Current squad and a better coach

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good coaches would have also figured out the duds in our squad and released and replaced them..

Some of our players top 30 just dont cut it at NRL level, if the club & coach was proactive they would look at releasing and replacing them..

Salary cap is just an excuse...plenty of other up and coming players that wont break the bank..
People also forget Liccha was out the fricken door WE’D GOT RID OF HIM, then Pay stepped in....

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Addressing the elephant in the room, we would have more wins with this squad under Des.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Addressing the elephant in the room, we would have more wins with this squad under Des.
We wouldn’t have had this squad if Des was still around. He would have kept back ending contracts and kept the released players and have us winning enough games to be in finals contention but getting knocked out week 1 if we made it.

Reaction score
Pay has only done one thing since he took over make us favourites for the wooden spoon.
I haven’t seen any players really improve under his watch. But yeah all I hear is we are improving and developing and will be better in a couple weeks time.
Pay honestly makes me sick

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt mate. But like spoonman said he wouldnt have this squad and his way is not sustainable.
The rebuilding is a phase we must cross and doubt des wanted to be part of it. Dont think hes good with junior development either.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I admit right now there is a lot of emotion flying about from a lot of us, myself included. And I understand that they had to release those players to create cap space for the future. I don't have any preference for any regime, just whoever does the best job.

I hope you're right that Pay will be gone by the end of the year. Likewise, I've been spoilt that in my 36 years, we've been predominantly successful for many of those years.

I know the Andersons love the club and are good people, but the concern is, are they the ones to get us out of this mess or will they make things worse? Right now the fate of the club for the next few years hangs on a knives edge and any wrong decisions could set the club back further.

As I keep stressing, I want them to show urgency and to appreciate that things can't continue on like this for much longer. That doesn't mean making irrational decisions, but it also doesn't mean that they can ride it out for a few more years. We can't get any more rock bottom than this and the rebuild reasoning can't be used anymore as that's what the last year and a half have been...

We all want the same thing, we're all passionate and loyal and hopefully our fears are eased soon, but the pressure is on them to prove that they're the right people to turn the club around. Anyway, thanks for your post and for keeping things civil and insightful.

I think we should always be questioning our leadership or management, blind faith and not holding them to account is what got us here in the first place. If we don’t see any signings by the end of the year and if Pay is still here come preseason next year then it’s obvious that this administration does not see what we are seeing and that they are not the right people to lead us forward.

I appreciate your view on the topic and although I don’t post very often, I’m always on the Kennel and I have always thought you and a select few know your footy.

Thanks mate

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People also forget Liccha was out the fricken door WE’D GOT RID OF HIM, then Pay stepped in....
Yep Pays recruitment retention has been a disaster.. The rookie kids Cogger & Meaney are on 300K per year each.. Funny considering the media say Lattrells contract with the NRL has been officially lodged at 450K this year & next..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'd rather a better squad with the same coach than the other way around. A Bellamy + Bennett coaching team could not coach the current side to the finals. I could coach the current souths side to the finals though.

A coach is important, but if u dont have the cattle, you're fked. It's good to have a couple of juniors or fringe fg players / reserves in the side, but to have close to a full side of juniors and fringe fg players at the same time, it's a mess. We lost too much experience in a short time.

We def have to recruit well this offseason. Getting 1 key signing can lead to others. We have to throw a lot of cash at someone. We need a few good and experienced players to balance the side. Or we are fked.

I will give the coach and board and recruitment staff this year. They haven't had much time and opportunity to change much yet. 2020 will be critical for a few peoples jobs though.

Last edited:

DublinDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly. People expecting Pay to polish a turd. Its gonna be a turd at the end of the day. Get rid of the shit in the next year or two and build. Issue is I dont think Pay is a caretaker type either.
You can't polish a turd, but you can at least roll it in glitter

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
thats true, but we would still be shit and not a premiership threat... we took the painful and quicker road to recovery rather than 5+ years of doggy paddling in the ocean with Des.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you remid us of what raelene said?
She was replying to a question about why it was hard to recruit and retain players, and said that a newspaper executive told her that if his paper printed an adverse report about our club that addition would sell an extra 40,000 copies.
The truth of the matter is that our club has some mortal enemies in the game who have manager to turn players, fans and officials against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDR

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
A strong coach is what is needed.Sets goals for his players and works hard at improving skills with each player.Does not play favourites but doesn’t throw them under the bus.Commands respect thru hard work.Dean Pay is none of this.Bellamy and Bennet have taken many mediocre players and turned them around,it’s called man management and respect of your players.Anybody think this sounds like the current coach?

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bennett and Bellamy only go to coach squads that are illegally assembled or already capable.

Bennett flopped at the Knights, and soon as Cam Smith retires, Bellamy will get found out for the cheat he is.
.......Keh???? Bennett is a sour and selfish old human that left his family for the younger chicky babe, and Bellamy reminds my of the old Sydney morning herald TV add of the Judge no-one would talk to at parties because he talked shop all night. BUT...., these 2 blokes have won more and have a higher winning percentage over a very long period of time than any other coaches in the last 20 years. Melbourne keep winning football games with only Cam Smith still left (of the big 4 and he's nearly a pensioner) and have for years re-churned out footballers that were average at other clubs and but grew 2 feet taller at Melbourne. Bellamy builds winning culture and teams.

Bennett fucked Newcastle with his roster trying for the quickie premiership (just like Des did) and had he pulled it off he would be legend status in the Hunter adding to his other 7 premierships... For that matter, I wonder what the view would have been around here if we had won the comps in 12 and 14 under Dopey Des...

I'm glad Des is gone because I do believe in having one of our own as a coach even though I really am starting to believe it shouldn't be Pay.

But if some footy fairy waived a wand so old sour puss or the cheating Mexican were suddenly in charge, I would be a very happy little bulldog.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly with the current squad and coach we will not attract many players.
We need to throw the bank at a marquee player and hopefully it will begin a change where we can attract great players and coaches.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We wouldn’t have had this squad if Des was still around. He would have kept back ending contracts and kept the released players and have us winning enough games to be in finals contention but getting knocked out week 1 if we made it.
Let’s not forget that under the Hasler/Dib regime we released Sezer,Finucane, Tapau, & Cook, passed on Latrell Mitchell, Conner Watson & Cameron Munster.
Testament to the financial mess they left the Club in was the “No Thanks!” from Michael McGuire who knocked back the role (unheard of). Pay was a panic signing by Dib to try & save face.
2019 was always going to be a challenge. Several player managers I know have confirmed the salary cap mess, we will be aggressive in the player market mid 2020.
Incidentally the Anderson’s are very close to both Brett Kimmorley & Shane Flanagan. Kimmorley’s services were no longer required under Hasler in 2012. Watch this space

Last edited: