Consolidated Pay Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Who would you sign Scooby that would attract these big name players?
Tim Sheens and Holbrook combo. We need someone experience and teaches the kids , sheen can attract players and with Holbrook ready to step in after a couple yrs and sheen steps to football director roll.we have a 3nto 5 plan.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tim Sheens and Holbrook combo. We need someone experience and teaches the kids , sheen can attract players and with Holbrook ready to step in after a couple yrs and sheen steps to football director roll.we have a 3nto 5 plan.
I don’t know man, a 68 year old who hasn’t coached in the NRL since 2012 is a pretty fair risk.

Similar age to Bennett I know, but hasn’t done even a 1/10 of what he has...

This is what I’m getting at, it’s not like there’s a tonne of quality out there waiting for a gig....

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The titans aren't too flash. There's other teams who have battled through with pretty poor sides, Manly when we played them is an example, their back 5 on paper was terrible.
Im not a Pay fan by a long shot, but, the dogs have the worse 30 man squad in the league.

If there is a worse squad, name the club, and compare each player positions

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’ll be our coach next year. But 2020 will be someone new. I’d suggest a big name coach to attract some big players. 2021-2025 dogs to become a powerhouse again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Holbrook is the ideal candidate in my opinion. He coached here, did well, went to St. Helen's which is a huge club and has done well there. He's young, progressive and has earned his opportunity. If it's not with us, another NRL club will give him a shot.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Holbrook is the ideal candidate in my opinion. He coached here, did well, went to St. Helen's which is a huge club and has done well there. He's young, progressive and has earned his opportunity. If it's not with us, another NRL club will give him a shot.
Sounds eerily like someone else....

**thinks

Ummm Nathan Brown?

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
And for what it’s worth:

Pay - won 10 lost 22
Brown - won 18 lost 68 drawn 1

Interesting numbers.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my opinion I think he won’t be here next year, considering we won’t be winning any games this year, we couldn’t even beat a severely depleted manly side, and this team just doesn’t have any mental toughness and right coaching it’s non existent. And also pay is not the kind of coach that players will be enticed to come here and play under when we are recruiting, he basically just doesn’t have what we need. I think the board re signed him just on the basis that the playing group wouldn’t be unsettled for the time being and give them time to look for another option. IMO there’s no way he stays for another 12 months.
No he'll be there for next year but if he doesn't get results in the early rounds of next year he'll be under pressure but I can't see him NOT being there until his contract expires at the end of next season. It's not as if the players aren't trying and we currently have the least amount of experienced first grade players in the competition and that is why they're blooding some of the younger players like Jayden Okunbor who will only improve with the experience he's getting but in my opinion should go back to the Canterbury Cup as he's been caught out more often than not in first grade and while I believe he'll be a great player for us in time I'd be putting Crichton back on the wing as he has more pace and was a regular first grader out at Penrith. Foran is more chance than Pay not being there next year when you consider he was a signing from the previous regime and is on ridiculous money and has been out of the side more times than he's been in. He's not worth the money they're paying for him and the current board tried to release on medical grounds last year but he dug in and wouldn't budge on his current contract with the "Dogs. Don't blame him with the money he's on. I would like to see Renouf Toomaga back in the first grade side soon and wouldn't be the least surprised to see Morgan Harper in the top grade sooner rather than later.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sheens has gone shithouse in the SL. Holbrook don't need no help.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay will be here next year. If he sucks then a new coach will get to the opportunity to shape the squad they see fit with all that free cap space we’ve lacked for years

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interesting thread ....

Honest question lads. If foran played against the eagles, would we have won?

If the answer is yes, and I think it will be, then I'd wait to pass complete judgement on pay until these two have got back and have a few games under their belts.

It's like some of you have forgotten how terrible our roster is. Having our two best players our is MASSIVE

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sounds eerily like someone else....

**thinks

Ummm Nathan Brown?
Or McGuire/Robinson. Both had success in the ESL before coaching here. It could go either way. You don't know if you don't try.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The irony was we played like a robotic pre meditated Hasler team

But Haslers team played eyes up footy and won
I went to the game and watched it back twice later. With due respect if youve taped the game watch it again. I also spoke with Mark Gasnier on the field after the game...he offered that the dogs were unlucky tonight...other than the initial onslaught of manly, he thought the Dogs were the better side. I agree with him.
Consider that if CHN grabs the ball from the grubber rather than forcing a ball 2 feet in the air onto the ground maintaining contact the whole time, and the refs pull back any of the 6 Manly forward passes that gave them field position at critical times, then manly would not of scored at least 2 of the penalties and the Dogs win.
It was stupid Holland racing out of the line, together with our stupid online compressed defence in the first 15 minutes that allowed manly to open with the 2 tries. After that time, Manly did NOTHING...while we scored 2 tries.
Lets also not forget Manly have just beaten Souths and Raiders (both in the top 4) and should of beaten St Merge if not for referring blunder and you can see that we played well against Manly and if we had got the even our fair share of 50/50 calls go our way, and or our inexperienced team dont have brain explosions like Lewises pass to the 3rd row or Holland basketball tap ons...then Dogs win that game.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the game and watched it back twice later. With due respect if youve taped the game watch it again. I also spoke with Mark Gasnier on the field after the game...he offered that the dogs were unlucky tonight...other than the initial onslaught of manly, he thought the Dogs were the better side. I agree with him.
Consider that if CHN grabs the ball from the grubber rather than forcing a ball 2 feet in the air onto the ground maintaining contact the whole time, and the refs pull back any of the 6 Manly forward passes that gave them field position at critical times, then manly would not of scored at least 2 of the penalties and the Dogs win.
It was stupid Holland racing out of the line, together with our stupid online compressed defence in the first 15 minutes that allowed manly to open with the 2 tries. After that time, Manly did NOTHING...while we scored 2 tries.
Lets also not forget Manly have just beaten Souths and Raiders (both in the top 4) and should of beaten St Merge if not for referring blunder and you can see that we played well against Manly and if we had got the even our fair share of 50/50 calls go our way, and or our inexperienced team dont have brain explosions like Lewises pass to the 3rd row or Holland basketball tap ons...then Dogs win that game.
We just don’t get any luck in games. ATM bounce of ball doesn’t go our way or any 50/50 calls. Luck has to change soon

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We just don’t get any luck in games. ATM bounce of ball doesn’t go our way or any 50/50 calls. Luck has to change soon
Yup we definitely get robbed of 50/50 and dud calls, I’ve also said this as have many.. but we Also don’t help ourselves with style of play etc.. missing a few cogs in this machine to make us great again...!!

And your right,our luck/something has to and needs to change VERY soon.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He'll be here next year. Board won't sack him and pay him out because it makes them no better than the mob they outed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Totally agree, a more experienced team would have won that game. Calmed down, been more patient and taken the opportunities when they were presented instead of making rash decisions and avoided the errors that come from that. Can’t teach that stuff quickly, it comes from experience. That’s why swapping in even less experienced players won’t help.

Go Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.