News Jack De Bellend Megathread

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...-additional-rape-charges-20190529-p51s72.html

By Shannon Tonkin
May 29, 2019 — 1.16pm

St George Illawarra Dragons rugby league star Jack de Belin will face an automatic 25 per cent discount in his sentence if he pleads guilty to rape charges, a court has heard.

De Belin and his co-accused, Shellharbour Sharks Group 7 player Callan Sinclair, stand accused of the joint rape of a woman inside de Belin's cousin's apartment in Wollongong in the early hours of December 9.

Both were arrested and charged with one count each of aggravated sexual assault in company last December.

The Illawarra Mercury revealed exclusively on Wednesday that police have since laid two additional rape charges against de Belin. An additional charge was also laid against Sinclair.

Charge sheets reveal the additional charges relate to the same alleged victim. It is understood they relate to individual acts alleged to have been committed by de Belin during the same sexual encounter that gave rise to the original charge.

Each of the three charges includes the description that de Belin was "in the company of another person" while the alleged offence was committed.

Police documents previously tendered in court revealed the two players stand accused of repeatedly raping the 19-year-old.

De Belin allegedly began having sex with the woman before inviting Sinclair to participate, saying "come on, have a go", as the woman lay on the bed, crying.

The two men first fronted court in February, when both entered pleas of not guilty.

However, during a mention of their matter in Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday morning, magistrate Michael Stoddart formally advised the pair of their entitlements to a substantial discount if they decided to plead guilty ahead of any trial date.

"If any pleas are made, it's important to note there will be a discount in relation to [sentencing]," he said.

Prosecutors told the court the five charges - three against de Belin and two against Sinclair - had now been formally certified by the Director of Public Prosecutions and both cases could now proceed to a "case conference", during which lawyers for both parties will meet to discuss the issues in dispute and make formal plea offers if practical.

"You have to make yourself available to [your lawyers] to determine whether any offers are made in relation to the charges," Mr Stoddart told both men as they stood before him in court.

De Belin's case conference will take place on June 4 and Sinclair's on June 17.

Both cases will return to court on July 24.

Last edited by a moderator:

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...-additional-rape-charges-20190529-p51s72.html

By Shannon Tonkin
May 29, 2019 — 1.16pm

St George Illawarra Dragons rugby league star Jack de Belin will face an automatic 25 per cent discount in his sentence if he pleads guilty to rape charges, a court has heard.

De Belin and his co-accused, Shellharbour Sharks Group 7 player Callan Sinclair, stand accused of the joint rape of a woman inside de Belin's cousin's apartment in Wollongong in the early hours of December 9.

Both were arrested and charged with one count each of aggravated sexual assault in company last December.

The Illawarra Mercury revealed exclusively on Wednesday that police have since laid two additional rape charges against de Belin. An additional charge was also laid against Sinclair.

Charge sheets reveal the additional charges relate to the same alleged victim. It is understood they relate to individual acts alleged to have been committed by de Belin during the same sexual encounter that gave rise to the original charge.

Each of the three charges includes the description that de Belin was "in the company of another person" while the alleged offence was committed.

Police documents previously tendered in court revealed the two players stand accused of repeatedly raping the 19-year-old.

De Belin allegedly began having sex with the woman before inviting Sinclair to participate, saying "come on, have a go", as the woman lay on the bed, crying.

The two men first fronted court in February, when both entered pleas of not guilty.

However, during a mention of their matter in Wollongong Local Court on Wednesday morning, magistrate Michael Stoddart formally advised the pair of their entitlements to a substantial discount if they decided to plead guilty ahead of any trial date.

"If any pleas are made, it's important to note there will be a discount in relation to [sentencing]," he said.

Prosecutors told the court the five charges - three against de Belin and two against Sinclair - had now been formally certified by the Director of Public Prosecutions and both cases could now proceed to a "case conference", during which lawyers for both parties will meet to discuss the issues in dispute and make formal plea offers if practical.

"You have to make yourself available to [your lawyers] to determine whether any offers are made in relation to the charges," Mr Stoddart told both men as they stood before him in court.

De Belin's case conference will take place on June 4 and Sinclair's on June 17.

