EXCUSES

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be fair dinkum here, there is definitely more than 4, but that is not the point.

There were players who left while they were in their prime or about to hit their prime.

Regardless of which persons or parties were on our football board, overall, the retention and recruitement has been absolutely diabolical
Absolutely diabolical, instead of making sure we were able to replace players we lost with equally talented or better players, we just folded and allowed players and other teams dictate terms! This is the new brand of bulldogs we've come accustomed to.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah it hasn’t been great but having someone like Barba there is irrelevant it happened over 5 years ago now. The back ending of contracts played a major part in most of the recent departures.
Barba was never replaced. I think the bloke is trying to say, you do not release a player if you havent got a better replacement. Not sure if you get it, but take a look at the Roosters, Storm & Rabbitohs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Barba was never replaced. I think the bloke is trying to say, you do not release a player if you havent got a better replacement. Not sure if you get it, but take a look at the Roosters, Storm & Rabbitohs
Barba happened 5 years ago anyone responsible for it is long gone. All the current departures can’t be replaced like for like due to the cap.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters get rid of Cronk and the end of this year and the Rabbitohs lose Inglis and all of a sudden they have $1m spare. Do you really believe what our board is saying after getting rid of 1/2 a team.
Reynolds at least $500k
Graham $650000
Eastwood $800000
Morris boys combined $1.2m
Mybe $700000
Woods $800000
That’s at least $4.5m for them let alone anyone else I’ve missed, if we were to pay at least 1/2 that total to other clubs to take them why then don’t we have $2.5m spare. I’ll tell you why it’s all bullshit from the board and M Johns is talking about us.
Oh yeah there was also Klemmer on big coin. Two years and we are still fed bullshit from a board that is only interested in getting re-elected by continually reminding voters of the old boards errors, makes you think why.
Jackson, Tolman and Hopa probably on 800K each this year back-ended wouldn't surprise me. We're still paying some for Graham, Mbye and Woods also. I heard we're sitting on about 1M but keeping for future. Maybe we're front-ending some contracts these days

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Matty Johns ummm. We all have an opinion on how our Admin is going at times it’s been good and off late no so good. But I don’t listen to anything this guy says because he just dribbles. He couldn’t give a dam about anyone else other than Newcastle his comments when we played against the knights was enough for me to declare his a dribbler.

Last edited:

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des is manly through and through. We all knew that mate lol

And how do they have a worse side than us? DCE, Jake and Tom with Taupau, Finua Blake in the forwards - those 5 alone have more talent than our whole first grade and CC squad lol
We have some origin and kiwi players too malla. Dce, tom, and blake have missed alot of games so there goes that argument. Its the brains of the coach, there game plans and preperation is better than ows. Simple. Des and dib might of fucked things up. But u cant take away he is a good coach even if his eye for talent was shit.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roosters get rid of Cronk and the end of this year and the Rabbitohs lose Inglis and all of a sudden they have $1m spare. Do you really believe what our board is saying after getting rid of 1/2 a team.
Reynolds at least $500k
Graham $650000
Eastwood $800000
Morris boys combined $1.2m
Mybe $700000
Woods $800000
That’s at least $4.5m for them let alone anyone else I’ve missed, if we were to pay at least 1/2 that total to other clubs to take them why then don’t we have $2.5m spare. I’ll tell you why it’s all bullshit from the board and M Johns is talking about us.
Oh yeah there was also Klemmer on big coin. Two years and we are still fed bullshit from a board that is only interested in getting re-elected by continually reminding voters of the old boards errors, makes you think why.
Totally agree and I’ve mentioned this before it’s all a load of shit and it also came out of the coaches mouth that we have spare money left in this years cap. So why the fuck havnt we bought a Hooker or made a effort to sign Segs when he was available or anyone running around in Reggie’s we could use.

