players having a stable coach (even a poor one) than not having one,
For what ever reason we can't seem to attract top players, is it Pay, is it poor on field performance, is it the stigma put on our club in the past, or the demographics of the population in the are (re all wogs), whatever the reason it must be faced.
As Andrew Carnegie once wrote a problem well stated is a problem half solved, I have found that if you state any problem very clearly most times it will be completely solved.
I'll continue to back the current board, I just hope they realize that their is more than one way to skin a cat. I don't think our club is a financial basket case.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Good information, but we are every low compared to the other clubs right, last or 2nd last?
I haven't seen any numbers for 2019, last published was 2018. Aside from the one team cities (Melbourne & Brisbane) TPA's weren't substantial. Of course that's reported TPA's, who knows what the real numbers are.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So back to post earlier by Trafford 10 which Turbo stuffed up :grinning: ..."tpa's are dead"....where are our tpa's :grinning:
It's something we need to sort out very quickly. If we had TPA's we wouldn't be in this current mess.

It's at the point now where its basically impossible to win the comp without any TPA's.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
For what ever reason we can't seem to attract top players
Salary Cap space, if players keep reading day after day that we have no space then they are hardly going to be attracted, especially when what is reported has been confirmed by the Club, many times.

I'll continue to back the current board, I just hope they realize that their is more than one way to skin a cat. I don't think our club is a financial basket case.
We have one of if not the most profitable Leagues clubs, so finances are not going to ever be an issue (unless that changes of course).

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's something we need to sort out very quickly. If we had TPA's we wouldn't be in this current mess.
It's at the point now where its basically impossible to win the comp without any TPA's.

The Chooks reported TPA's of $200k last year and they won the comp. Of course no one really believes that, but Brisbane and Melbourne being one team cities have the biggest advantage.

Go DOgs

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The players' salary cap is currently $9.6m and the football club/coaching/medical staff salary cap is $5.7m. Hasler was paid out in 2017, before the football club/coaching/medical staff salary cap came into effect. The player salary cap is a hard number, exceeding it draws penalties, loss of points, fines disqualification etc. The football club/coaching/medical staff salary cap is a "soft cap" if you spend more than the limit the NRL "taxes" you 37.5% of the amount you exceed the $5.7m by.

Go Dogs
Thanks for that mate, much appreciated

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The players' salary cap is currently $9.6m and the football club/coaching/medical staff salary cap is $5.7m. Hasler was paid out in 2017, before the football club/coaching/medical staff salary cap came into effect. The player salary cap is a hard number, exceeding it draws penalties, loss of points, fines disqualification etc. The football club/coaching/medical staff salary cap is a "soft cap" if you spend more than the limit the NRL "taxes" you 37.5% of the amount you exceed the $5.7m by.

Go Dogs

And since we are a rich club, we should break the "Soft Cap", pay the tax and give Bellemy $5 Million a season....case closed.
What the heck, give him half of Collins St, Bridge Rd and Gladstone st. Make sure he's at the Bulldogs until he turns 80.
Hire him a Jet as well, so that he can fly anywhere he wants around the world, him and his family.
Buy him a mansion at Vaucluse with his own maid and butler.

C'mon dogs, don't be tight, we know you can afford it.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And since we are a rich club, we should break the "Soft Cap", pay the tax and give Bellemy $5 Million a season....case closed.
What the heck, give him half of Collins St, Bridge Rd and Gladstone st. Make sure he's at the Bulldogs until he turns 80.
Hire him a Jet as well, so that he can fly anywhere he wants around the world, him and his family.
Buy him a mansion at Vaucluse with his own maid and butler.

C'mon dogs, don't be tight, we know you can afford it.
Your 100% correct,we are a big money club and should have a top flight coach
That will make the world of difference to how we play,good structure,
Bringing on the skills of young players,recruitment
Really I could go on and on,it’s a big deal
Build him a private airstrip for his jet in Belmore

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

The Chooks reported TPA's of $200k last year and they won the comp. Of course no one really believes that, but Brisbane and Melbourne being one team cities have the biggest advantage.

Go DOgs
Maybe that graph was incorrectly labelled and should be "how much outside the cap marquee players partners/family are paid by our club board/sponsors".

