Opinion Never been as despondent over the last 45 years

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the years end it will be 15 years since last premiership, the second worst drought in the clubs long history.

3 years since making the finals series, the longest drought since 1961 to 1966.

In 2019 no players for NSW and only one for Queensland who is lucky to be there on form.

In all likelihood no Australian player in 2019.

Worst attack I've seen over 45 years, same as the last 2 years.

A coach who for some reason was resigned for 2020 earlier tihis year despite the team showing no improvement.

Problems with Salary cap but I'm left scratching my head when I look at other teams rosters.

Hated by all other supporters and the Daily Telegraph.

What can be done?

This year Crichton to replace Montoya in Centre once Okunbor is back.
Lewis to replace Marshall King at hooker.

Apart from that I don't know any other options than to try out some of the other players in our top 30 squad.

Moving forward approach Kevin Walters as coach or take a gamble and approach the Walker Brothers, at least they will hopefully coach us to play exciting unorthodox attacking football once again. Dean Pay reminds me of the feeling I had when Kevin Moore was coach, we will never win with him in charge.

As soon as possible offload the following players who I suspect are on big coin at least for us. If we cant offload don't resign.
Foran
Hopoate
Tolman
Jackson (as much as it hurts he seems to have lost it).

At seasons end try to offload or don't resign when contracts are up for renewal:
Lichaa
Marshall King
Holland
Montoya
Elliott
Fualalo

Then buy the best hooker, halfback, prop and centre on the market once money is available in cap.

Also the players and coaches I've listed above are tough, talented and want to succeed as you need to be to play o rcoach in the NRL, but the game is now all about results and we need some fast!

If not I fear the possibility of being considered for relocation.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Disappointed is an understatement, I thought the last couple were bad with des ball, but this is even worse..!!

Seeing our bulldog team, stuck in this rut that has become so stale is absolutely depressing..!!

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walker bros will surely spark our attack

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i jumped on the band wagon in 1993 and i can only remember 1996 and 2008 as the only bad season untill the last few

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’m disgusted with the crap coming out these days. I’m close not to extending a 10+ year running membership (I’m only early 30’s) so long time for me

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No doubt one of the worst periods I can remember.

I have NEVER lost interest in the game before, until now. I'm not putting that all on Pay it, started with Des and Pay is finishing it.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good post by op and I feel the pain too.

Don't agree with Kevin Walters as coach though, terrible record at club level.

Not much can be done this year but we need someone with vision, I don't want to see 2020 as a repeat of this year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I can't argue. To me if the club does not sign atleast two players in the 400k range for next year then I do wonder wtf is going on. Apparently the money is there so there is no reason at all that some signings are made and then more when the rest of the cash becomes free in 2020/21. There is no point sitting on the $$$ this year and not improving the roster when we can. I too am at the point where I concede that Pay has nothing :(

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well, the kennel seems unified for once, we all seem to be in agreement that pay is as useless as tits on a bull

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with op. In 47 years I’ve never seen the club so pathetic and fragile. We’ve always made great decisions on recruitment in the past and even on the odd season where we were rebuilding the boys always seemed so proud of the jersey and the club...they knew what it meant to play for the dogs and they’d rip in.

I’ve never been so disappointed in the team. We’re poster boys for how to fuck a once awesome footy club.

There’s just no end in sight

Last edited:

Dogsup

Waterboy
Reaction score
Kevin Moore built the team and Des Hasler comes in and puts the icing on the cake. No reward though. Same thing will happen with Pay. He will build the team, but someone else will take over and get all the praise.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Those are alarming figures that reflect how far this great club has fallen. We've been spoilt for the most part during most of the last forty years that we've been perennial contenders and been an extremely consistent club.

But the fact is, since 96 we've won one premiership and haven't made the top 4 for many years now which used to be a regular occurrence. You can't win the comp these days without making the top 4, so something has to change very soon for us to get closer to contending again.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been hanging on the dogs since 84 the club today ain’t even a shadow of its former self

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kevin Moore built the team and Des Hasler comes in and puts the icing on the cake. No reward though. Same thing will happen with Pay. He will build the team, but someone else will take over and get all the praise.
Moore got his team one game away from a GF. Pays team he's building will be lucky not to get two spoons back to back

He's building NOTHING.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If what Pay says is true that he considers the squad to be a young team. He will stick with them thinking they’ll come good. I just don’t see quality for that to happen. Not like the youth we brought into first grade early 2000’s

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Take some of that leagues club money and make craig bellamy the richest coach in the game.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't care less about the dogs or NRL at the moment, it wasn't long ago that I used to watch 4-5 footy games a week but now I'll only watch the Bulldogs game in the background, I couldn't even tell you who our opposition is this week or what day we are playing, stuck through the past few years of shit footy but this year has just been too much. Don't remember the last time I enjoyed the footy. We are a disgrace of a club, look at our retention and recruitment, look at the way our board acted in the aftermath of the mad-monday incident, look at our fucking uncoordinated attack and our weak defence, from the top to the bottom we are a shit club, if it wasn't for one of the best fan bases in the league our club would have folded years ago.