Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Griffin rebuilt Penrith.

Panthers 2011 - Elliott and Georgallis - Finished 12th
Panthers 2012 - Ivan Cleary - Finished 15th
Panthers 2013 - Ivan Cleary - Finished 10th
Panthers 2014 - Ivan Cleary - Finished 4th (KO in Prelim Finals)
Panthers 2015 - Ivan Cleary - Finished 11th
Panthers 2016 - Grifffin - Finished 6th (KO in Semi Finals)
Panthers 2017 - Grifffin - Finished 7th (KO in Semi Finals)
Panthers 2018 - Grifffin / Ciraldo - Finished 5th (KO in Semi Finals)
Panthers 2019 - Ivan Cleary - Currently 14th

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I found this on Facebook Please be true

There’s an unconfirmed rumour coming out of Belmore that Dean Pay is as good as gone by the end of the season. Despite the Dogs saying that they’ve got the coaches back and he won’t be sacked this year, he is under increasing pressure from fans and management alike. The fans are increasingly upset with the team changes, as players like Rhyse Martin and Corey Haraweira-Naera are being used very poorly. Management are also upset with his team selections, feeling that the players are starting to lose trust in their coach. The rumour states that Pay has until after the Origin series to pick things up, otherwise he will be out and the Dogs will be on the lookout for a new coach. Dogs fans, is it time for a change?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Didnt know about that, pay seems to have the same problem with player unrest
Yes so we probably don't need more of the same. I'm thinking most realistic answer is a co-coach with Pay so all parties can save face...that seems to be a priority.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des was and still is a great coach, bloke just needed a break away from the game. Pay is just flat out clueless and shit lol.
If Des was coaching now, there is no doubt we would be winning more games, because we would have a better roster with heavy back ended contracts, and in a few years time our club would be in even trouble than it is now.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes so we probably don't need more of the same. I'm thinking most realistic answer is a co-coach with Pay so all parties can save face...that seems to be a priority.
I really dont think they will move pay. They made a commitment to support him before the last election so i think his around for a bit even if we all are jumping up and down. But yeah agree with you he needs help co- coach or whatever his not performing. Lol maybe he can drop himself to reggies that seems to be his go

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Griffin rebuilt Penrith.

Good info Mr I, i thought griffin did ok at penrith but thats better than i thought.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I found this on Facebook Please be true

There’s an unconfirmed rumour coming out of Belmore that Dean Pay is as good as gone by the end of the season. Despite the Dogs saying that they’ve got the coaches back and he won’t be sacked this year, he is under increasing pressure from fans and management alike. The fans are increasingly upset with the team changes, as players like Rhyse Martin and Corey Haraweira-Naera are being used very poorly. Management are also upset with his team selections, feeling that the players are starting to lose trust in their coach. The rumour states that Pay has until after the Origin series to pick things up, otherwise he will be out and the Dogs will be on the lookout for a new coach. Dogs fans, is it time for a change?
They shouldn’t wait they should do it now

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you watched yesterday's Ccup game its so evident he knows his footy through the commentary, especially anything for the playmakers. Should be a halves coach in the least! Club is fukn clueless!!!!!
Yea 100%. He is definitely one of the smartest footy minds going around. Not sure how much the players would buy into him though.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you watched yesterday's Ccup game its so evident he knows his footy through the commentary, especially anything for the playmakers. Should be a halves coach in the least! Club is fukn clueless!!!!!
Yeah i did watch canterbury cup. BK knows what his on about. All the stuff he talks about makes sense. Club is just sitting on their hands its crazy

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Griffin rebuilt Penrith.

Griffin walked in when Penrith was built... Cleary and Gould did most of the job for him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Completely agree. I think that's the best way for all.

I really dont think they will move pay. They made a commitment to support him before the last election so i think his around for a bit even if we all are jumping up and down. But yeah agree with you he needs help co- coach or whatever his not performing. Lol maybe he can drop himself to reggies that seems to be his go
I think the most realistic thing is the board have a word in Deans ear, and have a chat to the players with Pay out of the dressing room. Get a feel for what's really going on and maybe talk to each player individually for 5 minutes if theres something they don't want to say outside the playing group.

