Stat Attack: Hopoate producing huge numbers despite centre switch

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
0BEDCBA4-BD16-42B1-B8BC-FA11BED081DE.jpeg He's leading the Telstra Premiership for most carries in the game but a high work rate is nothing new for Canterbury utility Will Hopoate despite a switch of positions in recent weeks.

The emergence of Nick Meaney at fullback has switched the Bulldogs' most consistent outside back to the centres but the work output hasn't affected him.

Where some clubs struggle to utilise their centres enough in the modern game, Hopoate leads the competition for most carries on 134, three ahead of former Bulldogs teammate David Klemmer, who has seen an increased volume of work since joining Newcastle.

The 26-year-old has averaged 138.4 metres per game since shifting to the centres in round three.

His overall numbers are on track with his personal best totals since joining the club in 2016.

"I just enjoy being around the ball and try to help the side out as much as I can," Hopoate told NRL.com.

"There's no pre-meditated number I think about or anything like that and I don't think it matters where you are on the field.

"Some players pick and choose their time to get involved and that's OK too."

The Bulldogs are chasing back-to-back wins for the first time in 2019 on Saturday afternoon but are wary of a depleted Sea Eagles outfit missing the likes of skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, Tom Trbojevic and Jorge Taufua, and coached by former Canterbury mentor Des Hasler.

"We're not going to be complacent, it's been hard for us to notch a few wins together this season," Hopoate said.

"Especially playing under Des I know what he brings. They've been winning without Tom Trbojevic and have guys there who can do a good job."

Hopoate, a former Sea Eagle himself, said the players at Canterbury held no grudges towards their former coach who was let go ahead of the 2018 season in bitter fashion.

"It's been almost two years now since that happened, everyone's moved on," he said.

"It is what it is. He's a great coach and has got the boys performing their roles there well.

"A lot of teams he's coached they focus on defence. We're expecting a physical battle and for them to turn up defensively.

"I think that's what has won them a lot of games this year."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...producing-huge-numbers-despite-centre-switch/

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Been absolutely brilliant so far this season. Not over exaggerating, he has the best hands in the league. Would like him to improve his foot speed and quickness of the mark but apart from that, nothing to really complain about.
Hands are silky soft

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa has looked so much more at home in the centres this year then he did last year. The combo with Reimis is starting to develop as well.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One of the most underrated players in the side and by far the most consistent.

Him Tolman and Elliott should get a lot more plaudits than they currently do imo

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am the first to admit that I was his harshest critic. However, he is now playing the best football he has ever played.
He still lacks the necessary speed to be a great player, and his defence is sometimes lacking.
However he has the footy skills to overcome these liabilities to some extent, and he is using those skills this season. I think Dean Pay is having a good effect on him.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even more than his nos having a player with some experience in our backline is important.. must be the youngest 1-7 in the comp

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wow can't believe he is still only 26 lol

Might be a future captain of the club?
That's what debuting in FG at 18 and a couple months in 2010 does to you.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very good to see, such a good player without standing out too much.. does his job well and for the team! Nice stats indeed. Will need more of that again tomorrow!!