Opinion Montoya

stinkypinky

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree maybe pay should drop Jackson for a bit it would do him a world of good his cooked

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
At the beginning of the season I said for Monty to be a good centre he needs to add a fend and a step into his game... So far his bulked up, looking really strong, got a fend in and his agility is getting better BUT yesterday we noticed why his still raw and really a dumb centre. Things like blocking defence of a high ball and no awareness of the bat back which was telegraphed and running down the sideline getting bundled into touch when he should've dropped it back inside shows the kid still needs to learn his role.

I'll stick with the kid, for now and see if he learns.
Monty is pretty much damned regardless in that scenario.

If he contests the ball or crowds our player, guaranteed 100% ref blows a penalty against him for being a blocker. If he leaves it, well we saw what happened there.

Refs pick and choose when a defending team is facing a bomb as to if they penalise or overlook it. Far too often we get shafted contesting a high ball in defence and get penalised.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Monty is pretty much damned regardless in that scenario.

If he contests the ball or crowds our player, guaranteed 100% ref blows a penalty against him for being a blocker. If he leaves it, well we saw what happened there.

Refs pick and choose when a defending team is facing a bomb as to if they penalise or overlook it. Far too often we get shafted contesting a high ball in defence and get penalised.
No I mean he blocked well but wasn't ready for the bat back... Experienced centre would know what to do rather these little things should be taught or in the least he should learn from his mistakes. His still a work in progress and holds his spot and probably is our best centre at the club atm.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Monty has been brilliant and once he cuts out his errors could be very good

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot more confident since being promoted back into first grade.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Montoya is doing fine, least of our problems ATM. I personally think he's playing way better than Hoppa
You mean hoppa the scare crow.. no sorry, a scare crow holds its ground better.. scare crow wouldn't get rag dolled as much either..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You mean hoppa the scare crow.. no sorry, a scare crow holds its ground better.. scare crow wouldn't get rag dolled as much either..
Hoppa used to be good but ive hardly noticed him

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Montoya has improved since he has come back into fg. He looks like his bulked up a bit and his defence is a lot better than what it was. Glad his back as i was one that wanted him dropped. Good to see he was trying hard yesterday i thought with sue and crichton were the best from a bad bunch really having a go and there stint in reggies has done them good.

Last edited:

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He also had a play which cost us any chance of winning against Melbourne. After the forced offload to Smith, Napa hits Smith forcing a knock-on, scrum on the 50m line. We play shortside to Montoya who hits and spins 2-3 times, then tries to make the hero play and forces an offload which was knocked on. For the rest of the game we never had as quality field position as we could have had at that moment. Melbourne than march down field and kick a penalty goal, then another, than strangle us out of the game and it blows out.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His return to first grade has been a credit to him.
As mentioned above, he's still not a top class centre but at least he is having a crack.
More than we can say for most at the moment.

Pains me to say, but maybe give JJ a stint in reggies.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His return to first grade has been a credit to him.
As mentioned above, he's still not a top class centre but at least he is having a crack.
More than we can say for most at the moment.

Pains me to say, but maybe give JJ a stint in reggies.
Yeah his doing ok. Looks like Reggie’s has inspired a few players like Sue and Crichton as well.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder when we will see the Fijian side of him come out