News Greg Inglis enters rehab after Magic Round bender.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rugby League careers don’t last forever and he got paid handsomely

His advisors obviously didn’t give him life after footy options...

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
It's hard to feel sorry for a guy who has been so privileged and is now facing the reality of life that 99% of the population face on a daily basis.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s been retired for a month. What will it be for like him in 5 years ?
GI needs people around him. Get him on the coaching staff.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Former NRL superstar Greg Inglis has been admitted to a Sydney rehabilitation clinic.

The Daily Telegraph understands Inglis — who retired from rugby league on April 15 — will be treated for alcohol and depression issues.

South Sydney have since confirmed Inglis “has entered a facility to undergo treatment to assist with and support his mental health”.

Inglis is expected to remain a patient for several months.

There have been increasing concerns for Inglis in previous weeks, insiders claiming the ex-champion has not been attending work with Souths or the NRL.

The NRL has been made aware of the demons confronting Inglis, who is said to be struggling with life post-football.

He is said to be depressed and fragile.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg said the NRL would continue supporting Inglis as he transitioned into retirement.

“I’m aware of some of the issues that he’s facing and we’re in contact with him and the club,” Greenberg said on Thursday.

“It will be a journey for Greg. But he’s got a lot of support.

“He’s got a lot of people around him, including all of us at the NRL.”

Inglis’ behaviour in Brisbane for the Magic Round was erratic.

Insiders say Inglis has been drinking heavily with friends in Sydney and Macksville on the NSW north coast.

Inglis retired an absolute champion of rugby league — a player who starred with Melbourne, Souths, Queensland and Australia.

He played 265 NRL matches across his career with the Storm and Rabbitohs, ran out for the Kangaroos 39 times and wore the maroon for Queensland on 32 occasions.

Inglis won two grand finals with the Storm before leading the Rabbitohs in 2014 to their first premiership since being reinstated back into the competition.

If you or someone you know needs help, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit lifeline.org.au.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...c/news-story/55ad06ad1e2876e2c54cc09c06a111b9

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wish I could find my other post where I predicted he would go off the rails.

Didn’t realise it would be so soon.

I reckon his number might be up soon.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wish I could find my other post where I predicted he would go off the rails.

Didn’t realise it would be so soon.

I reckon his number might be up soon.
I think you'll find he's been off the rails for quite some time already.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not going to hammer the guy when he's dealing with some serious issues but I'm not going to feel sorry for him when he's been afforded every opportunity and been given special treatment and let off the hook by the NRL for numerous indiscretions over the years that other players would have been suspended for.

Either way, I hope he gets his life in order soon.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What kills me is greenturds public support for a bloke who has obviously been breaching the nrl code of conduct throughout his career.. But dance to sweet Caroline just once

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Inglis the game changer. Will always be remembered for getting the shoulder charge banned (after his dog shot on Dean Young) and getting mandatory sentencing of 3 months for drink driving brought in.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There are three types of blokes:-
1. Good bloke.
2. Just a bloke.
3. **** of a bloke.

Inglis is in category 3 and he is a nasty drunk on top of that.
Zero sympathy for the prick.
And more NRL corruption on show with the sweetheart deal with South re salary cap.

Oh I wonder if Souths & the NRL are paying him despite the drunk not turning up for work?
I think we all know the answer to that one.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So I am guessing that he WAS the player who behaved badly at the Magic round as "rumoured: by the Telegraph.....these issues just don't crop up overnight either. Life these days is extremely stressful; heck even I have issues at times, but you seek help and don't try and get your employer to cover up any indiscretions as happens with players in our game.

SHOOSH

WHICH recently retired NRL star made a disgrace of himself in Brisbane during Magic Round? Allegedly an ambassador for the game, the former player spent the entire weekend on the drink and made a fool of himself on multiple occasions. His former teammates were embarrassed by his behaviour.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/a80aed16b362e16b9fc0dd00fd48b975

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There are three types of blokes:-
1. Good bloke.
2. Just a bloke.
3. **** of a bloke.

Inglis is in category 3 and he is a nasty drunk on top of that.
Zero sympathy for the prick.
And more NRL corruption on show with the sweetheart deal with South re salary cap.

Oh I wonder if Souths & the NRL are paying him despite the drunk not turning up for work?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

Good point. An employer can be sympathetic to a worker but it won't last forever. Time comes when you have to man up yourself and take a bit of responsibility. Get help yes; that is very important but you also need to help yourself to a degree.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL has been made aware of the demons confronting Inglis, who is said to be struggling with life post-football.

He is said to be depressed and fragile.
Well and good and certainly a bad situation but it has been happening behind the scenes for a long time now so is not fully related to his retirement...just another ' excuse' for it. Makes a lot of people question the real reason for him giving the game away...NRL has bent over backwards to make the transition smooth, as have Souths, so he still has an income and a place in the game but how long will they feel obliged to do so???

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s been retired for a month. What will it be for like him in 5 years ?
GI needs people around him. Get him on the coaching staff.
Um, he sort of is already at Souths....the NRL and Souths are either just paying lip service to him or they have genuinely set up a paying position for him inside the game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/7506ceadb0f1a2d2f78d40acf1275c47
Inglis will now move into roles with both the Rabbitohs and NRL which will involve coaching, mentorship, ambassadorships and community.