Pearce's try

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
When first watching it I thought meaney got there first.

Bulldogs 4 life page have put up a photo with a close. From the photo you can see that meaneys hand is there first.

That's another dud call

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s very hard to tell off one photo and looked line ball on the video. We have to put ourselves in a position where the ref doesn’t come into it. We had enough ball in the second half and didn’t cash in. We can’t change the refs but we can change our attack.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I thought Meaney may have.. They certainty didn't look at it for long enough and they didn't try and magnify the footage...

Unfortunately the rule favours simultaneous groundings for the attacking team so since it was sent up as a try it would have been hard to overturn.

I'm sure if it was Tedesco grounding the ball in defence though they wouldn't have awarded it so quickly.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I give up lol, Its never in favour of us no mater the call. used to it now!! That’s how sad it’s become.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It happens every week.
And our dopey ass coach and soft ass captain just cop it. The morons need to blow up and get in there faces and let them know we won't cop shit from them.

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you slow it down to millisecond, yeah maybe.

Close enough for simultaneous for me, happy for it to be given.

Pay said it best - we have 0 luck at the moment, and that was just another example.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It looks like meaneys hand is there first. But the 50/50 calls go to the favoured clubs and lol were not one. But to me it looks like who the club or player is who gets the call

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It looks like meaneys hand is there first. But the 50/50 calls go to the favoured clubs and lol were not one. But to me it looks like who the club or player is who gets the call
https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-laws-and-interpretations-2018.pdf

Scoring a Try

A try is scored when:
a. A player first grounds the ball in his opponents in goal

b. Opposing players simultaneously grounds the ball in the in goal area

c. A tackled player’s momentum carries him into the opponents in goal where he grounds the ball.

It does look like Meaney put his hand on the ball first,i.e under the hand of the attacking player..... that being the case it was not simultaneous.

That word means at the same time which if it were to the letter of the law would mean that the hands would be side by side, not one on top of the other..unless of course the NRL meaning of the word is different to that of the dictionary.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought simultaneous grounding was 'no try'?

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looked simultaneous. You can’t judge from a still shot on the opposite side of Pearce

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't know how anyone can make up their minds based on that still shot considering we can't even see Pearce's right hand because it's on the other side of the ball. To me ref called it a try and with simultaneous grounding favouring the attacking team there certainly wasn't enough evidence to overturn.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That page only recently was spreading bullshit about player turmoil. It'll end up getting NRL Lurker or Danny Dipshit writing an article off their fluff one of these days.
Probably run by a bunch of twelvies.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuck get over it.
Important to NOT get over it as it makes us feel better. Dont you get it? If we as supporters feel that we are continually robbed then we can lay off the coach and players who, despite limited ability compared to other coaches and teams, they ARE truly trying to get a result.
As seen in the still shot, Meaneys right hand is clearly UNDER Pearce right hand...A simultaneous touch is physically impossible by reason of the laws of physical of objects in motion. Pearces left hand clearly hasnt come into contact with the ball yet and so is irrelevent. If we can extrapolate the size of Meaneys hands compared to Pearces hands we can see that Meaneys hand should more likely than not fully contain Pearces hand.
However there remains from the angle of the shot a remote possibility, perhaps 5% chance, that Pearce infact got his pinky finger on the ball without it being on top or behind Meaneys hand. This could of been the case especially if Pearce has a deformed pinky finger like Bryan Fletcher. This brings us to the efficacy of the onfield referees calls of try or no try.
In the past referees would send tries up to the video ref with an opinion, without having to specify themselves if that thought it was a try or not...in fact they could say..."can you look at it because I couldnt see, or I was obstructed". The video ref even if he couldnt see himself would come back with "benefit of the doubt" Try. I seem to recall the benefit of the doubt ALWAYS goes with the attacking side.
However, as the object of the game is to do something better than your opponent to make a score, surely any benefit of any doubt should go to the defender. in such a case, utilising the laws of physics of objects in motion, as Meaneys hand is underneath Pearces hand, this should of been called No Try goal line dropout.