Lewis To Left Centre - Is It Worth A Shot?

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Montoya or CHN in the centres (Pay almost put CHN there). I'd actually like to see Montoya on wing outside CHN.

Lewis is down on confidence... needs to rebuild that in NSW Cup.
I’ve been saying CHN to center all year.. I’d like to see Montoya given a shot outside a safe decent center.. Holland generally has good attack and skill but is a liability in D

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most of us would agree that Montoya is not a centre, maybe not even a first grader.
So, as Holland has paid the price for his defensive issues out there I'm trying to think of other options.

If my memory serves me correctly, Lewis played alot of centre in NSW cup last year before he made 1st grade.

I think it would be good to have an extra kicking option out there and he would provide that.

During our most successful eras (the 80 es) we had Andrew Farrar who played in the centres and took alot of pressure off the halves with his big kicking game. I think Lewis could do that.

Lewis is a great one on one defender, although defending straight running forwards at half is totally different to than defending speedy outside backs who can make you look silly defending laterally. That would be his biggest test.

The other facet is that he is probably not that fast, though neither is "Im Running On A Tread Mill Montoya".

As our season is gooooonnnneeee, I reckon it might be worth a shot - although Pay seems to love Montoya.

What do you guys reckon?
Totally agree...we know he can defend, none of our centers have been setting the world on fire in attack anyway.
His attack could more effective in the centers...What have we got to loose ???
To me it's a win win situation !!!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Montoya or CHN in the centres (Pay almost put CHN there). I'd actually like to see Montoya on wing outside CHN.

Lewis is down on confidence... needs to rebuild that in NSW Cup.
It will take a miracle to turn into a good half
If his creativity is half the size of his heart he would have been a champion !!!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He needs some time in reserve grade i would rather see what CHN can do as a centre

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you are right. Put him in reverse grade because thats where he belongs. His not a first grader.
It's not saying he's a reserve grader. It's saying right now, he needs to develop his game. Go back to reserve grade and dominate a position for a month. He needs some confidence badly. Playing him out of position or as a utility, serves no purpose both to him and the team.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most of us would agree that Montoya is not a centre, maybe not even a first grader.
So, as Holland has paid the price for his defensive issues out there I'm trying to think of other options.

If my memory serves me correctly, Lewis played alot of centre in NSW cup last year before he made 1st grade.

I think it would be good to have an extra kicking option out there and he would provide that.

During our most successful eras (the 80's) we had Andrew Farrar who played in the centres and took alot of pressure off the halves with his big kicking game. I think Lewis could do that.

Lewis is a great one on one defender, although defending straight running forwards at half is totally different to than defending speedy outside backs who can make you look silly defending laterally. That would be his biggest test.

The other facet is that he is probably not that fast, though neither is "Im Running On A Tread Mill Montoya".

As our season is gooooonnnneeee, I reckon it might be worth a shot - although Pay seems to love Montoya.

What do you guys reckon?
He did play centre last year and i started a thread on tk last year saying lewis is ready for fg. His defence as a centre would be valuable, some of his hits as a centre in reserves were outstanding. I think one game he topped the most tackles as a centre in reserves. I was hoping he would be one of our long term halves and still do. Just think right now for his own good a bit of time in reserves will do him a lot of good. But yeah after that i would like to see him play half or centre. Lewis is part of our future i hope.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewis can handle the defence at centre but that whole edge would have no attacking potential at all! Lewis’ running game is non existent and he doesn’t have the pace to play centre. At the moment Lewis is in the halves or on the bench at a pinch or he’s not in the team at all.

When people say we have nothing to lose I think we do have something to lose because Lewis is never going to be a long term centre and he misses out on time developing skills in the halves. It also takes away the chance for someone like Harper to get NRL experience in the centres.
Well put

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No, prefer Montoya or CHN in the centres, Lewis needs a little more time in the lower grades, in fact considering all odds.. Montoya did a good job against the knights. Hate to say it BUT he ran hard, and looked A lot stronger..!! The effort was definitely there.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave him partner Foran, before Foran got injured they were working well together.

Lewis is not yet the dominant playmaker, let him lean on Foran to guide him. I still believe Lewis is our long term half.
He should develop into a good 5/8
Laurie Daley & Brad Fittler both served apprenticeships in the centres before they made the switch to 6.

Cogger is a natural 7, Foran is a 6

Put him at left centre and defensively plug that hole.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He did play centre last year and i started a thread on tk last year saying lewis is ready for fg. His defence as a centre would be valuable, some of his hits as a centre in reserves were outstanding. I think one game he topped the most tackles as a centre in reserves. I was hoping he would be one of our long term halves and still do. Just think right now for his own good a bit of time in reserves will do him a lot of good. But yeah after that i would like to see him play half or centre. Lewis is part of our future i hope.
Lewis is valuable players who could become a special player but he is far from being halfback, he could develop to be a 5/8

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis is valuable players who could become a special player but he is far from being halfback, he could develop to be a 5/8
Where ever Lewis plays i know he will give his best and become that special player. He needs a spell in reserves hopefully will do him good.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Harper / Montoya is the next best shot at the left edge.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He should develop into a good 5/8
Laurie Daley & Brad Fittler both served apprenticeships in the centres before they made the switch to 6.

Cogger is a natural 7, Foran is a 6

Put him at left centre and defensively plug that hole.
It will be interesting to see how long will Foran last at 5/8

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Poor Lewis the rise and fall has been quicker than his media interviews

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I laughed at the idea 6 months ago but I wouldn't mind him playing at lock to see how he goes, probably fails due to his size (weight) but we could do with another playmaker in the team.