Controversy Corner - Grahame Hughes on Dean Pay and whats going on

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I told you fellas last week that Pay has performance clauses, and Hughes backed that up tonight in regards to the performances.

Ben Anderson will not be coach - Guaranteed!

Dont know how this clown made this shit up, but its quiet obvious its a salty relative from Dibs side, who is still trying to further disable our club, along with leaking BS to the media. You know and I know who you are *****.

Coincides with what Hill mentioned earlier this week about the media reporting on BS stories, which has not been released directly by the club
That pretty much means Pay is gone by years end, if true.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not buying the narrative of let's write off 2020 already and there's nothing the board can do... I'm aware of the massive backended contracts and Foran etc, but no one told them to waste 500k plus on Napa that we didn't have to spend.

They can still get creative in generating space for next year. Even if the worst case scenarios are true with Tolman, Hoppa and Jackson, they could all be paid half of their salary by us and half by another club and that would generate $1.5 million in cap space...

Or the board could arrange TPA's for current or new recruits to ease the burden. They can't play this "mess we inherited" tune forever. Two years is enough, especially after releasing half the team and finishing in the bottom four both years. They have to start accepting responsibility that they knew they job they took on and could do better with what they can control....
Haha you find a club that will pay Hoppa , Tillman and Jackson 500k each and I’ll take you on a date.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Let's for a minute believe we have no cap. Even after releasing big names we have no cap . What coach would come here next year with 0 cap room and these players. We are in a bad position. We have no gun fullback no gun hooker . Foran is our best but lacks players around him to do anything. Our roster is crap and been crap since 2015. The new board don't want to over spend on name players, and why buy them now and waste 2 years of deals when.u can't put players around them. Extending pay was easy because no one would want this gig. Looks like 2021 is the year even after releasing the players. In all honesty, woods mbye klemmer graham should have saved us shit loads but these guys apart from klemmer have done sweet f/a. Morris twins should have been given 2 yrs but not on 500k but again they come off the books with Eastwood so where is the money. Someome is bull shitting.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone saw the Controversy Corner episode this evening.

Grahame Hughes talks about Dean Pay, our Cap situation and how Klemmer wanted to leave for more cash.

Thank Foxtel I.Q for the rewind feature.

Took an age to upload and i aint sure about the quality, but its better than nothing.

After watching and listening to Hughes, it sounds like next year is going to be worse than this year and God knows how that is possible.

I am just enbarssed that us fans explained to everyone else why we sacked Hasler because he lost the bulldog culture? Now we go and do this, I know our side is like the knights a few years ago but we have gotten worse. Backed him until now but dropping CHN was just a joke

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What do the current board possibly have to gain from lying about the salary cap and fielding a shit team ?? i dont get the logic in here sometimes..
Because it's easier and it makes them not accountable for what is happening right now. They can gamble on the fans blind faith that will get you through another shit season and then hit the market with stacks of cash and make the club more attractive to potential coaching options.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How much do you think Tolman & Hopoate are on?
I remember something way back saying there was a clause in their contracts that stipulate a 25% increase of their salaries if there was a cap increase. That would blokes like Tolman and Jacko who would be on 750k would be on a mil next year. Obviously I'm throwing up figures but if this is the case we need fukn clarity.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Next year will be a big improvement on this one. There is a mass clean out planned and money will be freed up.
The club has already signed Stimson and Welch from the Storm and theres more to come.
Cotrics name gets a lot of mentions in the corridors of power. That may change now hes a SOO player and will want more money.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do the current board possibly have to gain from lying about the salary cap and fielding a shit team ?? i dont get the logic in here sometimes..
Plus, clubs must spend all of their cap or they cop a big fine and it would be announced publicly that we are getting fined for not using our cap.....

Reactions: GDR

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because it's easier and it makes them not accountable for what is happening right now. They can gamble on the fans blind faith that will get you through another shit season and then hit the market with stacks of cash and make the club more attractive to potential coaching options.
your explanation makes zero sense, the club have already stated what you suggested .. they also said there will be some relief next year.. People are making up their own narratives and others are running with it, just because they are acting on emotion of another embarrasing loss.

7 players to be signed for next season the quality of those players are yet to be seen.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plus, clubs must spend all of their cap or they cop a big fine and it would be announced publicly that we are getting fined for not using our cap.....
Exactly their supposed "master plan" of having all this "imaginary money" has a massive hole in it, as you explained.. they will be ousted and fined if they have too much money left in the cap, simple ..

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly their supposed "master plan" of having all this "imaginary money" has a massive hole in it, as you explained.. they will be ousted and fined if they have too much money left in the cap, simple ..
Yep. I understand everyones frustrations but the board aren't pilfering cash as some may claim. I think most of our spare cash went to front loading a few guys who will be on massive coin next year and may give us a shot at signing an extra player or 2 later on for next year...
Also it makes sense that if we have freed up a bit of cash that we aren't out telling all the media outlets and maybe able to pinch a few players without too much noise.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
After watching and listening to Hughes, it sounds like next year is going to be worse than this year and God knows how that is possible.
Only thing worse than the spoon is the club being kicked out of the comp. That won't happen (unfortunately).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
your explanation makes zero sense, the club have already stated what you suggested .. they also said there will be some relief next year.. People are making up their own narratives and others are running with it, just because they are acting on emotion of another embarrasing loss.

7 players to be signed for next season the quality of those players are yet to be seen.
The club can front load contracts so it makes perfect sense. I don't believe the board for a second, they've been spinning shit the moment that walked in the door.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club can front load contracts so it makes perfect sense. I don't believe the board for a second, they've been spinning shit the moment that walked in the door.
and why is front loading contracts a bad thing ? it gets us out of a mess a lot sooner..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha you find a club that will pay Hoppa , Tillman and Jackson 500k each and I’ll take you on a date.
Haha. Deal. Don't forget to bring me flowers! :grinning:

Hoppa might be a harder sell but plenty of people at other will look at those players and think that a change of club will do them the world of good. Look at what happened with Josh Morris. Last year people thought he was on his last legs, this year he's playing Origin!

Jackson made Origin just a few years ago and Tolman still is one of the best defensive props in the comp with a huge motor. If Shannon Boyd, Paulo and Napa are on 500-600k a year, then Jackson and Tolman on 400-500k for one year is hardly inconceivable.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
and why is front loading contracts a bad thing ? it gets us out of a mess a lot sooner..
Not saying it is, but if we're going to play like this for another season then I'm really not that interested...I'm sure crowd numbers and memberships will also continue to fall. I'm just saying I'm convinced the board won't take accountability for this and will continue to treat the fans like idiots.