Both cases will return to court on July 24.

Word is there's text messages not helping their plight right now.

He can't take any guilty plea, will be the end of his career. He has to gamble on a not guilty from a jury for any chance on playing again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I found it surprising he only had 1 charge initially. Usual process is to throw multiple charges over the same incident to ensure one sticks.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Two things:

1. What kind of guys really do sloppy seconds?
2. What kind of guys really want to fuck a woman who is upset?

A couple of footy players could easily find a woman of their own who will willingly have sex with them, surely?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Does this mean that their is enough compelling evidence to certainly convict them?.Why offer a plea bargain if it looks like the case is not watertight?In the photo that accompanied the article De Belin looks pretty unhappy...May not be looking good for Jack at all....

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once he pleads guilty, I'm sure Greenberg will write him a character reference character for taking responsibility for his action as he admitted his guilt.

It won't be long before he's playing NRL for the Broncos or Roosters.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Two things:

A couple of footy players could easily find a woman of their own who will willingly have sex with them, surely?
You missed #3.

What sort of shitbag goes out for a night on the town and has other girls travelling in a cab with them, whilst his partner remains home pregnant expecting their first (I believe) child.

Does this mean that their is enough compelling evidence to certainly convict them?.Why offer a plea bargain if it looks like the case is not watertight?In the photo that accompanied the article De Belin looks pretty unhappy...May not be looking good for Jack at all....
To me it seems like someones grassed on him, or perhaps theres evidence that's come forwards which makes the case more watertight.

They offer a plea deal, so that the case is a lot harder to take to the Appeals courts.

For example:
1 x rape charge = 20 years prison MAX. Most common sentence might be 6 years.
3 x rape charges = 60 years prison MAX if consecutively served. Most common sentence might be 18 years total.

HOWEVER if a plea deal is given of a 25% discount on other charges, and they find him guilty on all charges (I think it'll be a case of either all or none), then they could sentence as follows:
Rape Charge 1 = 6 years prison.
Rape Charge 2 = 4 years prison.
Rape Charge 3 = 4 years prison.
Less discount for charges 2 and 3 = total sentence of 12 years served concurrently, with non parole of say 8 years.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They do it to save on the cost of a trial.

It is all about money.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You missed #3.

What sort of shitbag goes out for a night on the town and has other girls travelling in a cab with them, whilst his partner remains home pregnant expecting their first (I believe) child.

To me it seems like someones grassed on him, or perhaps theres evidence that's come forwards which makes the case more watertight.

They offer a plea deal, so that the case is a lot harder to take to the Appeals courts.

For example:
1 x rape charge = 20 years prison MAX. Most common sentence might be 6 years.
3 x rape charges = 60 years prison MAX if consecutively served. Most common sentence might be 18 years total.

HOWEVER if a plea deal is given of a 25% discount on other charges, and they find him guilty on all charges (I think it'll be a case of either all or none), then they could sentence as follows:
Rape Charge 1 = 6 years prison.
Rape Charge 2 = 4 years prison.
Rape Charge 3 = 4 years prison.
Less discount for charges 2 and 3 = total sentence of 12 years served concurrently, with non parole of say 8 years.
Yikes !! From dream job, having opportunities and fame to total scum.!!
Disgusting.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Plea offers are available for every court case, even one that is 100% lock. If you know you're going to be convicted you go in plead guilty automatic 25% discount even if its a slam dunk. The reasoning for this is to save the court and public's time and money along with other cases where people might have to testify and revisit the situation they never want to relive again.

More evidence has turned up, the boys are fucked from what I've heard. The other one has a lot less to loose no one will remember him in the public if he walks the streets, if he takes a plea to save time and his own skin Jack is sunk.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two things:

I completely agree. It could also be a case of hurt pride though... Some of these guys are so used to women throwing themselves at them and taking part in gang bangs etc that if they thought this woman was "leading them on" and changed her mind or never wanted to actually have sex, that they can't handle rejection. Especially when drunk or drug fucked and in a group.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I read a post on a forum recently where someone who claimed to have some legal knowledge say that he was bemused that anyone didn't understand why JDB would be stood down as it's common practice in work places to stand down those charged with serious offences. He explained that it was obvious that you couldn't have someone working with woman after being charged with rape , it's so obvious he said.

