Opinion Never been as despondent over the last 45 years

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What hurts most is we don't have a go, we had two grand final teams at Belmore watching and a sold out stadium, and it wasn't enough to motivate them, for me that falls on the coach, if he had used the environment they were in as a motivation and they didn't perform he should drop most of them.....

I'm also sick of the club hiring coaches who seem to have it in for us, we smashed Des in the 95 gf, he's comeback to haunt us and then we hire Pay, and I think he's still upset with the 98 prequalifying final after we came back and smashed the eels.... can we please hire someone who we haven't smashed in the past!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the years end it will be 15 years since last premiership, the second worst drought in the clubs long history.

3 years since making the finals series, the longest drought since 1961 to 1966.

In 2019 no players for NSW and only one for Queensland who is lucky to be there on form.

In all likelihood no Australian player in 2019.

Worst attack I've seen over 45 years, same as the last 2 years.

A coach who for some reason was resigned for 2020 earlier tihis year despite the team showing no improvement.

Problems with Salary cap but I'm left scratching my head when I look at other teams rosters.

Hated by all other supporters and the Daily Telegraph.

What can be done?

This year Crichton to replace Montoya in Centre once Okunbor is back.
Lewis to replace Marshall King at hooker.

Apart from that I don't know any other options than to try out some of the other players in our top 30 squad.

Moving forward approach Kevin Walters as coach or take a gamble and approach the Walker Brothers, at least they will hopefully coach us to play exciting unorthodox attacking football once again. Dean Pay reminds me of the feeling I had when Kevin Moore was coach, we will never win with him in charge.

As soon as possible offload the following players who I suspect are on big coin at least for us. If we cant offload don't resign.
Foran
Hopoate
Tolman
Jackson (as much as it hurts he seems to have lost it).

At seasons end try to offload or don't resign when contracts are up for renewal:
Lichaa
Marshall King
Holland
Montoya
Elliott
Fualalo

Then buy the best hooker, halfback, prop and centre on the market once money is available in cap.

Also the players and coaches I've listed above are tough, talented and want to succeed as you need to be to play o rcoach in the NRL, but the game is now all about results and we need some fast!

If not I fear the possibility of being considered for relocation.
Who do you think you are? Honestly I dont believe this forum is for the kind of tripe your peddling. If you feel so strongly against the direction of the Club then run for the Board. What you suggest goes beyond opinion. Your ignorant and wrong.

Lets look at yesterdays game. Half time score was 8-0. The Storm are in the top 4. We are running last. The storms only try was due to one of their players putting illegal kick pressure on Cogger who ended up simply able to grubber the ball, getting no distance on his kick, picked up by a flying winger who had built up enough pace from broken field running to step Jackson then step Meaney to score. That and a penalty goal. The much vaunted Storm attack couldnt score. We tackled them out of it. Nor could we score as they repeatedly grappled us in tackles slowing us down preventing any momentum in our attack.

Lets go back 5 weeks. We should of beaten them. We were the better side on the day. We ran out Okunbor Holland, Lewis and Elliot that day. Martin played the whole game on an edge. 5 weeks on and Bellamy has worked us out. He grappled us out of it.

all the same, yesterday we didnt play well and we lost. We werent allowed to play well. The Storm laid on us all game such that we had no momentum in attack. The refs were attrotious. They at least pulled up 3 of the Storms 18 forward passes.

The effort was there but due to storms spoiling tactics slowing us down meant we couldnt get field position so couldnt get any repeat sets to build pressure. Our commitment and tactics were fine.

Lets move forward to next time we play.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If what Pay says is true that he considers the squad to be a young team. He will stick with them thinking they’ll come good. I just don’t see quality for that to happen. Not like the youth we brought into first grade early 2000’s
Since that time we had Greenturd come in who decided that it's no use spending money on juniors if other clubs will just poach them. That right there set us back a long long way in being competitive. It was when we had to start paying above average money for average players. That just means other clubs can poach our marquee players. FFS we reputedly had L Perrett and Abbey on 300k prior to making their debuts.

Bulldogs fans have no patience with the results this year. But I'm hopeful that the board is getting our production line healthy again. At least if we're getting a couple of inexpensive years out of the average players that we bring through it allows us to funnel money elsewhere. Success purely on the old 'bred not bought' philosophy might not be possible. But neither is just buying players a route to succeed. A few clubs definitely seem to have circumvented the salary cap. But we'd get crucified if caught up in a salary cap scandal again.