It’s all a load of shit, yes, we are in shit with back ended contracts etc but I’ve said it again several times the board is making it out worse then what it is and riding on the back of that until they hope success happens on the field.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The most logical explanation, as well as that word "excuse" is, that for the last 10 or so years, our club has been run by incompetent dickheads
Ohh please, the (OLD REGIME) is the old regime. Stop going back to the past, after working for frank lowy I asked him for business advice the key to be successful is to be able to plan for the short term before you plan for the long term. If you can't do that then there is no point operating because there will be no business to left to look for in the long term.

That's the problem with this board they have no short term plan there just accepting failure till 2021.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this is all about buying this administration time and they’re trying to pull wool over the supporters eyes, then I will say the following - Incompetence breeds incompetence... until we start making big hirings in administration (Gus Gould, would be a great start) give him all the power to change the direction of this club, because our current mob have a yes man for a CEO, who is missing in action, and a board who believe in their own hype, we will continue lagging behind the roosters and the likes. I Never thought I would see the day when the bulldogs who were the envy of the league for setting the bar high, fall to such a low. :cry::cry::cry:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All due respect to Matty John's. But he's never been in charge of a clubs salary cap or anything more complex than playing and offering his limited wisdom to young halves. So he's talking out of his ass. The rebuild we're going through isn't only a roster rebuilding process either. We are having to get our junior development system back on track as well as our coaching and recruitment staff needing to be improved.

I've seen many players promoted who still have massive fundamental flaws in their game. Unfortunately buying in a big name player or two would just be a short term solution. Dib and co tried the short term solutions with little success.

As fans we're not patient, but if we rely on short term solutions we'll be back to needing to rebuild again sooner than later. Even the Roosters had limited success back when they relied on recruiting stars alone. Once they started getting their junior development in order alongside recruitment of marquee players they actually had options available when stars got injuries.

As much as I want to be supporting this team while they're premiership contenders, I recognise that the NRL squad wasn't the only area where we were suffering under the previous administration. It wasn't a matter of luck that we had a hoard of great talent that emerged from our junior base to take us to our last premiership. It was good management of the club at every level.

I think our current board know that and they're working towards getting the whole system back to a point where recruiting stars isn't the only solution. Most clubs at present are forced to pay pretty high prices for a medium level of talent. The strongest clubs produce the occasional marquee player but keep their cap balanced by also getting a few seasons of value out of the medium players they bring through. We're still in a hangover phase from an admin team that reputedly had players like Brad Abbey and Lloyd Perrett on 300k a season contracts before they'd even played in the NRL.

So if it takes 2 more years of adjustment to get good players coming through without the fundamental flaws that we see in many of our promoted juniors it's well worth the pain of not being in premiership contention. I'm here for the long haul and I really hope that the voting members give our current board the chance to re-establish the right systems and staff needed to have a production line that allows us to keep the key players and gun juniors long term. That's the blueprint for NRL greatness. But it will take time.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ohh please, the (OLD REGIME) is the old regime. Stop going back to the past, after working for frank lowy I asked him for business advice the key to be successful is to be able to plan for the short term before you plan for the long term. If you can't do that then there is no point operating because there will be no business to left to look for in the long term.

That's the problem with this board they have no short term plan there just accepting failure till 2021.
How are ya habibi Ray?

Have you cut down on those kebabs? A couple of salad sandwiches everyday will do you a world of good!

Peace out - Chris Ando

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
We have some origin and kiwi players too malla. Dce, tom, and blake have missed alot of games so there goes that argument. Its the brains of the coach, there game plans and preperation is better than ows. Simple. Des and dib might of fucked things up. But u cant take away he is a good coach even if his eye for talent was shit.
Never said he was a bad coach mate. I just said he was bad for the Bulldogs. We've never been about anything else but the Doggies culture... ever.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never said he was a bad coach mate. I just said he was bad for the Bulldogs. We've never been about anything else but the Doggies culture... ever.
Good coaches can bring in a winning culture wherever they go.. which one is more important..

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No......u missed the point.... i was pointing out how shit of a coach pay is. Why the fuck would u just leave him in charge for the culture ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love how Matty Johns is allowed to have such a media career when he was involved in an orgy scandal in NZ while with Cronulla. He's a perpetual drunk who is a protected species and thinks he's hilarious when he's more irritating than insightful.