Lachlan Lewis

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis was making way to many tackles for a half... he looked spent by half time...

In my opinion, both Lewis and Cogger need to improve dramatically. Like others on this forum have called for, we need a halves coach, cause both have not improved under Dean Pay...
Also, whether you love or hate Cogger, he is our halfback, cause he is a Dean Pay signing...
We dont need a havles coach. We need new havles. And a new head coach.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully expect LL to be named as half later today, probably Holland back too. I have been privileged to follow our great club since mid 1960s, all the champion players since then. Imo LL shows as much potential as most of our greats, not all eg. Baa, Turvey etc. We got a glimpse of his potential last year, second year in still working on his game with the coaching staff. Last year it was noticeable that other players were more confident with him in the side, at the moment his game is still evolving but we have seen in his relatively small number of games that he can do things only very good footballers can.
He’s fucken shit!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lewis to me is a year or 2 off being a regular FG player. Hes not ready. He has more x factor than Cogger by miles, but isnt as safe as Cogger, who is pretty safe, but unlikley to set up any tries. Its a hard call right now, do we want to risk more mistakes for more x factor, or play it safe. For me Cogger in the halves is barely any different to having Mbye there. They play the same. For me right now, i might lean slightly to Lewis, just to see more life in our play, even if it comes with mistakes.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lewis to me is a year or 2 off being a regular FG player. Hes not ready. He has more x factor than Cogger by miles, but isnt as safe as Cogger, who is pretty safe, but unlikley to set up any tries. Its a hard call right now, do we want to risk more mistakes for more x factor, or play it safe. For me Cogger in the halves is barely any different to having Mbye there. They play the same. For me right now, i might lean slightly to Lewis, just to see more life in our play, even if it comes with mistakes.
How can it be a hard call when we are last? I see no reason why we can't have Cogger, Lewis, Meaney and Foran in the team. For me there are plenty in the team that have gone as far as they can in their game. If you need an example I would say JMK. The kid is okay, better than Lichaa BUT I think he has reached his potential. He has no attack and in this era a hooker with no attack is simply not good enough. If we wait "a year or two" the kid is long gone and we will be typing on here, we had Lewis, what idiot let him go? How many players are we already typing this about? Shite we have a premiership winning team playing at other clubs.

Last edited:

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dean told me I need to cut out my errors and Fix Up My Defence,” he says.

“I’ll do that and hopefully get picked back in the first-grade side.

Ok that will do me are coach has just proven that he is a fucking num skull.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
No his defence isn't the issue. It's every other part of his game.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He needs fixing, there's no doubt about it. I was willing to deal with the errors knowing he'd learn with experience.

It's not like we're winning at the moment. I really can't understand how "million dollar man" and "chip kick bomber" are any better.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lewis' defense was the only part if his game that he doesn't need work on!

Meanwhile, Jackson stays on an edge where he's become a defensive liability. But he doesn't need to work on anything clearly...

It's proven Pay is clueless and shouldn't be head coach. If only the club would wake up to this, then we could move forward.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Some people confuse "tackling" with "defence". Just because someone tackles OK doesn't mean that rest of their defence is OK. Lewis's positioning in defence often leaves his outside men exposed, also his spacing falls away during the game and leaves gaps inside.

Go Dogs

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean told me I need to cut out my errors and Fix Up My Defence,” he says.

“I’ll do that and hopefully get picked back in the first-grade side.

Ok that will do me are coach has just proven that he is a fucking num skull.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I AM DONE.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Some people confuse "tackling" with "defence". Just because someone tackles OK doesn't mean that rest of their defence is OK. Lewis's positioning in defence often leaves his outside men exposed, also his spacing falls away during the game and leaves gaps inside.

Go Dogs
Yet he doesn't get stepped around like Foran or run over like Cogger.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yet he doesn't get stepped around like Foran or run over like Cogger.
Exactly, his tacking itself is good, but maintaining his position and shape in defence is the responsibility for the whole team. Not that he's the worst at that.

Go Dogs

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Exactly, his tacking itself is good, but maintaining his position and shape in defence is the responsibility for the whole team. Not that he's the worst at that.

Go Dogs
Jackson and Cogger defending together is a horrible combination in this regard. Both guilty of bad spacing, over-chasing, coming in when they should have held etc.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would like to see someone like a Johns, Kimorley or a Brad Fittler working with our halves. Lewis is worth punting on even if its because we have limited options. I think Lewis benefited from playing beside Foran far more than Cogger did and with virtually no hope of making the semis we should use the rest of the year for these guys to learn and build combos. I know this is a cliche but Pay talked about bringing some mongrel back to the dogs, where is it?? Defense is a mental commitment and attitude.

I joked about bringing Jim Dymock in as Co-Coach with Pay, but fuck it why not?? Dymoch is far more offensive thinking coach as he showed while briefly in charge and Pay as an assistant predominately worked the forwards. If it doesn't work or Pay gets the shits and leaves... "who cares"

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A general response to various posters:

* some dislike LL's game and others think the same about JC, fair enough but we have to remember these blokes are literally still new to first grade. Imo they both show potential and they may be the halves when Foran goes. Other future options are just that, we don't know what their future holds. But LL and JC are the here and now and I would like to see both on the field in fg asap against the best oppositions

* we've been left in a shitty position with number 7's due to reasons which have been done to death, we can't expect these two to come in and manage games as well now as more experienced halves, obviously Foran is helping them but he's got plenty on his own plate.

* as regards Pay, unless anyone on here has a direct link to the dressing room we don't know how the players feel about his coaching or how they respond. I can sort of understand why the previous people appointed a former player, after the mad scientist experiment ended in tears. Would have been good to appoint an experienced and highly respected coach at that time, but that's history now. Not much of a mixture of an ordinary roster and a new coach.