We did most of our recruitment extremely late in the season. Meaney is a good prospect. Cogger isn't a bad one and CHN might evolve into a weapon. These three were on a limited budget after the bulk of talent was already locked up. Sue and Chrighton don't excite me. But with a little more cap space we can hopefully bring in some good players ahead of next season.

I'm not sold on Pay being a master coach ever. But recruiting him was a decision made by the old board when fans were crying out for Bulldogs DNA and reeked of desperation. We'll see if the board stick by him moving forward. There are some highly touted coaches with killer rosters failing this year. So our budget roster and coach can't be expected to perform miracles. I certainly hope we finish the season strongly, but a huge portion of the members on here had already written our season off before training began. I'm not sure why people seem surprised and disappointed that the expectations are being fulfilled.

This is hopefully the leanest year we'll suffer through for a long time. It's pretty rare for any club to go through a period like we saw from 01-03 when we gave 5-6 juniors their debuts who go on to representative level virtually overnight. But that's largely why we won our last premiership. The club is trying to get our development back to that level. But that was the culmination of 30-40 years of building a system that worked. Greenturd blew up that system to save money by letting great recruitment staff and junior coaches go. I know we can get it running smoothly again. But not before we get the right staff in place and get our recruitment right vfrom schoolboy level to NRL hopefuls. Meaney and CHN are positive recruitment decisions. Hopefully our board has more good recruits in their sights.

The hard times make the good times sweeter. Some patience might be needed, but I think we're at our lowest point right now. Our problems couldn't be solved ahead of the season. Hopefully we see more peices fall into place as the year goes on.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m disgusted with the crap coming out these days. I’m close not to extending a 10+ year running membership (I’m only early 30’s) so long time for me
Your avatar is pretty out there.. Haha

But yeah I just cancelled my membership, just a couple of days before the belmore massacre.. I'm hoping it makes a starement.
From the shit that's coming out of Pays mouth such as rebuilding, young team, storm are better, the naughty ball etc.. Seems like they're completely delusional and until we hit em where it hurts they're just going to keep thinking were loyal

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The squad which is a result of a numbers of years decisions is below average and Pay is struggling as a coach. Mcdonnell did not live up to the promise of being able to identify and recruit juniors - in fact some of the recruitment led to better options leaving the club - so now he has been sacked, along with others involved in the football side of the club. At least some are being held accountable. Im disappointed but being realistic it is a bottom 4 side which needs a lot of luck to win a game.Hopefully next year with a couple of centres, a dummy half and aggressive running forwards - things will be better.
Ironically some of the better talent in the under 18 rep competition played for Manly this year. Their links to the Blacktown area is paying off.

Last edited:

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Your avatar is pretty out there.. Haha

But yeah I just cancelled my membership, just a couple of days before the belmore massacre.. I'm hoping it makes a starement.
From the shit that's coming out of Pays mouth such as rebuilding, young team, storm are better, the naughty ball etc.. Seems like they're completely delusional and until we hit em where it hurts they're just going to keep thinking were loyal
What happens if you cancel your membership mid season? Do they refund you half of the fee?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the years end it will be 15 years since last premiership, the second worst drought in the clubs long history.

In 2019 no players for NSW and only one for Queensland who is lucky to be there on form.

In all likelihood no Australian player in 2019.

Worst attack I've seen over 45 years, same as the last 2 years.

A coach who for some reason was resigned for 2020 earlier tihis year despite the team showing no improvement.

Problems with Salary cap but I'm left scratching my head when I look at other teams rosters.

Hated by all other supporters and the Daily Telegraph.

What can be done?

This year Crichton to replace Montoya in Centre once Okunbor is back.
Lewis to replace Marshall King at hooker.

Apart from that I don't know any other options than to try out some of the other players in our top 30 squad.

Moving forward approach Kevin Walters as coach or take a gamble and approach the Walker Brothers, at least they will hopefully coach us to play exciting unorthodox attacking football once again. Dean Pay reminds me of the feeling I had when Kevin Moore was coach, we will never win with him in charge.

As soon as possible offload the following players who I suspect are on big coin at least for us. If we cant offload don't resign.
Foran
Hopoate
Tolman
Jackson (as much as it hurts he seems to have lost it).

