Lewis To Left Centre - Is It Worth A Shot?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us would agree that Montoya is not a centre, maybe not even a first grader.
So, as Holland has paid the price for his defensive issues out there I'm trying to think of other options.

If my memory serves me correctly, Lewis played alot of centre in NSW cup last year before he made 1st grade.

I think it would be good to have an extra kicking option out there and he would provide that.

During our most successful eras (the 80's) we had Andrew Farrar who played in the centres and took alot of pressure off the halves with his big kicking game. I think Lewis could do that.

Lewis is a great one on one defender, although defending straight running forwards at half is totally different to than defending speedy outside backs who can make you look silly defending laterally. That would be his biggest test.

The other facet is that he is probably not that fast, though neither is "Im Running On A Tread Mill Montoya".

As our season is gooooonnnneeee, I reckon it might be worth a shot - although Pay seems to love Montoya.

What do you guys reckon?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah i wasnt keen on it in the beginning but I think its worth a shot.
We certainly can't score many points so anything that can help us conceding points is worth a shot. He's not really a great ball runner but our other options aren't getting us points either

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know he played that position in reserves but think he would rather play
6 or 7
Let him learn his trade and hopefully becomes good at it eventually
Harper deserves to be a centre before Lewis
Been improving this year,runs good lines and fast

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Leave him partner Foran, before Foran got injured they were working well together.

Lewis is not yet the dominant playmaker, let him lean on Foran to guide him. I still believe Lewis is our long term half.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis can handle the defence at centre but that whole edge would have no attacking potential at all! Lewis’ running game is non existent and he doesn’t have the pace to play centre. At the moment Lewis is in the halves or on the bench at a pinch or he’s not in the team at all.

When people say we have nothing to lose I think we do have something to lose because Lewis is never going to be a long term centre and he misses out on time developing skills in the halves. It also takes away the chance for someone like Harper to get NRL experience in the centres.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think either Lewis or Cogger should have a go at Hooker and depending on that decision whether Lewis goes to centre. Either way, for me Lewis must be in the team. JMK offers zero in attack and is at the top of his game....which is still better than Lichaa.

This is the team I posted as our most full strength the other day,

1. Meaney
2. R. Smith
3. Hoppa
4. CHN
5. Crichton
6. Foran
7. Cogger
8. Ogden
9. Lewis
10. Tolman
11. Martin
12. RFM
13. Jackson

14. JMK/Brown/Holland
15. Napa
16. Fualalo
17. C. Smith/Elliott/To'omaga

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Most of us would agree that Montoya is not a centre, maybe not even a first grader.
So, as Holland has paid the price for his defensive issues out there I'm trying to think of other options.

If my memory serves me correctly, Lewis played alot of centre in NSW cup last year before he made 1st grade.

I think it would be good to have an extra kicking option out there and he would provide that.

During our most successful eras (the 80's) we had Andrew Farrar who played in the centres and took alot of pressure off the halves with his big kicking game. I think Lewis could do that.

Lewis is a great one on one defender, although defending straight running forwards at half is totally different to than defending speedy outside backs who can make you look silly defending laterally. That would be his biggest test.

The other facet is that he is probably not that fast, though neither is "Im Running On A Tread Mill Montoya".

As our season is gooooonnnneeee, I reckon it might be worth a shot - although Pay seems to love Montoya.

What do you guys reckon?
If Lewis could run hard yes... but he can't, would just limit our try scoring chances even more imo

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He is to slow, won't be able to hit the gaps or get around the opposite Centre. He can't fend and won't be able to create for the wing. He's a sitting duck in attack.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We seem to promote players to FG who havent proven themselves in reserve grade.. and these same players usually dont do well or are inconsistent in FG..

The usual modus operandi was bringing in players to FG after they had priven themselves in lower grades.. you would always have a few exceptions with the very talented players, but thats how it was usually done..

From JMK, Cogger, Lewis, Okunbor, Montoya none of these guys have proven themselves in lower grades and are yet to do so in FG..

All the players weve promoted in since 2000 like Sherwin, Anasta, Thurston, Mason, Utai, Myles, Jackson, Klemmer, Barba, Taupau all stood out in reserves and were ready for a shot at FG.. some came up and killed it pretty much straight way as they had that experience and confidence of doing well in lower grades..

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His a 14. Might make it as a backrower one day but his certainly not a centre or a half.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same as in the halves will offer nothing in attack.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His a 14. Might make it as a backrower one day but his certainly not a centre or a half.
So he'd get a token 8-10 mins a game?

What’s the point?

Wouldn’t we benefit more from him playing reserve grade and getting confident in a particular position?

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he'd get a token 8-10 mins a game?

What’s the point?

Wouldn’t we benefit more from him playing reserve grade and getting confident in a particular position?
Yes you are right. Put him in reverse grade because thats where he belongs. His not a first grader.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Montoya or CHN in the centres (Pay almost put CHN there). I'd actually like to see Montoya on wing outside CHN.

Lewis is down on confidence... needs to rebuild that in NSW Cup.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

What do you guys reckon?
Met I agree with putting Lewis at center, I must have to say Montoya def wasn’t the worst on ground last weekend, he actually played a pretty solid game..