Official Who are our brightest prospects and why?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Boys and girls . Been working with Chris walkers brother he told me the dogs and the reds and rebel’s are After this kids signature they reckon he will be a super star
Shane or Ben? I've spent time with both and they're great guys despite what people may think.

With how well the Walkers have done as coaches and the style they play, I'd like to see them get a shot. Or Holbrook. We need a breath of fresh air and a coach who can relate to and get the best out of the new generation.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Check out the highlights of 15 year old Paul Alamoti on the official site. Very impressive.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I run my own tiling business and Luke is the youngest I work with him to knock a few jobs he reckons he is pretty keen on the dogs, so here’s hoping. Luke reckons he will be better than Thurston he is really humble and quiet kid
He looks very good. He seems like a bigger half and has a bit of Cherry-Evans about him.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given he is 15 and is a half he only has what ... 10 more years before he starts to play his best footy.. that's a long time away, club cant just rely on developing youngsters..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The word 'development' club in its strictest meaning is overrated.. most clubs can develop players once the players are in their system.. the number of clubs that havent been able to develop young talent is minimal if any..

Good scouts is a crucial part of the process.. that saw the club bring over SBW from NZ and Barba & Thurston from North QLD, and theres an endless list of great talent identification weve done over the years..

Brisbane and Penrith identify themselves as 'development' clubs they havent won a comp since 2006.. meanwhile clubs with great recruitment of juniors and also top players have won many more competitions..

In summary Development is necessary for all NRL clubs.. but great talent scouts and great recruitment set the top clubs from the others most seasons..

Melbourne develop very strong players, but they have no local junior base, so they are making many right decisions in identifying and recruiting the right players..
Melbourne is protected IMO. I'm sure they get the best pick of lower grade talent in their feeder clubs directing them towards Melbourne.

NRL needs Melbourne to remain strong, imagine Melbourne become a mid table team or laguish down the ladder, Rugby League would die in Melbourne.., and thats not good for the NRL's aim to be a true National competition.

This is just my opinion

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I run my own tiling business and Luke is the youngest I work with him to knock a few jobs he reckons he is pretty keen on the dogs, so here’s hoping. Luke reckons he will be better than Thurston he is really humble and quiet kid
Does this kid play for Ipswitch?

I was told about 1 month ago that Mark Hughes(Bulldogs head of recruitment) was up in queensland watching this gun from Ipswitch.

It must be this Sam Walker kid. I wasn't given any names. Must be this kid.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Young guy Turoa Williams. Son of Jason Williams former good Bulldogs winger.
Good reports about him.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m involved with the junior league and junior bulldogs;
Ones to look out for incl;
Danny ghantos: 16 year old hooker playing in the under 18s
Khaled rajab: 16year old whizz half
Joe O’Neil: five eight tough as nails and plays direct and quick at the line
Paul alimotti: centre with power and skill

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The talent pool thins as you get closer to NRL. It's been said that from something like 100 superstars in the lower grades, only 5 will end up playing NRL. For every 5 that end up playing NRL, only 1 or 2 will truly be superstars.

There are pretty big step ups in grades. Qld system is almost always behind NSW equivalents throughout the grades.

NSW vs QLD
Under 16s: Harold Matthews Cup vs Cyril Connell Cup (replaced with Qld Junior Championships which runs for bugger all time).
Under 18s: SG Ball Cup vs Mal Meninga Cup
Under 20s: Jersey Flegg vs Hastings Deering Colts (Broncos affiliated with 6 of 14 teams, Titans 3, Cowboys 3, Storm 1).
Reserve Grade for Under 20s: Sydney Shield vs Unsure if there is an equivalent.
Reserve Grade: Canterbury Cup vs Intrust Super Cup
Reserve Grade for Reserve Grade: Ron Massey Cup vs Unsure if there is an equivalent.

Storm also tap from Victorian Thunderbolts in NSWRL comp.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need recruitment scouts out there , identifying some gem young players, need to look towards the future and build that for long term success!! We’ve done it before, so faith is it will/Is happening again.
Recruitment, isn’t the problem. Image and reputation are.
Apart from the very few “bolt from the blue” players from nowhere, every single club is looking at the same “future superstars”. Our problem is, our club isn’t an appealing proposition.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
With the changing of the guard and this management turning to junior development again as its number 1 priority.

Was wondering from this years batch of juniors, im talking under 20s and lower, do we have any juniors earmarked for future stardom.

And which grade made the finals?

Its been years since we saw a ben barba/Sbw type of player coming through the grades and getting us fans excited about the future .
I don’t think there is a single player in our system that could be considered a superstar but that’s just me. Since about the early 2000s the only superstars I have seen come through were:

Anasta
SBW
Thurston
Barba

Everyone knew SBW was very special. Thurston and Barba had their detractors and not everyone thought they would make it. Anasta was always streets ahead of his peers in the lower grades.

In fairness though in that time we produced rep quality footballers (Sorry for whomever I missed):

Elmasri
Utai
Sherwin
Mason
Asotasi
Maitua

To a lesser extent:

Reynolds (he did play for nsw)
Idris (played for australia)
Jackson
Klemmer

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don’t think there is a single player in our system that could be considered a superstar but that’s just me. Since about the early 2000s the only superstars I have seen come through were:

Anasta
SBW
Thurston
Barba

Everyone knew SBW was very special. Thurston and Barba had their detractors and not everyone thought they would make it. Anasta was always streets ahead of his peers in the lower grades.

In fairness though in that time we produced rep quality footballers (Sorry for whomever I missed):

Elmasri
Utai
Sherwin
Mason
Asotasi
Maitua

To a lesser extent:

Reynolds (he did play for nsw)
Idris (played for australia)
Jackson
Klemmer
That's why i asked the question originally. Its been so long since there has been any excitement whatsover. Usually there has been quite a few players coming through the grades that you thought, hey this player can be something special.

I think it was same time as Barba, when we had Kasiano, finucane, jackson, Idris, Taupau and i thought Wow our future is looking so bright and it was for a bit till Des came and fucked everyone off pretty much.

Besides that as u said last one was SBW, we all knew he was a freak and boy did he deliver.

These days we have absolutely no one to get excited about. It's sad when fans got excited about Okenbur when he has been this useless since i first layed eyes on him years ago.

Unless we do a Newcastle and buy players i honestly can't see us getting back to top anytime soon unless we put all our eggs in 1 basket and develop some champion youngsters to come through the ranks like we did back in the day with Nate Myles, Asotasi, Sbw, Thurston who all came through same time.

And sherwin mason anasta maitua as well.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m involved with the junior league and junior bulldogs;
Ones to look out for incl;
Danny ghantos: 16 year old hooker playing in the under 18s
Khaled rajab: 16year old whizz half
Joe O’Neil: five eight tough as nails and plays direct and quick at the line
Paul alimotti: centre with power and skill
Hey finchie are any of our scouts looking north of the boarder??

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'd have posted Joseph O'Neills highlight video, but the clowns who run the Dogs website have linked the Williams/Alatomi video to the link instead LOL

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ah I was trying to find these posts