At seasons end try to offload or don't resign when contracts are up for renewal:
Lichaa
Marshall King
Holland
Montoya
Elliott
Fualalo

Then buy the best hooker, halfback, prop and centre on the market once money is available in cap.

Also the players and coaches I've listed above are tough, talented and want to succeed as you need to be to play o rcoach in the NRL, but the game is now all about results and we need some fast!

If not I fear the possibility of being considered for relocation.
Highly unlikely the dogs will ever be relocated,the best supporter base of any club in Sydney,we are stone motherless last and still drew 13500 spectators against the storm who brought nobody,keep your chin up things will improve.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin Moore built the team and Des Hasler comes in and puts the icing on the cake. No reward though. Same thing will happen with Pay. He will build the team, but someone else will take over and get all the praise.
Dean Pay does not have what it takes to put the icing on the cake unfortunately.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who do you think you are? Honestly I dont believe this forum is for the kind of tripe your peddling. If you feel so strongly against the direction of the Club then run for the Board. What you suggest goes beyond opinion. Your ignorant and wrong.

Lets look at yesterdays game. Half time score was 8-0. The Storm are in the top 4. We are running last. The storms only try was due to one of their players putting illegal kick pressure on Cogger who ended up simply able to grubber the ball, getting no distance on his kick, picked up by a flying winger who had built up enough pace from broken field running to step Jackson then step Meaney to score. That and a penalty goal. The much vaunted Storm attack couldnt score. We tackled them out of it. Nor could we score as they repeatedly grappled us in tackles slowing us down preventing any momentum in our attack.

Lets go back 5 weeks. We should of beaten them. We were the better side on the day. We ran out Okunbor Holland, Lewis and Elliot that day. Martin played the whole game on an edge. 5 weeks on and Bellamy has worked us out. He grappled us out of it.

all the same, yesterday we didnt play well and we lost. We werent allowed to play well. The Storm laid on us all game such that we had no momentum in attack. The refs were attrotious. They at least pulled up 3 of the Storms 18 forward passes.

The effort was there but due to storms spoiling tactics slowing us down meant we couldnt get field position so couldnt get any repeat sets to build pressure. Our commitment and tactics were fine.

Lets move forward to next time we play.
You say our tactics were fine, you're blaming the refs, you say our squad is good and you're attacking other people and calling them ignorant? Talk about delusional. You must be watching a different team to the rest of us.

I suppose we're bottom of the ladder because we're unlucky? You make up more excuses than Pay himself.

Last edited:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
we are making a good case to be relocated
Won't happen. As long as we are financially viable, we won't be relocated. We're just having a bad year like everyone predicted.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some of you people should see a psychiatrist. It’s just footy.
Swings and roundabouts.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since that time we had Greenturd come in who decided that it's no use spending money on juniors if other clubs will just poach them. That right there set us back a long long way in being competitive. It was when we had to start paying above average money for average players. That just means other clubs can poach our marquee players. FFS we reputedly had L Perrett and Abbey on 300k prior to making their debuts.

Bulldogs fans have no patience with the results this year. But I'm hopeful that the board is getting our production line healthy again. At least if we're getting a couple of inexpensive years out of the average players that we bring through it allows us to funnel money elsewhere. Success purely on the old 'bred not bought' philosophy might not be possible. But neither is just buying players a route to succeed. A few clubs definitely seem to have circumvented the salary cap. But we'd get crucified if caught up in a salary cap scandal again.

We did most of our recruitment extremely late in the season. Meaney is a good prospect. Cogger isn't a bad one and CHN might evolve into a weapon. These three were on a limited budget after the bulk of talent was already locked up. Sue and Chrighton don't excite me. But with a little more cap space we can hopefully bring in some good players ahead of next season.

I'm not sold on Pay being a master coach ever. But recruiting him was a decision made by the old board when fans were crying out for Bulldogs DNA and reeked of desperation. We'll see if the board stick by him moving forward. There are some highly touted coaches with killer rosters failing this year. So our budget roster and coach can't be expected to perform miracles. I certainly hope we finish the season strongly, but a huge portion of the members on here had already written our season off before training began. I'm not sure why people seem surprised and disappointed that the expectations are being fulfilled.

