Nick Meaney and support play

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He definetly has potential and very sure hands.
I think over time his support play will develop and he will learn what players to trail.

As for his running game i think if he gets a good off season under his belt and hits the weight room hard and puts on some size, he will become much more likely to bust tackles and get line breaks. It will also give him more confidence in himself to hit the line hard which he seems to struggle with at the moment. We should also bring in a sprint coach if we havent already to work with him and possibly get a little more pace and balance in his running.
I agree we could be doing more to involve him in our attack espicially when were in the oppositions red zone he looks to have a nice pass and could become a real threat.
All in all he is 100% worth persisting with and could be our fullback for the next decade.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Safe as houses, And he will only get better.!!! Once he finds his feet and really gets going, he will be a danger also. I think we have finally found our FB.

100% keeper.
Agree. He’s just a kid I can only see him getting better.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Support can be coached and he should be instructed to follow the ball every play but most fullbacks that support well have that in their game from the get go. Look at someone like Papenhuzen. He made his run on debut on Thursday and he was pushing up in support the whole game.

Maybe Meaney's fitness isn't at the level required yet to follow the ball constantly?

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wonder where JMK is in support, in defence on breaks he is there but when it’s attack he isn’t around the ball

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wonder where JMK is in support, in defence on breaks he is there but when it’s attack he isn’t around the ball

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guy is safe at the back but every time a line break is made he's not even in the same frame. Maybe I'm just expecting him to be like Barba and come flying through but I thought he should've supported Okunbor and run the length of the field for a try. Seems like he is lacking in fitness..
This has been lacking in our team for the ost 3 years. If Sam perrett can do it so can Meaney. This was the thing that pissed me off the most about mbye and it is starting to Annoy me about Meaney.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barba could sniff out a try from anywhere

Meaney looks to lack vision/anticipation of where the play going and what’s unfolding

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Barba could sniff out a try from anywhere

Meaney looks to lack vision/anticipation of where the play going and what’s unfolding
Not the only thing he could sniff

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We get it you wonder where JMK is in support

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hes going good but How hard is it for the fullback to follow the ball carrier?.. Slater was the best at it & all the great fullbacks do it, & its not such an exotic concept.. can be easily coached

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney is fundamentally a good fullback. Way better than hoppa.. when does that flops contract expire

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instinct anticipation timing are all lacking.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney is fundamentally a good fullback. Way better than hoppa.. when does that flops contract expire
We are lucky we have Hoppa in our backline especially with all the kids we have around him..

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Timid is right. He needs to hit the weights and put on a few kgs. Would give him more confidence putting his body on the line. Will need to be done in the off season but.

Malla

Reaction score
He has quite a bit to learn in terms of his positional and support play in attack. But he’s safe and puts himself in the right spots in defence. He’s off to a really good start in his career.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was waiting him a few times there and no where to be seen. About the only thing I can pull him up on.