Where to from here?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The general principal should be .. dont let players go until yiu have better replacements..
Im not a warm to letting Jackson go.. but at least let Jackson go when we secure a better replacement..
At the moment Im not confident is us recruiting anyone of note.
Who is better than Jackson? Next question, who is better than Jackson and available?

Personally I've not been all that happy with Jackson's playing form since he was made captain. It looks to me like he suffers from the extra burden. Plus I'm not convinced he is the right person to be captain, he's just to honest and nice, he needs to get in the refs faces even if they are right and especially when they are wrong. He needs to tell the slackers that they are slacking. I know he lifts a team by his physical efforts, but a captain needs to be more than that.

Go Dogs

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who is better than Jackson? Next question, who is better than Jackson and available?

Personally I've not been all that happy with Jackson's playing form since he was made captain. It looks to me like he suffers from the extra burden. Plus I'm not convinced he is the right person to be captain, he's just to honest and nice, he needs to get in the refs faces even if they are right and especially when they are wrong. He needs to tell the slackers that they are slacking. I know he lifts a team by his physical efforts, but a captain needs to be more than that.

Go Dogs
Jackson hasn't been the same since his shoulder Op. Whether it is fully healed or not is the question but in my view he shouldn't have started the season and should hae been coming into the mould now.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson needs to be moved to lock.

On another note, Jackson is out of form but that will not last long.

A country kid, with a country mentality and heart and he will be back up in no time.

To all the flogs speculating on Jackson's salary and comparing his output to his salary, use need to be sat down on a kids IKEA chair, and slapped the fuck out of for 5 days straight.

The bloke has been putting in 100% since the first day he stepped into first grade. He is a calibre of player who does not turn to shit, yes he can be out of form, but form picks itself back up.

These same flogs who are shitting on Jackson, are the same flogs who are sucking Forans dick. Forans body has been done to death, so i do not wish to go there again , and argue forward and back.

We are in a really fucked up position until we start recruiting some top class players.

I am a firm believer of producing our own juniors, but that takes a hell lot of a time, and considering the club has just started putting back into it, we will not see the fruition for another 5 years.

We have youth and experience to start a rebuild, though as mentioned we really need to be aggressive and persistent with recruiting.

The board will be judged at the next election, and that will definitely come down to who and what they recruit for 2020 and not 2021. The salary cap pressure excuse has expired, because they lost and released alot of experience and good players, so much that we almost lost a whole starting 17 in a couple of years. Spin whatever shit you want, but that excuse has expired.

Dean Pay? I know people want to see us play like the Storm and Roosters, but obviously with the cattle we have, you are dreaming. Where we are on the table, is where our club is at the moment. imo Pay is not the coach we need at the moment and moving forward. He does not have the cattle, BUT, he does not have the man management skills and the mentality required for a modern day coach. Today's premadonas have to be dealt with differently, as old school just does not work.

Pay is not getting the best out of his players individually, due to his philosophy and lack of management. This can also come down to what is around him in terms of trainers and support staff, but in general it is all a big heap of shit
Jackson was moved to lock... his shoulder couldn't handle it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasnt Jackson Dally M 2nd rower of the year last year..

Unlike others in our squad Jackson has performed at the highest level in the game, how about we look to replace others in our 17 who havent even ever done well at NRL level..

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we need to emulate the 2008 heading into 2009 season style of signings , we got David stagg, Eastwood, Hannant, Ennis, Morris, just to name a few . We had the worst Jerseys which are nearly as bad as the ones we got now but we blitzed he competition, Wayne Bennett personally told the broncos players to chose the dogs cause it’s a wel run club.. we need change but my benefit of the doubt will be cast after round 10 next year . If there is zero improvement and by improvement i mean wins then there’s no reason why we can’t make finals . The rookies have experience and I tbink the piece of the puzzle we are missing is a gun centre, a hooker, and a big winger line Corey Oates to get us out of our own half with the scoot

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was he really? I don't pay attention to the Dally Ms.. Isaako was rookie of the year and now he's playing Q Cup...

No one is doubting Jackson's pedigree and service to the club. It's just a matter of can he get back to the player he was a few years ago? Aside from running an inside line, Jackson doesn't offer a lot in attack anymore and isn't the reliable defender he used to be.

