SMH Panthers looking to offload Dylan Edwards.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/panthers-attempt-to-squeeze-out-dylan-edwards-20190508-p51la8.html

Dylan Edwards is set to be the first casualty of Penrith’s horror start to the season, with the club attempting to offload the unwanted fullback in a move that could result in him becoming North Queensland’s fallback option for Valentine Holmes.

Edwards, contracted to the Panthers until the end of 2021, began the year as the club’s first-choice No.1. It was a huge show of confidence given the club also had the Kiwis custodian and captain Dallin Watene-Zelezniak on its books.

However, Edwards has fallen out of favour in what has been a difficult start to the season. The 23-year-old was incorrectly identified as being involved in the Panthers’ sex video saga, a drama that took a toll on his young family. He has spoken publicly about the collateral damage the case of mistaken identity has caused and those close to him believe it has also affected his on-field form.

After starting at fullback in the opening four rounds, he was shifted to the wing before being dropped altogether to reserve grade. With Caleb Aitkens now coach Ivan Cleary’s preferred fullback, the Panthers are allowing Edwards to explore his options despite him having more than two-and-a-half years to run on his contract.

To his credit, Edwards is attempting to make the best of a difficult situation. He was handed the captaincy of Penrith’s Canterbury Cup team following his demotion last week and was named man of the match in the upset victory over the previously undefeated Mounties side.

“It was a good win on the weekend, we had few boys out,” Edwards told the Panthers website.

“Everyone who showed up on the day just turned up and did their job and really competed for the 80. We were lucky to get away with the win.”

With several regulars unavailable - including Hame Sele, Tyrell Fuimaono and Jarome Luai - Edwards was named captain.

“That was good, I didn’t mind the job,” he said.

“The regular leaders were out of the game, so the guys told me I would be captain.

“I just tried to lead the boys out and hope for a good result. That’s what we got.

“There were a couple of boys, as I walked into the sheds, I hadn’t seen them before and had to introduce myself.

“It was pretty funny, about an hour before kick-off and you are meeting blokes for the first time.”

Wouldn't be a bad buy in all honesty, and Panthers would be paying part of his wages for a few years.

Change of scenery and put him alongside fellow ex Panthers in CHN and Crichton. Who knows... could be a good pickup at a cheap price.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
While a pretty talented guy I don’t think we have the roster spots or cap space to be buying backups for our backups. We need genuine first graders with strike power. Players that are 100% better than what we have in those positions

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
While a pretty talented guy I don’t think we have the roster spots or cap space to be buying backups for our backups. We need genuine first graders with strike power. Players that are 100% better than what we have in those positions
Good to put him on the wing and replace idris,
As for cap space if rumours are true Lichaa to roosters and Martin to eels will free up some coin.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As of today roosters don’t want lichaa anymore. I’m also pretty sure when we resigned Martin it was last year when it was well publicised we had no money so I can’t imagine him freeing up alot

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As of today roosters don’t want lichaa anymore. I’m also pretty sure when we resigned Martin it was last year when it was well publicised we had no money so I can’t imagine him freeing up alot
Huh?

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reported today that the roosters aren’t taking discussions with lichaa any further.

Rhys Martin signed on for one year (2019) last year while we had massive cap issues. In other words he signed for fuck all just to stay in nrl to prove his worth to another club with more to spend.
So even if one or both of them leave it will not free up a lot of money

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmmmm..Maybe , but I prefer Meaney!! Unless this is a back up type roll.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
the boy should go to the titans, dunno if they want Brimson at 6 or 1, but both would work well together

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Edwards was impressive when he first burst onto the scene but his form this season has been pretty bad. Hopefully for his sake, a change of scenery will rejuvenate him and we see the player we saw when he debuted.

The Cowboys desperately need a fullback and if they sign him and Robson then those are two good signings for them

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/panthers-attempt-to-squeeze-out-dylan-edwards-20190508-p51la8.html

Dylan Edwards is set to be the first casualty of Penrith’s horror start to the season, with the club attempting to offload the unwanted fullback in a move that could result in him becoming North Queensland’s fallback option for Valentine Holmes.

Edwards, contracted to the Panthers until the end of 2021, began the year as the club’s first-choice No.1. It was a huge show of confidence given the club also had the Kiwis custodian and captain Dallin Watene-Zelezniak on its books.

However, Edwards has fallen out of favour in what has been a difficult start to the season. The 23-year-old was incorrectly identified as being involved in the Panthers’ sex video saga, a drama that took a toll on his young family. He has spoken publicly about the collateral damage the case of mistaken identity has caused and those close to him believe it has also affected his on-field form.

After starting at fullback in the opening four rounds, he was shifted to the wing before being dropped altogether to reserve grade. With Caleb Aitkens now coach Ivan Cleary’s preferred fullback, the Panthers are allowing Edwards to explore his options despite him having more than two-and-a-half years to run on his contract.

To his credit, Edwards is attempting to make the best of a difficult situation. He was handed the captaincy of Penrith’s Canterbury Cup team following his demotion last week and was named man of the match in the upset victory over the previously undefeated Mounties side.

“It was a good win on the weekend, we had few boys out,” Edwards told the Panthers website.

“Everyone who showed up on the day just turned up and did their job and really competed for the 80. We were lucky to get away with the win.”

With several regulars unavailable - including Hame Sele, Tyrell Fuimaono and Jarome Luai - Edwards was named captain.

“That was good, I didn’t mind the job,” he said.

“The regular leaders were out of the game, so the guys told me I would be captain.

“I just tried to lead the boys out and hope for a good result. That’s what we got.

“There were a couple of boys, as I walked into the sheds, I hadn’t seen them before and had to introduce myself.

“It was pretty funny, about an hour before kick-off and you are meeting blokes for the first time.”

Wouldn't be a bad buy in all honesty, and Panthers would be paying part of his wages for a few years.

Change of scenery and put him alongside fellow ex Panthers in CHN and Crichton. Who knows... could be a good pickup at a cheap price.
He’s shit

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe Clarity wants to lure Mbye over

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Clarity wants to lure Mbye over
Mbye isn't going anywhere on that deal. We did well to rid ourselves of him!

Aekins is their fullback moving forward. He was Reserve Grade player of the year for the whole competition and has been groomed as their long term fullback for a few years.