Not First Grade Standard

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain why we havent played the attacking style we played against the Storm.. Lots of offloads and ball movement in that First half VS Storm.. it looked good and was effective but havent seen it since..
Maybe Pay was sick that week and the players just play they game

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Stuff like that gives you no confidence that he’s going to do any better with more money to spend or a better squad. It’s going to be a repeat of Brown at Newcastle where they hide behind the rebuild excuse and he gets a free ride for 2 or 3 seasons before being badly exposed.

Saddest part is I was totally behind this new board but this re-signing is been beyond a joke. Even the notion of letting Pay and co play out this roster for this yr and next is so deterring because he cant even do that! Hopefully this news of a player revolt is true and Stevie G has a go... At least the guy knows how to talk to his players without big noting himself in the process.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The only way to fix this is to rip off the change room doors, spray them down with a hose and threaten their lives.. Works a treat in theory
or sack Pay and my Grand Daughter can coach them

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I understand that they weren't available. Pay never went with that pack anyway. Toomaga n rfm got injured in reserves. They should be in 1st grade. If he is playing guts for 8 min off the bench they toomaga can do that for a taste.
We dont know why rfm didnt start the year in fg after always starting when fit in 2018. He might have been unfit or slack at training. Coaches drop good players for disciplinary reasons all the time. And he got injured before he got much chance for a comeback.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching Melbourne carve teams up with their youngsters and backups is heart breaking because we used to be a club like that. Their Q Cup team and best youngsters playing FG are better than our whole squad.

Forget cap cheating etc, they're successful, we're not. So are the Roosters and Souths. Because they're a professionally run football club that does whatever it takes to win. This was that club for the better part of 30 years. Now they're just content with making up the numbers and making sure they play by the rules. The same ones that no one else plays by.
Very true...our club was once the club that every other club wanted to be, they used to talk about our winning culture and tough uncompromising defense. Now our club is a pathetic and heartless joint that nobody has any respect for...even our emblem has no teeth, looks placid and tired.

We are the perfect example of what happens when you have years of poor management and I’ll go as far back as the pathetic apologist Todd Greenberg and his no dickheads policy then the useless excuse for a CEO Raelene Castle...biggest mistake the club ever made.

We’ve got bigger problems than Ben Hur at the moment...fucked if I know when or if this proud club can ever regain its past glory.

Last edited:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My opposition mates are calling our team “the bye”
Guaranteed 2 points to which ever team plays us

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looking at the Dally M points awarded this week.. Cook and JMoz got 3, Klemmer and Graham got 2..

Our club should write the book on: How to dismantle a competitive NRL squad for Dummies

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some on here that are the eternal optimists and saying we should ride this out and give Pay 2-3 years before we move him on are surely now in the minority.

A good coach is not always one that wins premierships. A good coach is one that improves performance with what tools he has.

As much as I was happy to see the back of Hasler like everyone else, you cannot deny that his current list of players available at Manly is a pretty ordinary bunch. I would say that on paper our team looks better (Without CherryEvans, Walker, Trobojevic, Fonua Blake and Taufua). Yet his side are playing energetic and I dare say enterprising footy. Hasler did the same with us when he came over. He turned that 2012 side into a dominant team. He eventually lost his way with some poor recruiting in my opinion. However, what he has done with manly is undoubtable.

Pay on the other hand has dented some of our players reputations. Guys like Hoppa, Jackson, Elliott, RFM, Lewis, and Reimis Smith have all gone backwards this year under Pay. Why is that?

We all know we have an average squad, however they are starting to show signs of regressing as the season gets longer. There are no signs of consistent improvement. The odd game we have risen for but in the day in day out stakes we are definitely at the bottom of the table.

It is time for a change only so that I can start seeing that flickering light at the end of the tunnel. Knowing we won't contend is bad enough, but to think that you are on the bottom of the ladder and still going backwards is hard to take.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t turn up to the games and don’t buy memberships is the only way to force their hands

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We stacked that reserve grade team last year and it was nice to win but how many of those players are going to be long term NRL players? It means nothing now.
Just from memory I'd say more than half that team has NRL potential, being Harper, Okunbor, To'omaga, Brown, Ogden, Martin, Smith and Garlick. Plus Burr of course at the Warriors. Whether they reach their full long, term potential, who knows, I don't have a crystal ball.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The other factor I have noticed is the amount of players who seemed ordinary at our club who have gone on and played well at other clubs. So many amongst other teams line ups who were with us but are doing better somewhere else.....why is that?
How did Kasiano go at the Storm?
Woolford, how's he going at Newcastle?

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just from memory I'd say more than half that team has NRL potential, being Harper, Okunbor, To'omaga, Brown, Ogden, Martin, Smith and Garlick. Plus Burr of course at the Warriors. Whether they reach their full long, term potential, who knows, I don't have a crystal ball.

Go Dogs
No one knows how they will go but I doubt Garlick ever plays NRL.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I was happy to see the back of Hasler like everyone else, you cannot deny that his current list of players available at Manly is a pretty ordinary bunch.
Seriously, are you suggesting you wouldn't trade more than half their team, being Taupau, TTrbojevic, JTrbojevic, Cherry-Evans, Walker, Fonua-Blake and Koroisau for the same positions in our team? Far from ordinary, TT and DCE can win a game for you on their own.

Go Dogs

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one knows how they will go but I doubt Garlick ever plays NRL.
Garlick is having a great yr in reggies… He may come good sooner or later, I wouldn't right the kid off.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The interesting fact in all this is, pay said start of the season that we will be playing a flat at the line style of play. Yet all we seem to do is play way before the line.
Pay seems to have the right idea on how the game should be played in 2019, why it’s not working on the field is a mystery.
It's simple....we don't have the cattle
My thoughts are the players just can’t play to these structures.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain why we havent played the attacking style we played against the Storm.. Lots of offloads and ball movement in that First half VS Storm.. it looked good and was effective but havent seen it since..
They must have tried it vs dragons, which was the game after melbourne, and failed badly. According to elliot they tried to do a bit of ball movement instead of trying to match the dragons forwards first and getting into arm wrestle early in the game. Their probably lost confidence after that.
I thought they still try to shift the ball early now and then but the execution havent been good. Who knows how/why it worked when we played melbourne

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Seriously, are you suggesting you wouldn't trade more than half their team, being Taupau, TTrbojevic, JTrbojevic, Cherry-Evans, Walker, Fonua-Blake and Koroisau for the same positions in our team? Far from ordinary, TT and DCE can win a game for you on their own.

Go Dogs
I think his point was they have been missing all of those players except for Jake Trbojevic and Taupau for sustained periods and still have been competitive or winning games and playing a surprisingly good style of footy.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How did Kasiano go at the Storm?
Woolford, how's he going at Newcastle?

Go Dogs
There's a pretty decent list that has. Enough floating around that had the previous lot been any good then we wouldn't need a rebuild that's for damn sure!