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
im tired of hearing the club is in the great bullfrogs daughters hands and her control, huge huge difference was bullfrog knew and had a great understanding of the game and what it takes to win, lyn and her board are clueless, they have nothing offer nothing and have delivered nothing...being the family club and culture means shit when its detrimental to the club and teams performance, its time for major changes ant the club to be run with our immediate success as the goal, not 5 years down the track and still struggling to win 6 games a season
nothing more than tokenism. some very bad decisions being made at the club. paying for an ex coach..ex players..releasing players mid season. the Belmore swamp needs draining.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole board should be sacked we need a fresh new start and ppl that are real business minded to do the job football is a business now ,not 1980s fossils the andersons they should make way for a new change they don’t have a clue about running a real business and hill is there puppet nowhere to be seen he does what they tell him to do he’s got no balls enough of this shit . Other wise nothing is going to change .Pay and the Andersons are just filling up there pockets for retirement .

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a hunch that the board is building a war chest for the future, for hopefully for 2021, signing a one off player no matter how good is very difficult because they all know that one player is not going to make much difference.
Talking to a player and mentioning that a number of others are coming is going to make it more appealing, added to that the club is at least trying to develop some good juniors, this should also make it more attractive to come to play for our club.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is my opinion (and only an opinion), that the board offered pay an incentive type extension.
Meaning that there would be certain results driven markers to achieve in order to activate his 3rd year extension.
No one would want this to be published as the media would have a frenzy on it.
But if the club then decides to cut ties with Pay, they then release the details of this incentive based trigger to explain why they aren't moving forward with Pay next year.
It is their get of jail free card.
Then they will say that it wasn't fair on Dean to release this information at the time the deal was offered as it would have brought Dean extra unnecessary external pressure and that would have been unfair to Dean as it would be an extra distraction for him trying to move forward.

As I said, these are my thoughts only.

Oldsage

Oldsage
Reaction score
when will the canterbury bulldogs board stand up and make a clear statement to the coach, the team, the staff that no ones job or position is safe, why have they not come out and said, all those players off contract are playing for their future all be it for another club, as their time here at canterbury is all but over.
let the off contract players know they are finished, make them then play for their future, let player managers know we are on the hunt for new players
I have been a Berries/Bulldog supporter since I was 12, I am now 77 this does not make me any smarter than the rest of the Kennel Forum. What I will claim however is that I'm a lot wiser because that only comes with age & mistakes on the way. What I have learned is that anyone that's in charge who keeps doing the same thing & hopes for a different result is a fool. Pay has caste his mould & his treatment of Lewis, Martin & CHN is diabolical & beyond comprehension. It is now time for the board to act & take charge of this situation & stand the head coach aside appoint the assistant coach to take over in the short term by setting him some fair dinkum KPIs then sit down in the cold heart light of November to plan a way out of this morass. If the Board allows this stupidity to continue then they are part of the problem & not the solution.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been a Berries/Bulldog supporter since I was 12, I am now 77 this does not make me any smarter than the rest of the Kennel Forum. What I will claim however is that I'm a lot wiser because that only comes with age & mistakes on the way. What I have learned is that anyone that's in charge who keeps doing the same thing & hopes for a different result is a fool. Pay has caste his mould & his treatment of Lewis, Martin & CHN is diabolical & beyond comprehension. It is now time for the board to act & take charge of this situation & stand the head coach aside appoint the assistant coach to take over in the short term by setting him some fair dinkum KPIs then sit down in the cold heart light of November to plan a way out of this morass. If the Board allows this stupidity to continue then they are part of the problem & not the solution.
As a long time supporter, I don't see anything wrong with the treatment of;

Lewis, made the same mistakes over and over, plainly didn't follow the game plan, needed time in CC to get back into form and prove that he could eradicate the errors.

Martin, discipline, it's always been Martin's issue, that's why, despite having ability, he is 26 and still a fringe NRL player. Not just the coaching staff's call, the players' leadership group has a standard that they enforce. He had focus late last year and earned his spot, this year he's let it slip, as evidenced by the dramatic drop in his goal kicking %.

CHN, perhaps this gives some insight, "Corey Harawira-Naera has revealed withering threats from his own teammates that he would be 'hooked if you don't bloody do anything'".

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pay isn't communicating with the players... that's the problem.

Players end up dropped and are barely getting 2 words from Pay as to why.

Meanwhile others who do exactly the same thing remain in first grade.

He's picking Favourites over Form and some players have had jack of it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pay isn't communicating with the players... that's the problem.

Players end up dropped and are barely getting 2 words from Pay as to why.

Meanwhile others who do exactly the same thing remain in first grade.

He's picking Favourites over Form and some players have had jack of it.
I haven't played fg league. What is the normal outcome when situations like this happen in a club. Must be relatively common with a bunch of testosterone fueled males with egos and an inexperienced new coach who can't stamp his authority.

Is the Board likely to step in ...or uphold the time honoured tradition of budding out.

Dib was crucified for getting into the players telling them to get behind Des.

We're blindly saying get rid of the problem but what is realisticly gunna happen d'ya reckon.