Opinion Should Hoppa be dropped?

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You can drop the majority of the team if its based on what theyre offering in attack..

The attack starts with the spine, they cant create space or a simple overlap to save their life..
Yes, Unfortunately if you were going to sack every player that is performing poorly in attack you be left with Tolman :blush:

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately hoppa can’t be replaced with anyone better as we don’t have anyone. Do I rate him, Fuk no he is prob the worst centre in attack in the Comp. he gets dominated in every way attack and defence. I’m over 3/4 of this side and I’ve never hated my team so bad in my life. Some players don’t even deserve a reserve grade spot. And most wouldn’t make any grade side across the comp.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa is one of the few genuine leaders in the team and dropping him does not improve our line up at all. it is difficult for any centre or edge back rower to play within our current structure. They have no space for the outside men when Tolman and Cogger are sharing half back distribution. Only time we look dangerous is when Foran runs to the line and makes something happen. Problem with this is, Foran then limps around for the next 20 minutes trying to recover after being hit.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopoate isn't the problem.

You either play him at FB or on the wing but Dud Pay & Anderson have no clue.

Let me remind you of how our dud rebuild is going...

If we kept Des our spine would've been better:

1. Hopoate
6. Mbye
7. Foran
9. NOT Lichaa (he was on his way out)

We would of retained Klemmer, Woods & the Morris twins.

This rebuild is a total farce.
Des did create club all the players wanted to stay at.. Finucane, Pritchard, Ennis, Cook, Graham, Reynolds all didnt want to leave thats how strong the culture was & tightly knit the team was under him..

Poor recruitment / retention aside he knows how to coach and bring a team together, hes gone back to Manly and doing there what he did here.. there punching above their weight like we did.. we had a poor attacking squad under Des, but no way we decline like we have if he was here..

Hindsight now but if we knew how bad Pay is we would have kept Des..

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des did create club all the players wanted to stay at.. Finucane, Pritchard, Ennis, Cook, Graham, Reynolds all didnt want to leave thats how strong the culture was & tightly knit the team was under him..

Poor recruitment / retention aside he knows how to coach and bring a team together, hes gone back to Manly and doing there what he did here.. there punching above their weight like we did.. we had a poor attacking squad under Des, but no way we decline like we have if he was here..

Not really bud heard it from one of those players you mentioned he wanted out and so did a few of them on the list also. Don’t always believe what you hear in the media. The place was a shamble... not saying it’s much better now lol but Des was highly disliked by many towards the middle and back end of his time here

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really bud heard it from one of those players you mentioned he wanted out and so did a few of them on the list also. Don’t always believe what you hear in the media. The place was a shamble... not saying it’s much better now lol but Des was highly disliked by many towards the middle and back end of his time here
I also heard a retired player speak poorly of Des... Straight from the horses mouth

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hoppa is slow, Hara Naera should be tried in the centres
That would only happen if one of the Canterbury cup boys got a call up and as we have seen the coach does not like changing a winning combination...oh...wait....CHN has been playing well where he is so I can't see the coach switching him...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Finucane wanted more game time and left......Cook was not rated by the coach of the time so he left...Graham was a victim of the cap...Reynolds was not wanted either.....the club would not let Ennis have a longer deal so he left ( if he wanted to stay he could have)

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not from the media.. no point talking about Des in any positive way here.. we get it hes disliked by the masses..

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not from the media.. no point talking about Des in any positive way here.. we get it hes disliked by the masses..
Na not having a go at ya or anything, just stating I’ve heard it directly from the player himself he hated Des and wanted out... and he also said a lot of the playing group and staff wanted out also which also happened...... but anyway agree enough of the Des hate that’s past

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am hoppa’s Biggest supporter, but he has been rubbish this year in areas he has usually been excellent at. I have no idea why his offload has disappeared. He also used to be a Comp leader in line break assists and that has also been non existent for him this year. He seems to have lost his slick passes as well.

Really don’t know what is up with him

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah drop the best we have
This place getting desparato

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finucane wanted more game time and left......Cook was not rated by the coach of the time so he left...Graham was a victim of the cap...Reynolds was not wanted either.....the club would not let Ennis have a longer deal so he left ( if he wanted to stay he could have)
Cook wanted to stay and asked our board several times if Des would change his mind.. Reynolds wanted to stay , but Dogs couldnt get near Tigers offer.. Ennis wanted to stay but Des signed Lichaa and only offered him 1 year, Graham was released by the club ..

but of course Des is not liked by us so not to waste time lets all toe the line that the players hated Des and our club and the culture was terrible under Des & he was the worst thing to happen to our club..

Des is done, so lets hope Pay has fixed the culture & has a great relationship with the players & has got them together as a committed tight knit group..

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with what you're saying but this was more a case of sending the ball down the right hand side all day when they should have been going left.
Its poor game plan more than anything.
I wonder what input the senior players have on the game plan?

I mean the senior players such as Foran, Jackson and Tolman are surely saying (if Pay is saying just go down the right all game and Cogger is our only kicker) “why don’t we try”, or “the left is their weakness” etc etc

As a rookie coach, you’d have to be leaning on some of these senior guys for input.

Wouldn’t you?

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I can’t wait for Hopoate’s and Tolman’s ridiculous contracts to expire