We got CHN for less than Jackson would be on so whenever he does leave or retire, there will be plenty of players capable of filling the void.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was he really? I don't pay attention to the Dally Ms.. Isaako was rookie of the year and now he's playing Q Cup...

No one is doubting Jackson's pedigree and service to the club. It's just a matter of can he get back to the player he was a few years ago? Aside from running an inside line, Jackson doesn't offer a lot in attack anymore and isn't the reliable defender he used to be.

We got CHN for less than Jackson would be on so whenever he does leave or retire, there will be plenty of players capable of filling the void.
Why not look to replace our centres, our hooker who hasnt done anything in attack ever in FG and many others.. focusing on Jackson as a scapegoat when hes one of our most experienced doesnt make much sense.. plus our backrow is where we have most depth anyway.. i would focus on other areas first especially our spine..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, they will blame the previous board and 'our cap', as long as they can
Perhaps they are forward paying some contracts - those that were back-ended and/or had ratchet clauses so they can do a faster clearing of the decks ie: have more dough to attract some better players in 2020 and not have to wait until 2021. Maybe they accepted all along that 2019 was going to be our Annus Horribilis? I’m sure there’s a plan - just because they haven’t made it public, that’s probably a good thing - although making it public also might shut up all the Googles (know everything) on TK.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why not look to replace our centres, our hooker who hasnt done anything in attack ever in FG and many others.. focusing on Jackson as a scapegoat when hes one of our most experienced doesnt make much sense.. plus our backrow is where we have most depth anyway.. i would focus on other areas first especially our spine..
I agree all of those are a priority. I'm not making Jackson a scapegoat at all. He's not the biggest issue at the moment, not by a long shot. But someone suggested Jackson is rumoured to be leaving and then someone asked what he would be on, so I responded.

But Jackson hasn't played as well as he should and shouldn't be on an edge or captain. Tolman leads by example more and should be captain short term. Josh shouldn't be immune to criticism.

Last edited:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree all of those are a priority. I'm not making Jackson a scapegoat at all. He's not the biggest issue at the moment, not by a long shot. But someone suggested Jackson is rumoured to be leaving and then someone asked what he would be on, so I responded.

But Jackson hasn't played as well as he should and shouldn't be on an edge or captain. Tolman leads by example more and should be captain sort term. He shouldn't be immune to criticism.
Sure my post wasnt about you making him a scapegoat.. just a general reply to the way the thread has gone now wanting Jackson gone..

I wouldnt sack Jackson.. I would look at JMK, our halves, our centres and win and front row before Jackson..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Unlike others in our squad Jackson has performed at the highest level in the game, how about we look to replace others in our 17 who havent even ever done well at NRL level..
How about if Jacko's slary is 800k a year? That's Jake Trbo money... Could buy another up n coming lock and a gun centre with that.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Yeah even he was surprised... In all fairness Jacko had an amazing 2018. He played out of his skin every game, was part of some the best we played and lead the team nicely as first yr as captain. Good to see it was recognised but pity his shoulder is starting to play up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah even he was surprised... In all fairness Jacko had an amazing 2018. He played out of his skin every game, was part of some the best we played and lead the team nicely as first yr as captain. Good to see it was recognised but pity his shoulder is starting to play up.
Well hopefully he's moved to lock and plays like we know he can and shows us those qualities that made him an Origin regular.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
How about if Jacko's slary is 800k a year? That's Jake Trbo money... Could buy another up n coming lock and a gun centre with that.
Was well publicised that he was on 600k a year, I remember the kennel was gushing about how good value that was. Nasheed.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will not be popular as it’s a Desball approach but pick the ones with the most potential and stick with them.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well hopefully he's moved to lock and plays like we know he can and shows us those qualities that made him an Origin regular.
He moved to lock, he had a blinder but then started to struggle due to his shoulder. Having a few anchors inserted to attach the muscle back to the bone will do that. Hopefully he has a decent break and is back firing next yr.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasnt jacko dally m captain of the year last season ?
He may be on 800 thou next year, but lest we forget. On one of dessies contracts. Backended. Prob payed much less when he first sighned.