Cody Walker refuses to sing national anthem at State of Origin

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Young and free ... Humans in Australia have been here for nearly 50,000 years lol
Girt by Sea ... If the word Girt represents you in anyway, well done.
Golden soil, and wealth for toil..... Is that talking about our natural resources... that's cool and all but what does that say about us?
Of Beauty rich and rare ... Every country could say the same thing.
Yeah we have been here for 50,000 and still one of the last regions in the world occupied by man...
You do know that don’t you?
Lol you gotnoth8ng hahahhahah
So tell me which bit doesn’t represent us?

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We spend over one billion dollars on indigenous health, education and housing etc etc and don't see a lot of return on the investment...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah thats ok, but I believe not correct for the access comment as where I am there is more than enough Education/Health/Sport etc etc benefits for Indigenous people and honestly moreso than any other person has access to.

A number of workplaces must have a certain % of Indigenous employed to ensure diverse wokforce.
Indigenous have access to funding to pay for Sporting/Education/Health fees among others. No need to wake up early to fundraise for Rep trips like some others.

Where it goes pear shaped, like any other race is choices made when it counts for where they want to see themselves in life, hard work or fall short.

But no use going on and on about the same as this can lead anywhere. I can respect your view and thats where it all starts, right or wrong thats the world we now live in :grinning:
Canh I ask where you are? National statistics are pretty hard to argue with mate.....just because access is good in your area doesn't mean it's indicative of the entire country......there's no doubt in my mind a number of Indigenous Australians face more challenges than the rest of us....especially those in remote communities.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah thats ok, but I believe not correct for the access comment as where I am there is more than enough Education/Health/Sport etc etc benefits for Indigenous people and honestly moreso than any other person has access to.

A number of workplaces must have a certain % of Indigenous employed to ensure diverse wokforce.
Indigenous have access to funding to pay for Sporting/Education/Health fees among others. No need to wake up early to fundraise for Rep trips like some others.

Where it goes pear shaped, like any other race is choices made when it counts for where they want to see themselves in life, hard work or fall short.

But no use going on and on about the same as this can lead anywhere. I can respect your view and thats where it all starts, right or wrong thats the world we now live in :grinning:
And as far as workplace quotas go, they gene5rally apply to entry level positions, trades and other low income jobs from what I've seen.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We spend over one billion dollars on indigenous health, education and housing etc etc and don't see a lot of return on the investment.
I think Mr Walker can sing the anthem...
Not to mention aboriginals have access to what “white man” does too
Mate I grew up in house commission area with more than half aboriginal
Let me say they don’t want to help themselves, why coz we pay em to do nothing
There not stupid, smartest race in this country by a mile
And milk it too

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canh I ask where you are? National statistics are pretty hard to argue with mate.....just because access is good in your area doesn't mean it's indicative of the entire country......there's no doubt in my mind a number of Indigenous Australians face more challenges than the rest of us....especially those in remote communities.
Best place on Earth. Queensland haha.
Thats fine as I said, respect your view. I have mine and family of mine are Indigenous. So not making it up.

Edit: Better add not trying to come off negative/racist whatever, just stating a bit of truth and what is available.
Not sure where the Statstics come from, might be same place as the Political Stats for elections??

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Western nsw
The acces out here is no different to what the “ whiteys” have access to
So can’t argue that one
I’m part aboriginal to, but don’t consider myself aboriginal because it’s such a small perctage
I have no dramas against any race, but when you don’t want to help yourself, well no one else can help you
It really is that simple
Most people who argue the point their disadvantaged live in a major city and have never set foot west
That’s the bit that shits me

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And as far as workplace quotas go, they gene5rally apply to entry level positions, trades and other low income jobs from what I've seen.
Gotta start somewhere though, I know some expect to be paid $100,000 with no experience but unfortunatley thats not how it goes haha.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no issue... if you think it is some meaningful protest, do your worst

but I do not see what benefit there is to it... Walker will simply alienate fans that have come to watch the spectacle of the best league players going at each other... and since he is on debut, you'd think he would not want to heap further pressure on himself

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gotta start somewhere though, I know some expect to be paid $100,000 with no experience but unfortunatley thats not how it goes haha.
Lol I'm not really saying they should waltz straight into cushy corporate jobs..... it's more about improving accessibility to education and increasing self esteem and belief that a combination of hard work and study could lead to better opportunities.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Best place on Earth. Queensland haha.
Thats fine as I said, respect your view. I have mine and family of mine are Indigenous. So not making it up.