On the surface that sounds pretty logical but trouble is it's crap. It doesn't take much thought to work out that JDB is banned from playing a game for 80 minutes a week which involves almost entirely males and has a heap of cameras on the action all the time. He is not suspended from the work place at all and is attending his training and other duties at Saints where I would assume they employ females. Where are all the dramas that are so obvious? Plenty of players have been charged and continued working at their clubs without dramas in the past and I always find it amusing on forums where punters state the bleeding obvious without any doubt at all but are just wrong.

I haven't heard anyone mention this fact at all but I've heard plenty say if he was a teacher or whatever he would be stood down but they all seem to ignore that his employer hasn't stood him down at all.

As for his guilt or otherwise, if he really did do what he is charged with doing, it is unbelievable to do this at all but at the peak of his career with a pregnant partner? I find it hard to believe at his age and after seeing the turmoil Stewart and co went thru that he could be that crazy but I suppose we will have to see what happens at the trial.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As for his guilt or otherwise, if he really did do what he is charged with doing, it is unbelievable to do this at all but at the peak of his career with a pregnant partner? I find it hard to believe at his age and after seeing the turmoil Stewart and co went thru that he could be that crazy but I suppose we will have to see what happens at the trial.
Hold up a second..

His partner was at home pregnant and expecting... meanwhile he's out partying and thinking it's perfectly okay for some random female to share a cab with them.

and then there is this gem from 2017

I think that says all you need to know about the person he is.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hold up a second..

His partner was at home pregnant and expecting... meanwhile he's out partying and thinking it's perfectly okay for some random female to share a cab with them.

and then there is this gem from 2017

I think that says all you need to know about the person he is.
Are you sure his partner wasn't happy for him to go out and party? I wouldn't have a clue myself. Sharing a cab with two other people is no big deal, it's only the alleged charges that are such a big deal, all the other stuff is largely trivia. He isn't on trial for being some sort of person without morals.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I read a post on a forum recently where someone who claimed to have some legal knowledge say that he was bemused that anyone didn't understand why JDB would be stood down as it's common practice in work places to stand down those charged with serious offences. He explained that it was obvious that you couldn't have someone working with woman after being charged with rape , it's so obvious he said.

On the surface that sounds pretty logical but trouble is it's crap. It doesn't take much thought to work out that JDB is banned from playing a game for 80 minutes a week which involves almost entirely males and has a heap of cameras on the action all the time. He is not suspended from the work place at all and is attending his training and other duties at Saints where I would assume they employ females. Where are all the dramas that are so obvious? Plenty of players have been charged and continued working at their clubs without dramas in the past and I always find it amusing on forums where punters state the bleeding obvious without any doubt at all but are just wrong.

I haven't heard anyone mention this fact at all but I've heard plenty say if he was a teacher or whatever he would be stood down but they all seem to ignore that his employer hasn't stood him down at all.

Why so hard to believe?

Obviously just thought he wouldn't get caught.

Sometimes stupid is just stupid.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Are you sure his partner wasn't happy for him to go out and party? I wouldn't have a clue myself. Sharing a cab with two other people is no big deal, it's only the alleged charges that are such a big deal, all the other stuff is largely trivia. He isn't on trial for being some sort of person without morals.
I don't know a single woman that would be happy to be pregnant (and weeks away from giving birth) and allow her partner to go out on the piss, and travel with random woman in a cab.

That video shows the sort of person he is. Looking is fine, but making it rather obvious when a camera is on you, that's not a good look.

Ironstine

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I will be interested to see how closely the story we hear now matches what we hear in court. The most serious cases in the past have been largely or completely fabricated, why not in this case?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I will be interested to see how closely the story we hear now matches what we hear in court. The most serious cases in the past have been largely or completely fabricated, why not in this case?
Up for case conference this week I believe. That is (I believe) where he'll decide his plea for other two charges, and if he wishes to take up the magistrates offer of discount for a guilty plea. Failing that it's off to court they go.

Ironically as is the George Pell appeal (5th and 6th).

and then theres State of Origin.

Big week coming up in the courts and NRL!