Based on those talks, perhaps speak to Pay and come to a decision. Pay can come out and say that the current results aren't changing and that due to mental health reasons he feels he is unable to fully commit to seeing the club through the rebuild phase. He states he'll be moving back into an Asst Coach role, with Antonelli/Penna (if they are still here) being released.

Bring in someone like Griffin (working part time with Warratahs at the moment), and have your coaching lineup of:
Head Coach - Anthony Griffin
Asst Coach - Dean Pay
Asst Coach - Steve Georgallis

I feel moving forwards that would be the most sensible approach and solidify the staffing ranks, whilst making the players happy.

Crichton and CHN would already know Griffin from Panthers and be able to give club an insight how good he is as a coach.

Walkers brothers are struggling this season. Jets are mid ladder, average of 20 points for and 27 against each game.

Just a fortnight ago they copped a 62-8 hiding from Sunshine Coast Falcons (Storm feeder club - undefeated in Q Cup, coached by Eric Smith (ex Storm NYC)).

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No thanks.... I’m over the ex players experiment. I’d love for Gould to coach but that ain’t happening. I’d go for Toovey or flano. Toovey as I know he won’t take half assed performances and rips into the media about refs etc which is what we need. He basically helped manly out of the shit hole Des left them in.

Flano is another but this guy carries a lot of baggage. I love what he done at Cronulla but he also cheated a fair bit and if god forbid Canterbury doing anything like that, we would prob get kicked out of the comp!

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bellamy isn’t off contract but throw the leagues club and anything he wants to bring him down. Hands down the best coach in the comp and I’m sure if it’s about $ thAt will get him here we shouldn’t have a issue

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Completely agree. I think that's the best way for all.

I think the most realistic thing is the board have a word in Deans ear, and have a chat to the players with Pay out of the dressing room. Get a feel for what's really going on and maybe talk to each player individually for 5 minutes if theres something they don't want to say outside the playing group.

Based on those talks, perhaps speak to Pay and come to a decision. Pay can come out and say that the current results aren't changing and that due to mental health reasons he feels he is unable to fully commit to seeing the club through the rebuild phase. He states he'll be moving back into an Asst Coach role, with Antonelli/Penna (if they are still here) being released.

Bring in someone like Griffin (working part time with Warratahs at the moment), and have your coaching lineup of:
Head Coach - Anthony Griffin
Asst Coach - Dean Pay
Asst Coach - Steve Georgallis

I feel moving forwards that would be the most sensible approach and solidify the staffing ranks, whilst making the players happy.

Crichton and CHN would already know Griffin from Panthers and be able to give club an insight how good he is as a coach.

Walkers brothers are struggling this season. Jets are mid ladder, average of 20 points for and 27 against each game.

Just a fortnight ago they copped a 62-8 hiding from Sunshine Coast Falcons (Storm feeder club - undefeated in Q Cup, coached by Eric Smith (ex Storm NYC)).
Sounds good to me anything is better than the crap there dishing up

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Griffin walked in when Penrith was built... Cleary and Gould did most of the job for him.
You'd think so, but that's not the case. Most of the strike weapons Panthers now have are from Griffin buying/bringing them through the grades.

2016:
Griffin has 17 players in the side (18 if you include Katoa who didn't play NRL) from Cleary 2015 era.
Griffin has 11 players brought in himself during the season.

2019:
Cleary has 6-8 players (8 includes McKendry and Katoa) in the side that are from his 2015 era.
Cleary has 13 players brought into / through the club by Anthony Griffin.
Cleary has 7 players that may have come through ranks, or been contracted at any time (Griffin or Cleary).

upload_2019-6-2_19-25-50.png

Bellamy isn’t off contract but throw the leagues club and anything he wants to bring him down. Hands down the best coach in the comp and I’m sure if it’s about $ thAt will get him here we shouldn’t have a issue
Bellamy will pull the pin the minute that Storm appear to be on the downhill slide.

His ego won't let him coach another club where he might get found out for not being the supercoach everyone sees him as.

Same with Flanagan. Flanagan only succeeded by cheating (like Bellamy).

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1.We need a coach who is proven.
2. We need a coach who can attract marquee players.

Good start there, but pay must go first.

Kevin walters
Griffin
Holbrook
Flanagan
Etc
Plenty out there looking for a nrl start.
Kevin Walters hasn’t proven anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.