Roosters are in for a big battle

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cracks opening in relationship between Latrell Mitchell and Roosters

Before he retired, Greg Inglis had a simple piece of advice for Latrell Mitchell: ‘‘Be your own man.’’
It was said in the heart of Roosters territory at Bondi Icebergs and it was said before the pair were going to clash in round one. It was said when Inglis was still a player and Mitchell was being called the next Greg Inglis.

Our item last week where we revealed the Roosters feared Souths were preparing to make a big play for the star centre has gained significant traction and momentum. Some have dismissed it, but those who are aware of the issues Mitchell is dealing with know that there is plenty going on behind the scenes. Right now there is a crack in the relationship between Mitchell and the Roosters.

Pressure mounts: There is plenty going on behind the scenes at the Roosters with Latrell Mitchell.

Photo: AAP
You can be sure the Roosters will treat Mitchell with all the love and respect that he deserves – as the best and most exciting young player in the game.

The club knows there are external forces telling Mitchell that to reach his true potential as a player and to make the money that he deserves, he needs to be playing fullback. That won’t happen at the Roosters. Not while James Tedesco is at the club.

And Tedesco said during the week in an interview with Channel Nine news that he wants to play out the rest of his career at the Bondi club. That may explain why Mitchell is showing interest in a permanent move to five-eighth when Luke Keary moves in to play half after Cooper Cronk calls it quits.

Beyond positional considerations, there are family pressures weighing on Mitchell: a constant theme is that family members have a genuine fondness for South Sydney.

There is also a feeling from the Mitchell family that not enough was done by the Roosters for Latrell’s brother Shaq, a young forward with loads of potential. His issues were weight and injury.

The Roosters will say – and provide evidence – that they did everything possible to help Shaq make it in the big time. The last we heard, he injured himself in a local NFL tryout when he was thinking of giving American football a crack. The Roosters have monitored his life and they provided help with a job he was trying to get.

Latrell is also in the middle of a split from his long-time agent, Steve Deacon, the former Easts centre. This issue was discussed by Roosters officials during the week. The Roosters fear Mitchell will link up with agent Matt Rose – a close friend of Mitchell, who also does fight promotion.

Mitchell was at the weigh-in when Paul Gallen fought John Hopoate. He just hung out in a corner of the room and politely declined interview requests. The theory is that if Rose takes charge of his career, Mitchell will end up at Souths. The Rabbitohs are privately hoping that is what happens.

Coup signing: Souths are still hoping to lure Mitchell to Redfern.

Photo: AAP
But that’s not to say Rose has a great relationship with Souths officials, although his biggest star, Cody Walker, is at the club.

Wayde Rushton, who manages Kalyn Ponga, is another being mentioned as a potential agent.

The Mitchell case certainly is a fascinating one. It’s a tribute to his ability that he is still managing to star on the field.

Has there been any confirmation about that rumour that the Dogs signed Latrell's brother?

It's obvious Latrell wants the million dollar a year salary and now the Roosters cant pay it unless they do some major roster culling

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How true any of this is, I don't know. Souths have (in the past) stated they don't pay big money for backs, and apart from Inglis (who was a purchase way back), this seems to be correct.

I reckon this is all paper talk to keep the pages full.

Alex Hunter

Dog4Life
Reaction score
They simply won’t be able to hold onto Mitchell due to salary cap restraints LOL

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Obviously our club and everyone else will try and make an offer for him. Once he moves to fullback or 5/8th he'd easily be worth $1.2 million plus...

As unlikely as it is and I can only really see him playing for the Rorters or Souths, our club should throw as big an offer as it takes to make him at least consider us for half a second.. Signing his brother was probably for this exact reason and can only give us more of a chance. However slim those chances might be...

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So if Foran was to leave we could afford him. I know who I would rather have.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense to me. Roosters could win another 2-3 premierships in the next 5 years if Tedesco, Keary and Mitchell stay together.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another story that warms your heart, souffs going after a top player who would be close to being the worlds best player atm and then you look at what we just signed (Okunbor) FUCK this shit's me to tears.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
By the way this comes from Weedler. I sense there is some truth to the Souths link but we can't trust anything this germ writes or says.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The bloke is a beast,playing outstanding footy and I wonder if I will still be alive when the dogs have a player of that calibre at the club again lol

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
IF he leave Roosters (big IF), it'll only be to go to one other club - Souths. They've got the money with Inglis retiring.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Parents want him to stay at Roosters. Only reason Souths are getting a mention is because Inglis left and Mitchells dad supports Souths.

If Inglis stays, or his dad supported another club Souths wouldn't even feature in these articles.

Nothing more than media filling their pages with shit, and a player manager trying to line his pockets by playing with a club who have money to spare.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will be happy to see Mitchell leave the Rorter$.. the more players they lose the better..