This is hopefully the leanest year we'll suffer through for a long time. It's pretty rare for any club to go through a period like we saw from 01-03 when we gave 5-6 juniors their debuts who go on to representative level virtually overnight. But that's largely why we won our last premiership. The club is trying to get our development back to that level. But that was the culmination of 30-40 years of building a system that worked. Greenturd blew up that system to save money by letting great recruitment staff and junior coaches go. I know we can get it running smoothly again. But not before we get the right staff in place and get our recruitment right vfrom schoolboy level to NRL hopefuls. Meaney and CHN are positive recruitment decisions. Hopefully our board has more good recruits in their sights.

The hard times make the good times sweeter. Some patience might be needed, but I think we're at our lowest point right now. Our problems couldn't be solved ahead of the season. Hopefully we see more peices fall into place as the year goes on.
well said and a very balanced opinion to the situation.. Most people react on emotion after a disapointing loss around here, myself included.. but after the dust settles i remember the situation we are in and why we are in it.. i think the current board has made good strives forward, with my only real point concern was the resigning of Pay.. although we have a weak roster i honestly believe we should be doing better and it appears Pay is the main reason why we are not.. I do hope that there are performance clauses in his contract and there is a lot more going on behind the scenes then we are privey to....

Im not sure how people think years of neglect can be fixed in in 1.5 seasons.. .. manly are a prime example of how long it takes for poor cap management to be rectified and at least Manly did not neglect their juniors like we did...

Most people seem to forget that almost every expert had us favourite for the spoon.. im sure most of those experts know a lot more about footy than the Kennel..

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean pay was always a dumb choice.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What happens if you cancel your membership mid season? Do they refund you half of the fee?
They shouldn’t.
They should double the price of any future memberships, for being a shitcunt, supporter.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

You really are missing the point.

You are concentrating on one game that you think refereeing decisions cost us. I agree the refereeing was ordinary on Sunday, but the fact is our guys look clueless in attack all year and most of the year are soft in defence.

And this year is not the first. It is a build up of inept performances over the last five years. Couple that with the squad we have now and the next five years look grim as well.

Can anyone honestly say we are moving forward in any way?

I was all for the last board to be thrown out. But this board are deafening in their silence. Not to mention the fact that I can barely remember ever seeing Andrew Hill on any media.

I am like a lot of people in that I am blasé about our results now. Five years of boring play and idiots at the wheel will do that to you. Don't worry about relocation, we are turning into Parramatta.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Kevin Moore built the team and Des Hasler comes in and puts the icing on the cake. No reward though. Same thing will happen with Pay. He will build the team, but someone else will take over and get all the praise.
I am afraid Pay can't build 2 piece lego

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No mate, Longest drought since 1989-1992(4 years and no finals)

If we don't make the finals this year, 2020 & 2021 then that will be worse than 89-92 period. Even if we don't make the finals next year in 2020 it will only equal the 89-92 period.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you people should see a psychiatrist. It’s just footy.
Swings and roundabouts.
Lot of ppl live and die for their team for a lot of ppl it’s the only joy they have for a lot of fans patience is not a virtue consider the illogical and not just the logical

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lot of ppl live and die for their team for a lot of ppl it’s the only joy they have for a lot of fans patience is not a virtue consider the illogical and not just the logical
Still it's only just footy.

But I do understand in that footy and the dogs give people hope. Being part of a winning club gives a person a winning feeling and to a certain degree their outlook on life may somewhat be better. It's a sense of achievement.

But in saying that, footy shouldn't be the be all end all in someones life. Members should focus on their families, careers, hobbies, other sports and IF they are religious then concentratre on their faith a little will do a world of good for their self esteem.

Man some on here need to get out a little more. Go for a walk in the park, smell the fresh air, do some pull ups, sit ups and push ups, find a hobby, invest in shares or property, work towards a goal.

Anyway that's my rant, ill get back to work now and shut up....lol

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Disappointing to see people saying move Jackson on. Sure he is having a bad season but come on, look at our piece of fucking shit team and squad. You could have Jason Taumalolo on Jacksons edge and Cogger would still not be able to put Taumalolo in good a position to do anything other than a run. We need the obvious a 9, 7 or 6 and some decent backs. If Jackson moved on I hope it would be to the Roosters or Storm where he can win comp, he deserves it. Plus don't get me started on that idiot Pay, our players are going backwards or have just stagnated in developing.