Mum's horrific ordeal as peak-hour train leaves with baby inside

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...inside/ar-AAB0H6a?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

A mother watched in horror as the doors of a Melbourne peak-hour train closed, separating her from her baby and heading for the next station - while she was left on the platform.

Metro Trains Melbourne has confirmed the ordeal at Southern Cross Station, which began when mother and baby were trying to board a Belgrave-bound train at 5.30pm on Friday.

The mother spent four terrifying minutes separated form her child, as the baby travelled to Flagstaff.

A spokesman said the company was reviewing the CCTV footage and speaking to witnesses to work out how it unfolded and could not confirm reports of the train doors first closing on the pram, or the mother's arm.

"We need to review the CCTV to see if that's the case," the spokesman said. "Some eyewitnesses are saying different things. We don't know the exact circumstances."

Panicked commuters inside the train managed to alert the driver, who then relayed the details back to Southern Cross and assured passengers over the speakers that the family would be reunited at the next station, Flagstaff.

The Southern Cross station manager travelled with the mother on the next train to Flagstaff, where she and her baby were reunited.

They were separated by a total of four minutes and about 1km. The spokesman said the mother was, understandably, relieved at the outcome and had not made a formal complaint.

He said trains were electronically disabled until all doors were fully closed, however small items such as scarves might not trip the circuit.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Now how on Earth can something like this happen?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Would like to see the CCTV. Gonna assume the mum is a dumbass.

Wahesh

Reaction score
True, but it still happens right?
Would like to see the CCTV. Gonna assume the mum is a dumbass.
You see what I notice is the doors on the train close, the guard takes one final look to see make sure the doors are fully closed, then gives the signal to the driver to take off. Perhaps the mother stuffed up here but the guard will be at fault here by the looks of things.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah that seems plausible as well.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You see what I notice is the doors on the train close, the guard takes one final look to see make sure the doors are fully closed, then gives the signal to the driver to take off. Perhaps the mother stuffed up here but the guard will be at fault here by the looks of things.
Or shes pushed the baby in the pram onto the train, then gone back to the seat to pick other stuff up, and in that time they've cleared it and taken off.

@Ecca would be the guy who would have an insight into the procedures and how this may happen.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Or shes pushed the baby in the pram onto the train, then gone back to the seat to pick other stuff up, and in that time they've cleared it and taken off.

@Ecca would be the guy who would have an insight into the procedures and how this may happen.
Honestly, I'm not completely up to date with guards procedures, because I just sit up front and wait for them to give me the bell to tell me to go, then I go..

That said, here is a few things.

In Vic Metro, they use a driver only model, which means there is no guards, and the driver, who, also has to have his eyes on the road is responsible for makings sure the doors are closed, the platform is clear, and it is safe to proceed (i.e he is not sitting at a stop signal), as such I think these extra duties, would add to the increased risk of this occurring.

Here, on the older trains (Silver, Millennium, Tangara, OSCAR) the guard works from the 5th car (of 8), and can generally see both the front and rear of the train (at least the boarding areas i.e. doors), as such he/she makes sure the passengers are warned the doors are closing, closes the door, and also when it is safe to proceed, indicates to the driver by sounding a bell that it is clear to depart. The guard also watches the platform as the train is departing, and if there is any need to stop (emergency etc), sounds a bell signal to the driver, who would stop immediately.

To summarise, NSW has guards who work with the driver to ensure safety for everyone, VIC has just the driver

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It could just be one of those very unfortunate incidents that thankfully doesn't occur very often. Thankfully it all turned out ok.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not completely up to date with guards procedures, because I just sit up front and wait for them to give me the bell to tell me to go, then I go..

In Vic Metro, they use a driver only model, which means there is no guards, and the driver, who, also has to have his eyes on the road is responsible for makings sure the doors are closed, the platform is clear, and it is safe to proceed (i.e he is not sitting at a stop signal), as such I think these extra duties, would add to the increased risk of this occurring.

Here, on the older trains (Silver, Millennium, Tangara, OSCAR) the guard works from the 5th car (of 8), and can generally see both the front and rear of the train (at least the boarding areas i.e. doors), as such he/she makes sure the passengers are warned the doors are closing, closes the door, and also when it is safe to proceed, indicates to the driver by sounding a bell that it is clear to depart. The guard also watches the platform as the train is departing, and if there is any need to stop (emergency etc), sounds a bell signal to the driver, who would stop immediately.

To summarise, NSW has guards who work with the driver to ensure safety for everyone, VIC has just the driver
They don't have train guards in Victoria? Well there lies your problem.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They certainly don't
I was in Melbourne last week, and can't recall either way for sure. I'm pretty sure there were no guards at the suburban station I used (but as it was evening, there were two transit cops milling around), but you would think they would at least have something in place in the busier stations (like Southern Cross)....

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I was in Melbourne last week, and can't recall either way for sure. I'm pretty sure there were no guards at the suburban station I used (but as it was evening, there were two transit cops milling around), but you would think they would at least have something in place in the busier stations (like Southern Cross)....
There is a difference between Guards and Station staff, Guards ride on the train, and have duties on that one train, station staff are at each station.

Take Wynyard for example,
The station Staff position themselves along the platform, at departure time they hold a flag up to indicate to the guard that it is safe to close the doors and proceed, the guard then closes the door, confirms it is safe, then tells the driver it is safe

but 100% no guards in Melbourne

Wahesh

Reaction score
There is a difference between Guards and Station staff, Guards ride on the train, and have duties on that one train, station staff are at each station.

The station Staff position themselves along the platform, at departure time they hold a flag up to indicate to the guard that it is safe to close the doors and proceed, the guard then closes the door, confirms it is safe, then tells the driver it is safe

I was on the train to Hurstville once and saw inside the guards compartment. The bloke was playing some game on his iPhone.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Cheers for the insight Ecca... that's something I've learned today :D

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I c. Thanks.

I used to catch trains daily in Sydney, but these days I might get one every couple of months.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
4 harrowing minutes ?
Gimme a fucken break.
The driver and station manager knew within a minute, and the station manager accompanied her to the next station where her kid was being cared for, till she got there.
Sounds like a well executed response to an incident that the mother caused.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
4 harrowing minutes ?
Gimme a fucken break.
The driver and station manager knew within a minute, and the station manager accompanied her to the next station where her kid was being cared for, till she got there.
Sounds like a well executed response to an incident that the mother caused.
Next minute..

THIS WEEK ON A CURRENT AFFAIR... Mothers turmoil as Vic Rail train leaves with her baby onboard...