Edit: Better add not trying to come off negative/racist whatever, just stating a bit of truth and what is available.
Not sure where the Statstics come from, might be same place as the Political Stats for elections??
Haha well, you can never fully trust statistics..... but I think mortality rates, health stats and stats about Indigenous people who seek higher learning are pretty hard to argue with.....not saying there' aren't issues with some needing to accept accountability.....but I think self esteem is part of that too.

No worries mate....we've talked before I think....and I always enjoy hearing your perspective.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Western nsw
The acces out here is no different to what the “ whiteys” have access to
So can’t argue that one
I’m part aboriginal to, but don’t consider myself aboriginal because it’s such a small perctage
I have no dramas against any race, but when you don’t want to help yourself, well no one else can help you
It really is that simple
Most people who argue the point their disadvantaged live in a major city and have never set foot west
That’s the bit that shits me
Yeah, I see that point....truyly I do.....I just think self esteem is a huge part of the problem....if we can improve it by changing the date of a recently devised national day of celebration, having a dialogue about the anthem or trying to encourage Indigenous kids to stay in school and consider university, I think it's worth doing.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
That division is already there though. Sweeping it under the carpet to make people more comfortable doesn't really get rid of it..... stubborn people getting over their outrage and acknowledging the basic point may do so....or at least go some way towards addressing it.
At the moment I would say the very vast vast majority of AUstralian citizens unite behind the anthem and would sing it at some form of official event like a citizenship ceremony or sporting event etc.

There is a tiny minority of lunatics who don't. and of that tiny minority i would say only a few of them have a well articulated reason for why - the others are mostly virtue signalling or playing the victim.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
this reminds me of the NFL player kneeling controversy, completely race based

trump went into alabama and explained why black nfl players should never disrespect the flag and they should be fired, and white people who fly the confederate flag cheered him
Most of the people who have issues with the anthem (in my experience) are white virtue signallers from inner city suburbs and wealthy families.

I think it has very little to do with skin colour.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a stupid thread, more than half the players dont sing shit anyway, but lets jump on the black man cause hes an abo.
Shame on u all. Spud carrol never sang the national anthem and no one gave a fuck. But when a black man wont do it, u want to remove him from the country. And people think there is no longer a racism issue in this country.
I dont understand at all why people suddenly care which players sing and which dont.
I was always that pumped i could never sing anthem before a gf. Mostly cause i was too focused.
But it was never a big deal to anyone.
Now ya all want brain destroyed football players to sing. What a mob of whingers.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I read this story this morning and thought yo myself: I wonder how long it will take for the usual to get upset. Answer was not long.

He's not exactly the first person not to sing the anthem and wont be the last.

This isnt even an event where people are representing their country... actually do NSW and QLD have state songs? That would be more interesting.
I largely agree with you. If he hadn't somehow insinuated that he was doing it for political purposes then on one (including me) would care.

But he's managed to make it into an issue (and yes I accept the journalists have chased the story), but he could have simply said no comment or ignored it and there would not have been a story.

He could potentially manage to turn State of Origin from a passionate competition between two teams who compete regardless of skin colour, politcal affiliation etc, into a political debate.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
IMO: They should only play the national anthem during test matches or on ANZAC day.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I see that point....truyly I do.....I just think self esteem is a huge part of the problem....if we can improve it by changing the date of a recently devised national day of celebration, having a dialogue about the anthem or trying to encourage Indigenous kids to stay in school and consider university, I think it's worth doing.
100%
But they won’t do anything while we give them handouts for doing nothing
We as the community are probably the worst thing for young aborig8nals to be honest
As saying goes
A hand up, not a hand out

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So singing the anthem of the country he earns his money in is selling out?

So why are snowflakes crying over Folau standing by his principles?
Wake up to yourself. Doesnt bother anyone when white fellas dont sing. The only snowflakes crying over folau are the same snowflakes crying now.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wouldnt be much of a man if he didnt sing it 4 months ago but suddenly believes differently now. He doesnt believe in the made up lines, thats his choice. Do u all believe in god cause the bible tells us too ? Exactly he can do as he fucking well pleases.