News Bulldogs earn praise after ditching spoiling tactics

Son Of Dogzilla

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
still cracks me up that the NRL can't or won't see the way Melbourne play, who are clearly lengths ahead of everyone as the worst offenders in the play the ball area.

Reactions: DT

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
wheres the mention of the Storm... seems they get off this week as well.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
why is he commenting at all about our play?

referees boss should stick to managing the referees, edit: or whatever the fuck he does

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You think a clear team ploy to slow down the ruck all game was reactional?
It's against the rules to slow down the ruck , if that was a team ploy it was risky..

A better ploy wouldve been second phase play

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It wouldve made more sense to play that way against the storm then.
No that's how the Storm want it, the more wrestle the better and they will always win. Teams have been intentionally giving away penalties for a few years now, especially on their own try line as it's better with a reset defensive line.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
There's no way Pay orchestrated that. Why would he put us on the back foot by suggesting penalty invoking play?
It's more logical to say the players were being reactional.
It’s penalty invoking only when you start conceding penalties which we didn’t so he sent the order to keep going until we do. Teams are always milking the rules until thye get a warning or a penalty. I hardly watch any footy except for every Dogs match and the occasional top line match every other weekend and even I know that.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why is he commenting at all about our play?

referees boss should stick to managing the referees, edit: or whatever the fuck he does
Spot on mate. Just get his refs to do their job.
Pretty sure if perenara penalised the dogs enough in the early stage of the south game, dogs would adjust.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's against the rules to slow down the ruck , if that was a team ploy it was risky..

A better ploy wouldve been second phase play
At least one coach in one game uses this as the whole basis of their game management strategy in every single round. Probably more. It's all about winning the rock. This is why almost every team in the NRL employs a fulltime wrestling coach.
20 years or so ago there was no wrestle. Very little anyway. Then Bellamy start it all and co subsequently introduced all of these illegal tackles into the game like the chicken wing. The chicken wing is a deliberate play to help get the player to the ground faster and then keep them from getting to their feet quickly, by applying pressure to a particular joint which then makes it painful for the tackles player to move.
Slowing down the ruck can at times be a risky ploy to gain back the ascendancy or advantage, but it's used in every single game. Players always spend the first 20 mins of the game testing the ref to see how lenient he will be, by playing on the tackles player to slow things down. Sometimes it works and they manage to control the tempo, and other times it doesn't because they are penalised all game for it. The penalty gives the other team field position, but also allows you to set your line.
But let me make this clear, slowing down the ruck is practiced by every team, every week. Some teams just seem to always get away with it. By this I mean Melbourne!!!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least one coach in one game uses this as the whole basis of their game management strategy in every single round. Probably more. It's all about winning the rock. This is why almost every team in the NRL employs a fulltime wrestling coach.
20 years or so ago there was no wrestle. Very little anyway. Then Bellamy start it all and co subsequently introduced all of these illegal tackles into the game like the chicken wing. The chicken wing is a deliberate play to help get the player to the ground faster and then keep them from getting to their feet quickly, by applying pressure to a particular joint which then makes it painful for the tackles player to move.
Slowing down the ruck can at times be a risky ploy to gain back the ascendancy or advantage, but it's used in every single game. Players always spend the first 20 mins of the game testing the ref to see how lenient he will be, by playing on the tackles player to slow things down. Sometimes it works and they manage to control the tempo, and other times it doesn't because they are penalised all game for it. The penalty gives the other team field position, but also allows you to set your line.
But let me make this clear, slowing down the ruck is practiced by every team, every week. Some teams just seem to always get away with it. By this I mean Melbourne!!!
ive actually heard a few people credit Wayne Bennet for bringing wrestling into the game, which then bellamy (who was under bennett at the time) took it to melbourne and took it to a new level.. so quite ironic from Bennett..

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
still cracks me up that the NRL can't or won't see the way Melbourne play, who are clearly lengths ahead of everyone as the worst offenders in the play the ball area.
No, no. Their tactics are fine. That cancer **** of a club has put a man in a wheelchair for life but no, Canterbury bad. Their tactics were 4 seconds instead of 3... Evil club.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ive actually heard a few people credit Wayne Bennet for bringing wrestling into the game, which then bellamy (who was under bennett at the time) took it to melbourne and took it to a new level.. so quite ironic from Bennett..
Could well be the case tbh.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Interestingly enough did anyone watch the spoiling tactics used by Souths last week?

I found it no different to any week from the Rabbitohs...walking off the mark, hands on the ball, offside they do it every week.....

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I found it no different to any week from the Rabbitohs...walking off the mark, hands on the ball, offside they do it every week.....
I know but the difference was their Coach had just publicly whinged about another team doing it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know but the difference was their Coach had just publicly whinged about another team doing it.
Yeah I get where you are coming from but I just meant that they do it every week anyway....;)

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
wheres the mention of the Storm... seems they get off this week as well.
He Also says we can't blame the reffs for the shit call against warriors. All this talk of teams should just do the right thing and try to get off as quick as possible and the 2 warriors players started getting up quick so they try for a quick play ball and fuck it up. There is no way he justify that call by saying the warriors look like they held on a bit to long cause bromich wasn't even standing up before he played the ball

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How about the spotlight come off the team running last this week eh refs?

As from what I could see, you guys were doing your right level best to keep they Cowboys in the game (especially at 18-6) down after a long break, where a sin bin or penalty for offside were both FUCKING OBVIOUS and yet your FUCKTARD referee did neither, conveniently keeping NQ in the game.

This is just fucking ludicrous.