Is cogger the halfback we have needed?

Kiraz Crazy

Hasler_For_PM
Reaction score
With a horrible team around our halves, Foran and Cogger have been exceptional.

But while Foran is injury prone and not getting any younger, Cogger is 21 years of age and already playing exceptionally. Have we found our long term number 7?

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With his limited playing time and experience, he has been exceptional. The best part is that he will only get better.
He is most certainly representative of our future.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Too early to tell. We will get a better idea at the end of the year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m 50/50 at the minute and will wait until he’s played more games. He’s definitely improving each week which is all you ask of from a young half.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s still early days to make a real call on Cogger
Let’s give him some time to evolve his game and hone some skills
A lot will depend on Pay,is he going to rotate during the year or play on form
Don’t forget it doesn’t help him being in a wobbly team

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
He is having a go. But we have all seen players who develop in one year, only to go backwards in there second year as other teams have more tape and are able to isolate a players weakness. But signs are promising. He is a tough bugger like his dad.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes doing ok but Cant be sure yet.. need to see how his attacking game develops.. would be good to give him halves coach for his development..

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Does anyone think his defence is shit?:grimacing:
He is 21. I'm not so fussed if he doesn't become a superstar in defence. It's all about his attack. Geez if Jamie Soward could lead a team around and win a comp, well that pretty much sums up how important defence is for a half.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m 50/50 at the minute and will wait until he’s played more games. He’s definitely improving each week which is all you ask of from a young half.
The one thing that I have noticed about him is always looks calm and not really rushed
His demeanour is always the same from start to finish
The kicking game can be a bit better

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Far too early too judge.. at this stage i have him just ahead of lewis.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With a horrible team around our halves, Foran and Cogger have been exceptional.

But while Foran is injury prone and not getting any younger, Cogger is 21 years of age and already playing exceptionally. Have we found our long term number 7?
So far yes, if he continues to develop then maybe we have found our long time half...and to all those who are going to say let's no jizz over him yet...remember I said "MAYBE" our long term half.

Although he is comming along nicely. The one indicator that tells me that a halfback may turn out to be really good is his quickness between the ears and composure on the field.
A half back that doesn't get flustered, doesn't get rushed and has the game on a string, cool, calm and controlled. Unlike Frawley where clearly the game was too quick for him and he couldn't think ahead on the field.
So far Cogger has shown these good qualities for such a young kid. I really like his cross field bombs to our wingers and he manages to place the ball just before the tryline most times. I like how busy he is on the field, moving from one side to the other.
He can definately pass the ball and lately has introduced a running game. Two line breaks I saw him do on Saturday...one of them in the first half when he went straight through but only Fualolo was backing up, if that was Meaney backing up then that was a try under the sticks. And the second was his try in the second half. The balance is great in the halves ATM, Foran plays well when he doesn't have to do game management and leaves it to Cogger...and Cogger plays well when he's got a running 5/8th outside of him so to speak. Cogger is a type of halfback that gives me confidence, as in he doesn't give you that heart in mouth feeling when he's got the ball in his hands.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He seems to be a very reliable and smart player despite his age and experience.

Kind of comes off as a Trent Hodkinson sort of player. Not quick, but has a solid kicking game and can manage a team.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is 21. I'm not so fussed if he doesn't become a superstar in defence. It's all about his attack. Geez if Jamie Soward could lead a team around and win a comp, well that pretty much sums up how important defence is for a half.
If a half’s best attribute is defence then they aren’t a good half...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Way too early to tell. Cogger has been far from exceptional. He had a nice game against the Titans but has had some average games before that.

One shocker against Melbourne and people may call for Lewis to come back so let's slow down a little. To be honest, the way Lewis has disappointed this year, I'm not sure either he or Cogger are the long term solution. I'd still like to see Wakeham get a shot later in the season.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still on the fence, showing very good sings though. But a little early to jump the gun just yet, but its good .